Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

Shaun - The radius arm mounts from an F250 would, I assume, bolt onto any F250 frame. Right? If so, the

question becomes whether the radius arms will bolt to the F250 TTB's. Then the next question would be if the 2WD LD F250's coil spring mounts could be bolted on. Hmmmm.....

The quick answer is no. The holes are all different and basically nothing bolts on. You would have to drill most of the holes yourself, which is the predicament I will be in once I pull the trigger on the Sky kit.

I don't mind drilling holes. But there are other issues to puzzle through, like the cross member. It is all well and good to do the conversion on a truck with any other engine, but with a 460 or diesel?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind drilling holes. But there are other issues to puzzle through, like the cross member. It is all well and good to do the conversion on a truck with any other engine, but with a 460 or diesel?

There were plenty of 4x2 Diesel and 460 trucks running coil sprung TIB front suspension, so that should be irrelevant. You just need coils from an F350. The real dilemma would be the coil/shock tower thickness, as well as the radius arm mounts. We all know that the frames increase in thickness the higher the GVWR, so does that apply to the suspension mounting brackets as well? My coil/shock towers were clearly stamped with an F25 on the both, which makes me wonder if there is a difference in thickness with those as well?

There were plenty of 4x2 Diesel and 460 trucks running coil sprung TIB front suspension, so that should be irrelevant. You just need coils from an F350. The real dilemma would be the coil/shock tower thickness, as well as the radius arm mounts. We all know that the frames increase in thickness the higher the GVWR, so does that apply to the suspension mounting brackets as well? My coil/shock towers were clearly stamped with an F25 on the both, which makes me wonder if there is a difference in thickness with those as well?

Also, check out the below link, this company already produces a kit that does what you describe. Maybe you can get some pointers?

Dana 50 TTB Coil Swap Kit

Also, check out the below link, this company already produces a kit that does what you describe. Maybe you can get some pointers?

Dana 50 TTB Coil Swap Kit

Shaun - That's an interesting find. But, it is expensive!

It says it includes:

Dana 50 TTB Cut N’ Turned and Modified to accept Radius Arm ($350 core charge included in price – read more)

1.25″ Heimed Extended Radius Arms with Pivot Brackets and Hardware

Coil Buckets

4″ Coils

Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks (1 pr)

Alignment Cams

3-Piece Extended Brake Line Kit

I'm going to have to study BB's TTB's vs those on Dad's truck to see if I can understand what would be needed to attach radius arms to the 250 TTB's.

Shaun - That's an interesting find. But, it is expensive!

It says it includes:

Dana 50 TTB Cut N’ Turned and Modified to accept Radius Arm ($350 core charge included in price – read more)

1.25″ Heimed Extended Radius Arms with Pivot Brackets and Hardware

Coil Buckets

4″ Coils

Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks (1 pr)

Alignment Cams

3-Piece Extended Brake Line Kit

I'm going to have to study BB's TTB's vs those on Dad's truck to see if I can understand what would be needed to attach radius arms to the 250 TTB's.

Well, the postman dropped the 1990-99 MPC text section off this morning. Unfortunately it is only the back end of the text section, meaning the soft trim and exterior moulding part, so it doesn't have the cross member info. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Not sure what the path forward is now. :nabble_anim_confused:

Well, the postman dropped the 1990-99 MPC text section off this morning. Unfortunately it is only the back end of the text section, meaning the soft trim and exterior moulding part, so it doesn't have the cross member info. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Not sure what the path forward is now. :nabble_anim_confused:

Well that's a bummer.

Well that's a bummer.

The advert said "1990-1999 FORD TRUCK MASTER PARTS TEXT CATALOG LIGHT TRUCK PICKUP VAN". But this book isn't nearly all of the "text" portion of the MPC. In fact, I think it may be less than 30% of the catalog.

So I sent the vendor a message that the product wasn't as advertised and I want to return it. We shall see.

