Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

They are only a bit less then 200 miles away, and if they have a crate it would probably slide in the back of my new truck with the dinky 5 1/2' bed with the 'gate down. If they don't have it crated I can take the trailer.

I have a toolbox in the back of my Ranger, and with the tailgate down, I was able to fit my D60 in the back with no overhang, but it had to be angled in the bed. However, that was also an SRW axle, a DRW axle will be longer and I would probably bring a trailer for that.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are only a bit less then 200 miles away, and if they have a crate it would probably slide in the back of my new truck with the dinky 5 1/2' bed with the 'gate down. If they don't have it crated I can take the trailer.

I have a toolbox in the back of my Ranger, and with the tailgate down, I was able to fit my D60 in the back with no overhang, but it had to be angled in the bed. However, that was also an SRW axle, a DRW axle will be longer and I would probably bring a trailer for that.

Good to know, thanks. I got the trailer out yesterday as it hasn't rained for 3 days so the ground was hard enough I didn't leave ruts. But we are to have two rounds of storms today and then several more during the coming week. I wanted to be ready in case I find "the right thing".

I say "the right thing" because I don't know if it is an axle, and axle with springs and panhard rod, or a whole truck. Anyway, I'm now ready. :nabble_smiley_good:

I want to be ready in case I find "the right thing".

I say "the right thing" because I don't know if it is an axle, and axle with springs and panhard rod, or a whole truck.

I thought the right thing, and the purpose of this fishing expedition, was to replace Big Blue's cross member?

Like I said, I'd go upstate looking for an F-350 but it's way out of your range and shipping would be prohibitive.

I want to be ready in case I find "the right thing".

I say "the right thing" because I don't know if it is an axle, and axle with springs and panhard rod, or a whole truck.

I thought the right thing, and the purpose of this fishing expedition, was to replace Big Blue's cross member?

Like I said, I'd go upstate looking for an F-350 but it's way out of your range and shipping would be prohibitive.

The way I've described it is that the cross member is a MUST. Say it is the "cake" for my birthday party. A D60 is icing on the cake, and Super Duty springs represents the candles. You can't have a birthday party w/o cake, but you could have cake w/o icing - and at my age a cake w/o candles is much safer. :nabble_smiley_what:

I have the cross member located, close by and only $50. But I'm coming to the conclusion that the way to get the best ride is to source this piecemeal. Cross member there, D60 where I can find it, and SuperDuty springs from wherever. (Actually, the salvage that has the cross member may have the SD springs and was to check yesterday. She called back close to quitting time and I missed the call. And they are closed today, so I don't yet know.)

The downside to a piecemeal approach is that it is probably more expensive. The upside is there is a lot less work and time for me in parting out the truck. And:

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping

Into the future

The way I've described it is that the cross member is a MUST. Say it is the "cake" for my birthday party. A D60 is icing on the cake, and Super Duty springs represents the candles. You can't have a birthday party w/o cake, but you could have cake w/o icing - and at my age a cake w/o candles is much safer. :nabble_smiley_what:

I have the cross member located, close by and only $50. But I'm coming to the conclusion that the way to get the best ride is to source this piecemeal. Cross member there, D60 where I can find it, and SuperDuty springs from wherever. (Actually, the salvage that has the cross member may have the SD springs and was to check yesterday. She called back close to quitting time and I missed the call. And they are closed today, so I don't yet know.)

The downside to a piecemeal approach is that it is probably more expensive. The upside is there is a lot less work and time for me in parting out the truck. And:

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping

Into the future

Sorry. I didn't realize that you already had a line on a cross member.

you gotta fly like a eagle

to be free

Sorry. I didn't realize that you already had a line on a cross member.

you gotta fly like a eagle

to be free

Yep, you have the right song. Knew you would. :nabble_smiley_good:

And yes, I have the cross member found, only 25 miles away, and she's assured me that it won't be going anywhere - especially since it is down in the "wet area" and she can't get to it. It is starting to rain right now and is supposed to rain seriously today and then again several times this week.

Having said that, I am coming to the conclusion that the piecemeal approach may yield a better result, with less time required of me, although probably more money. But, I want to get all of the options in front of me before I decide.

