Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

He's responded that he will take it back, so I'll get it boxed up and off.

And, here's the status of my searching to this point for the cross member and D60+suspension:

• I've found the cross member for $50 at a fairly local salvage, and she (Kathy) thinks they can cut the frame right behind the cross member and give me that so I can remove it carefully. But, it is in a WET area right now and we are to get more rain soon, so it'll be a while before they can get in there. Plus, it's been there for several years so isn't going away any time soon.

And, while they don't have the '86-'97 D60 & suspension bits I'm looking for, they do have a '05 F350 SuperDuty w/a D60. However, it is my understanding that that's going to have the different bolt pattern, so my wheels won't fit. And, the rear axle is gone, so I couldn't swap if I wanted to, so that's not really an option. But, there are the springs.....

• I found a salvage about 3 1/2 hours away that has a 3.54 D60 axle, but it doesn't have the suspension bits. However, they also have an '88 F350 w/a 4.10 D60. And, since it was a 460 truck it'll have the right cross member. So, I've asked if they can cut the frame behind the cross member and give me the front section, but swap axles. That would give me all the bits for the suspension as well as the cross member in one package.

They were to have called back a few hours ago, so I'm not sure that's going to work out. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, I have a cross member available and may have found the whole shooting match. But, when doing this would there be an advantage in getting the SuperDuty springs?

Forget the '04.

The hub issues are a step too far IMHO*.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superduty springs are just a plusher ride than regular F-350 with a RSK.

You should find someone with a RSK F-350 regular cab long bed and ask them to take you for a ride.

See how you feel about it v/s Big Blue.

Maybe you will feel the 350 RSK is nice enough without the SD springs.

So, is the order of "plushness" this, from worst to best, and including the range of lift?

F250 D44HD axle & springs

F350 D60 & springs = 2" lift

F350 D60 & springs +RSK = 4" lift

F350 D60 & SD springs

SD D60 axle & springs

Given that, is the F350 axle/spring combo a significant improvement? Or is it really best to do the RSK? If so, what about an RSK for the F250 springs?

So, is the order of "plushness" this, from worst to best, and including the range of lift?

F350 D60 & SD springs

SD D60 axle & springs

Given that, is the F350 axle/spring combo a significant improvement? Or is it really best to do the RSK? If so, what about an RSK for the F250 springs?

I would say the stock D44+250 springs (worst), then regular F350 setup, D60 + SD springs, F-350 springs + RSK, then SD springs + RSK (best ride)

The reverse shackles importantly allow the axle to move with a bump.

With the stock springs that have a shackle at the front the wheels and axle have to deflect forward when they encounter a bump.

F350 D60 & SD springs

SD D60 axle & springs

... Don't even be bothered with a RSK using the stock F-250 reverse arch springs.

Way too stiff and not enough travel.

I would say the stock D44+250 springs (worst), then regular F350 setup, D60 + SD springs, F-350 springs + RSK, then SD springs + RSK (best ride)

The reverse shackles importantly allow the axle to move with a bump.

With the stock springs that have a shackle at the front the wheels and axle have to deflect forward when they encounter a bump.

So 350 + RSK would be a good combo. But there's a low profile RSK kit? Do I remember that correctly? I don't need 4" of lift as that will put the front level with or slightly higher than the rear. Unless I put 350 blocks on the rear?

So 350 + RSK would be a good combo. But there's a low profile RSK kit? Do I remember that correctly? I don't need 4" of lift as that will put the front level with or slightly higher than the rear. Unless I put 350 blocks on the rear?

The Lo-Pro shackle hangers are meant to help with the angle of the shackle. Because they put the shackle mount up higher, that's where the lift decreases.

The kit below is the one you need. It is only a 2" kit with the lo-pro hangers and shackles, 2.5" with the stock hangers you already have.

85-91 2" RSK OBS Spring

The Lo-Pro shackle hangers are meant to help with the angle of the shackle. Because they put the shackle mount up higher, that's where the lift decreases.

The kit below is the one you need. It is only a 2" kit with the lo-pro hangers and shackles, 2.5" with the stock hangers you already have.

85-91 2" RSK OBS Spring

Shaun - You said "with the stock hangars you already have". Do you mean I can use that kit on Big Blue's D44HD TTB's? Or, are you thinking when I get an F350's D60 and springs?

The Application tab says:

Truck: 85-91 F-350 4x4 straight axle trucks.

Springs: 52" 80-97 Ford F-350 front leaf springs

Axle: 85-97 F-350 Dana 60 or F-250 4x4 with TTB drop brackets from Tough Country part # 20852.

That confuses me 'cause it says that the kit works on an F350. But then it seems to say it'll work on an F250 with TTB's. :nabble_anim_confused:

The LoPro shackles are suggested (and almost required) because of the near overcenter shackle angle you get with some springs.

Sorry, my tablets auto correct went crazy yesterday. :nabble_smiley_blush:

The LoPro shackles are suggested (and almost required) because of the near overcenter shackle angle you get with some springs.