But in the interim, I'm at a loss as to how to find out which trucks have the right cross member.

The advert said "1990-1999 FORD TRUCK MASTER PARTS TEXT CATALOG LIGHT TRUCK PICKUP VAN". But this book isn't nearly all of the "text" portion of the MPC. In fact, I think it may be less than 30% of the catalog.

So I sent the vendor a message that the product wasn't as advertised and I want to return it. We shall see.

But in the interim, I'm at a loss as to how to find out which trucks have the right cross member.

That happened to me when I tried to buy a 1980 EVTM. It was only a foldout diagram for Econolines, but was advertised as being a book for F-Series trucks. Seller admitted he sent the wrong thing, but I didn't trust him at this point so I requested a refund and he thankfully accepted.

That happened to me when I tried to buy a 1980 EVTM. It was only a foldout diagram for Econolines, but was advertised as being a book for F-Series trucks. Seller admitted he sent the wrong thing, but I didn't trust him at this point so I requested a refund and he thankfully accepted.

He's responded that he will take it back, so I'll get it boxed up and off.

And, here's the status of my searching to this point for the cross member and D60+suspension:

• I've found the cross member for $50 at a fairly local salvage, and she (Kathy) thinks they can cut the frame right behind the cross member and give me that so I can remove it carefully. But, it is in a WET area right now and we are to get more rain soon, so it'll be a while before they can get in there. Plus, it's been there for several years so isn't going away any time soon.

And, while they don't have the '86-'97 D60 & suspension bits I'm looking for, they do have a '05 F350 SuperDuty w/a D60. However, it is my understanding that that's going to have the different bolt pattern, so my wheels won't fit. And, the rear axle is gone, so I couldn't swap if I wanted to, so that's not really an option. But, there are the springs.....

• I found a salvage about 3 1/2 hours away that has a 3.54 D60 axle, but it doesn't have the suspension bits. However, they also have an '88 F350 w/a 4.10 D60. And, since it was a 460 truck it'll have the right cross member. So, I've asked if they can cut the frame behind the cross member and give me the front section, but swap axles. That would give me all the bits for the suspension as well as the cross member in one package.

They were to have called back a few hours ago, so I'm not sure that's going to work out. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, I have a cross member available and may have found the whole shooting match. But, when doing this would there be an advantage in getting the SuperDuty springs?

He's responded that he will take it back, so I'll get it boxed up and off.

And, here's the status of my searching to this point for the cross member and D60+suspension:

• I've found the cross member for $50 at a fairly local salvage, and she (Kathy) thinks they can cut the frame right behind the cross member and give me that so I can remove it carefully. But, it is in a WET area right now and we are to get more rain soon, so it'll be a while before they can get in there. Plus, it's been there for several years so isn't going away any time soon.

And, while they don't have the '86-'97 D60 & suspension bits I'm looking for, they do have a '05 F350 SuperDuty w/a D60. However, it is my understanding that that's going to have the different bolt pattern, so my wheels won't fit. And, the rear axle is gone, so I couldn't swap if I wanted to, so that's not really an option. But, there are the springs.....

• I found a salvage about 3 1/2 hours away that has a 3.54 D60 axle, but it doesn't have the suspension bits. However, they also have an '88 F350 w/a 4.10 D60. And, since it was a 460 truck it'll have the right cross member. So, I've asked if they can cut the frame behind the cross member and give me the front section, but swap axles. That would give me all the bits for the suspension as well as the cross member in one package.

They were to have called back a few hours ago, so I'm not sure that's going to work out. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, I have a cross member available and may have found the whole shooting match. But, when doing this would there be an advantage in getting the SuperDuty springs?

Superduty springs are just a plusher ride than regular F-350 with a RSK.

You should find someone with a RSK F-350 regular cab long bed and ask them to take you for a ride.

See how you feel about it v/s Big Blue.

Maybe you will feel the 350 RSK is nice enough without the SD springs.