And yes, I have the cross member found, only 25 miles away, and she's assured me that it won't be going anywhere - especially since it is down in the "wet area" and she can't get to it. It is starting to rain right now and is supposed to rain seriously today and then again several times this week.

Having said that, I am coming to the conclusion that the piecemeal approach may yield a better result, with less time required of me, although probably more money. But, I want to get all of the options in front of me before I decide.

I'm still trying to get rid of some of the parts from my old cab, and even parts from the new cab. I currently have tons of random metal pieces, a bricknose dash, two bricknose door glass, bricknose fenders, bricknose door panels, and a bricknose a/c box that I have no use for.

I definitely recommend piecing everything together.

In theory I found a 3.54 SRW D60 locally. It is out of an '89 F350 w/a 460, but since the axle is advertised by itself I'm assuming it is out of the truck. However, that probably means the crossmember, which will be the right one, is still there. And the panhard rod may be there.

Unfortunately they are closed today. (I know of three local salvages that are closed on Saturday, which really seems bizarre.) So I'll call them on Monday. But, 'twixt now and then I'd like a good list of the bits I am looking for.

And, are there two lists - '89 F350 vs later SuperDuty? In other words, if I'm buying springs separately then I'd like to price the springs that are probably still on the truck vs SuperDuty springs since the latter will give a better ride. But, do I need different bits for one vs the other?

I think I need:

• D60 axle

• Cross member

• Springs

• Panhard rod

• Mounting brackets: what ones specifically? Panhard rod - I think that the one that attaches to the cross member, so maybe it would be on the x-member if I get it from them. Do I need any spring brackets, or am I getting all of them from Sky?

• U-Bolt Plates

• U-Bolts? Are these specific to a D60? Do they need to be new? What is a u-bolt flip? (Yes, I understand they'd be upside down, probably to provide additional ground clearance.)

• Pitman Arm: If I got this from the F350 would it work? Or do I need a dropped arm? Does it matter which springs I go with?

As you can see, I still need lots of hand-holding. But, I think I'm ready to go get it if they have most of what I need. :nabble_anim_jump:

In theory I found a 3.54 SRW D60 locally. It is out of an '89 F350 w/a 460, but since the axle is advertised by itself I'm assuming it is out of the truck. However, that probably means the crossmember, which will be the right one, is still there. And the panhard rod may be there.

Unfortunately they are closed today. (I know of three local salvages that are closed on Saturday, which really seems bizarre.) So I'll call them on Monday. But, 'twixt now and then I'd like a good list of the bits I am looking for.

And, are there two lists - '89 F350 vs later SuperDuty? In other words, if I'm buying springs separately then I'd like to price the springs that are probably still on the truck vs SuperDuty springs since the latter will give a better ride. But, do I need different bits for one vs the other?

I think I need:

• D60 axle

• Cross member

• Springs

• Panhard rod

• Mounting brackets: what ones specifically? Panhard rod - I think that the one that attaches to the cross member, so maybe it would be on the x-member if I get it from them. Do I need any spring brackets, or am I getting all of them from Sky?

• U-Bolt Plates

• U-Bolts? Are these specific to a D60? Do they need to be new? What is a u-bolt flip? (Yes, I understand they'd be upside down, probably to provide additional ground clearance.)

• Pitman Arm: If I got this from the F350 would it work? Or do I need a dropped arm? Does it matter which springs I go with?

As you can see, I still need lots of hand-holding. But, I think I'm ready to go get it if they have most of what I need. :nabble_anim_jump:

That's great news. :nabble_smiley_good:

AFAIK all the spring brackets and shackles come in the kit.

You would use the old rear spring mounts for the reversed shackles by drilling them out, for regular 350 springs.

Since you want the Superduty springs you'll get the kit with SORD's LoPro rear brackets.

I think you have all the bases covered.

That's great news. :nabble_smiley_good:

AFAIK all the spring brackets and shackles come in the kit.

You would use the old rear spring mounts for the reversed shackles by drilling them out, for regular 350 springs.

Since you want the Superduty springs you'll get the kit with SORD's LoPro rear brackets.

I think you have all the bases covered.

Ok, thanks. But just so I am sure I understand, If I go with F350 springs I need the rear spring hanger off that, or a similar, F350. But, if I go with SD springs everything comes in the Sky kit. Right?

But, what about the pitman arm? Get the one from the F350?