Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

The hubs on any dually would be extended.

Because the rims are offset enough that running them back to back in the rear separates them enough that the rims and tires don't rub .

This is also why a dually has narrower tires than the 235/85-16 we pickup guys think of as 'pizza cutters'

See, I'm learning! :nabble_anim_jump:

Ok, good to know. And, that's what I was guessing, but wasn't sure.

But buying this F350 would be a big undertaking as it is COMPLETE. Lots and lots of stuff to get rid of.

One approach would be to put it in the shop on the lift and drop the engine, tranny, t-case etc out, get the front axle and associated bits off, and then pull the cross member. Back the trailer under it and haul the carcass to the scraper.

That leaves me with yet another FI'd 460. But I'd also have the right t-case and front drive shaft.

Also, can that really be the Mazda tranny? Wouldn't it be a ZF5?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, I'm learning! :nabble_anim_jump:

Ok, good to know. And, that's what I was guessing, but wasn't sure.

But buying this F350 would be a big undertaking as it is COMPLETE. Lots and lots of stuff to get rid of.

One approach would be to put it in the shop on the lift and drop the engine, tranny, t-case etc out, get the front axle and associated bits off, and then pull the cross member. Back the trailer under it and haul the carcass to the scraper.

That leaves me with yet another FI'd 460. But I'd also have the right t-case and front drive shaft.

Also, can that really be the Mazda tranny? Wouldn't it be a ZF5?

A wrecker/flatbed of that vintage (with a diesel) would probably have a Allison, or something similar made in house.

Given that Ford had a big stake in Mazda perhaps they produced it.

A wrecker/flatbed of that vintage (with a diesel) would probably have a Allison, or something similar made in house.

Given that Ford had a big stake in Mazda perhaps they produced it.

Having re-looked at the cert label, the code is an "H":

Springfield_Flatbed.thumb.jpg.dc9adb1805cab0addccc5fadd36556d0.jpg

But H doesn't compute as it only shows for '85. And this thing has HEAVY front springs!

976540.thumb.jpg.e184834250c3d866013296f0880d9e87.jpg

But H doesn't compute as it only shows for '85. And this thing has HEAVY front springs!

The seller has just come back and said "WE JUST INCLUDE THE PICS OF THE WHOLE TRUCK TO GIVE YOU A BETTER PIC OF WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE IT IS. WE ARE ONLY SELLING THE AXLE" (All upper case is theirs.)

So, given that is is just the axle, which is the wrong ratio and extended hubs - and $1050 to boot - I'll pass. At least for now. Let's see what other options there are, especially to get all the other bits.

F-350's are usually 9-10k gvw.

I'm sure a wrecker has stiff springs.

I guess I can't be much help from up here (back in Stamford CT)

Even a truck that burned would probably be ok for your purpose.

Though it might effect spring temper.

F-350's are usually 9-10k gvw.

I'm sure a wrecker has stiff springs.

I guess I can't be much help from up here (back in Stamford CT)

Even a truck that burned would probably be ok for your purpose.

Though it might effect spring temper.

Grumpin - It probably is a typo.

Jim - You've been a huge help. I knew nothing about D44HD's vs D50's vs D60's before we descended into the rabbit hole. But with everyone's help on here I know enough to be dangerous. However, I'm confident that all of y'all will help me through it when the time comes.

Here come's another microanalysis!

Grumpin - It probably is a typo.

Jim - You've been a huge help. I knew nothing about D44HD's vs D50's vs D60's before we descended into the rabbit hole. But with everyone's help on here I know enough to be dangerous. However, I'm confident that all of y'all will help me through it when the time comes.

Here come's another microanalysis!

Aaand.... Here we go, the next eight pages. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I'm glad if I could impart some of my personal experiences.

But do note that I never did the SAS & RSK on my truck.

If that F-450 had had other hubs and 9k springs, instead of 10 lug dually hubs you probably would have followed me thru it right here on the forum.

So, I'll defer to Jonathan and Shaun as the local experts.

Aaand.... Here we go, the next eight pages. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I'm glad if I could impart some of my personal experiences.

But do note that I never did the SAS & RSK on my truck.

If that F-450 had had other hubs and 9k springs, instead of 10 lug dually hubs you probably would have followed me thru it right here on the forum.

So, I'll defer to Jonathan and Shaun as the local experts.

I should have clarified that it was just the axle, Junkyards are not in the business of selling complete vehicles.

Although I understand your positioning, keep that one on your Ebay watch list just in case because I have come across more 4.10 axles than 3.55 and you may struggle to find that ratio in anything other than an SRW F350. Also, you may find plenty of 3.55 ratios, but they could be inside axles that are severely pitted and not worth your time.

I should have clarified that it was just the axle, Junkyards are not in the business of selling complete vehicles.

Although I understand your positioning, keep that one on your Ebay watch list just in case because I have come across more 4.10 axles than 3.55 and you may struggle to find that ratio in anything other than an SRW F350. Also, you may find plenty of 3.55 ratios, but they could be inside axles that are severely pitted and not worth your time.

Jim - You've been a big help, as have all the others. And yes, we are off on another adventure. And, we will document it to the hilt. And maybe turn that into a web page how-to. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Shaun - Not to worry, I'm keeping that one as a "possible". But, if I want to do it I'll see if they'll take quite a bit off if I come to get it. They are only a bit less then 200 miles away, and if they have a crate it would probably slide in the back of my new truck with the dinky 5 1/2' bed with the 'gate down. If they don't have it crated I can take the trailer.