Sorry, my tablets auto correct went crazy yesterday. :nabble_smiley_blush:

No prob, Jim.

As an update, the guy from the salvage called and they can't find the D60 w/a 3.54 gear in it. Plus, the truck that was said to have the 4.10 D60 probably has only the cross member and little else. They are going to keep looking for the D60, but it looks like it is time to expand the search quite a bit. I'll hit social media as well as ask my nephews to look.

And yesterday I sent this to Sky Off Road Design in an effort to get my head around their kit:

I have an 4wd '85 F250HD with a 460 and don't like the ride. The D44HD is probably adequate for what I do, but I wouldn't mind a D60. I'm looking for an F350 to get the D60 and associated springs, shackles, etc.

But I'm very confused as to the best way to install the springs. Some have suggested your FORD-FSROB-002PN-NoPanHard kit. But the application tab for it says "85-97 F-350 Dana 60 or F-250 4x4 with TTB drop brackets from Tough Country part # 20852." Are you saying it'll work on my D44 TTB's?

Also, I'd like maybe 2" of lift but not a lot more.

And today I got back:

To my knowledge the TTB under your truck Is a “dana 50”, It will work with our 85-91 2” Shackle Reversal, the best ride you’ll get is with the superduty spring kit for that year of truck.

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/collections/ford-78-91-front-suspension/products/copy-of-85-91-ford-f-350-4x4-2-front-shackle-reversal-superduty-spring

This is only about a month old now and just came out.

To which I responded:

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that I have a D44HD. I've attached two pics of the u-joints in the front axles, which have the interior clips of the D44 instead of the exterior clips of the D50. Plus it uses the same lockout as my F150 w/a D44. And, the GAWR of the front axle is 3850# and Ford's Master Parts Catalog, which you can see on my website here, says that the D50 wasn't used until 4600#.

So, back to my original question: I'm looking for an F350 to get the D60 and associated springs, shackles, etc. But I'm very confused as to the best way to install the springs. Some have suggested your FORD-FSROB-002PN-NoPanHard kit. But the application tab for it says "85-97 F-350 Dana 60 or F-250 4x4 with TTB drop brackets from Tough Country part # 20852." Are you saying it'll work on my D44 TTB's?

And the pics I attached were these, showing that Big Blue has the internal clips on the front u-joints, which

says proves it is a D44. (Disregard the "light duty" F250 designation he mentions as that isn't quite correct.)

Proof_of_D44_-_2.thumb.jpg.da2b9c34bc30f3f1dc43306e83a060c1.jpgProof_of_D44_-_1.thumb.jpg.2597ef803fd53adab18c296c13d144b6.jpg

No prob, Jim.

As an update, the guy from the salvage called and they can't find the D60 w/a 3.54 gear in it. Plus, the truck that was said to have the 4.10 D60 probably has only the cross member and little else. They are going to keep looking for the D60, but it looks like it is time to expand the search quite a bit. I'll hit social media as well as ask my nephews to look.

And yesterday I sent this to Sky Off Road Design in an effort to get my head around their kit:

I have an 4wd '85 F250HD with a 460 and don't like the ride. The D44HD is probably adequate for what I do, but I wouldn't mind a D60. I'm looking for an F350 to get the D60 and associated springs, shackles, etc.

But I'm very confused as to the best way to install the springs. Some have suggested your FORD-FSROB-002PN-NoPanHard kit. But the application tab for it says "85-97 F-350 Dana 60 or F-250 4x4 with TTB drop brackets from Tough Country part # 20852." Are you saying it'll work on my D44 TTB's?

And today I got back:

To my knowledge the TTB under your truck Is a “dana 50”, It will work with our 85-91 2” Shackle Reversal, the best ride you’ll get is with the superduty spring kit for that year of truck.

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/collections/ford-78-91-front-suspension/products/copy-of-85-91-ford-f-350-4x4-2-front-shackle-reversal-superduty-spring

This is only about a month old now and just came out.

To which I responded:

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that I have a D44HD. I've attached two pics of the u-joints in the front axles, which have the interior clips of the D44 instead of the exterior clips of the D50. Plus it uses the same lockout as my F150 w/a D44. And, the GAWR of the front axle is 3850# and Ford's Master Parts Catalog, which you can see on my website here, says that the D50 wasn't used until 4600#.

So, back to my original question: I'm looking for an F350 to get the D60 and associated springs, shackles, etc. But I'm very confused as to the best way to install the springs. Some have suggested your FORD-FSROB-002PN-NoPanHard kit. But the application tab for it says "85-97 F-350 Dana 60 or F-250 4x4 with TTB drop brackets from Tough Country part # 20852." Are you saying it'll work on my D44 TTB's?

And the pics I attached were these, showing that Big Blue has the internal clips on the front u-joints, which

says proves it is a D44. (Disregard the "light duty" F250 designation he mentions as that isn't quite correct.)

Tapered hubs with 150 sized lockouts = D44.

Mounted under a 250 with eight lug hubs = HD

Only the Supercab's always came with the D50.

Or it could be optioned as part of the plow package, for example