Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

.... So, does that say that some 1985's and all 1986's have a solid axle D60? And, what is the "monobeam"?....

I was thinking that the solid Dana 60 first came in '86, but it wouldn't shock me if it actually started part way through '85. So yes, the last of the bullnose F-350s would have it.

And "monobeam" is Ford-speak for a solid axle. Which in this range of years could only be a Dana 60. So it's what you are looking for.

edit: I guess we were writing at the same time.

And for what it's worth, "TTB" stands for "Twin Traction Beam", not "Twin Torsion Beam". The "Traction" describes it as the 4WD version of the older "Twin I Beam" 2WD front suspension.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... So, does that say that some 1985's and all 1986's have a solid axle D60? And, what is the "monobeam"?....

I was thinking that the solid Dana 60 first came in '86, but it wouldn't shock me if it actually started part way through '85. So yes, the last of the bullnose F-350s would have it.

And "monobeam" is Ford-speak for a solid axle. Which in this range of years could only be a Dana 60. So it's what you are looking for.

edit: I guess we were writing at the same time.

And for what it's worth, "TTB" stands for "Twin Traction Beam", not "Twin Torsion Beam". The "Traction" describes it as the 4WD version of the older "Twin I Beam" 2WD front suspension.

Ok, I got it! I think. Mono beam = single axle = D60. And 10/85 would be a 1986 truck, and it looks like that is the only Bullnose that will work for me.

I talked with the folks at the local salvage today and when I finally figure out for sure what years have the right cross member they'll see what they can find in other salvages.

Also, I talked with a friend at the local parts store, who is also a member on here - DeWayne/93F3507.3. He told me about another place close that used to be a salvage but closed up shop. He's pretty sure they'd have something like I'm looking for and gave me a suggestion on how to contact them. I've tried and we'll see if they get back with me.

So thanks a bunch for helping me figure out what to look for. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ok, I got it! I think. Mono beam = single axle = D60. And 10/85 would be a 1986 truck, and it looks like that is the only Bullnose that will work for me.

I talked with the folks at the local salvage today and when I finally figure out for sure what years have the right cross member they'll see what they can find in other salvages.

Also, I talked with a friend at the local parts store, who is also a member on here - DeWayne/93F3507.3. He told me about another place close that used to be a salvage but closed up shop. He's pretty sure they'd have something like I'm looking for and gave me a suggestion on how to contact them. I've tried and we'll see if they get back with me.

So thanks a bunch for helping me figure out what to look for. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary, I just arrived at my brother's house in North Carolina this morning.

On one of the roads on the way here I passed by a salvage yard that is just acres of pickup trucks.

Most look fairly solid, due to the lack of salt I imagine.

I'm thinking that it can't be the only one in the country.

Even another Huck would serve your purpose.

Though a complete wreck or inop from a private seller or salvage auction would be cheaper and offer you more parts to flip.

On one of the roads on the way here I passed by a salvage yard that is just acres of pickup trucks.

Though a complete wreck or inop from a private seller or salvage auction would be cheaper and offer you more parts to flip.

Damn, I'll bet you came right through Exmore too.

Jim - I'm sure there are trucks sitting around here as well. But it is just finding them that is the issue. I'm hoping that posting on social media will do the trick - when I know exactly which trucks have the right cross member.

However, the young man I sent the message to yesterday at lunch time hasn't read it yet, so maybe social media won't do the trick. We shall see.

Jim - I'm sure there are trucks sitting around here as well. But it is just finding them that is the issue. I'm hoping that posting on social media will do the trick - when I know exactly which trucks have the right cross member.

However, the young man I sent the message to yesterday at lunch time hasn't read it yet, so maybe social media won't do the trick. We shall see.

Doing a bit of research on the D60 swap and will use this post to catalog some things I find:

• God Of Leaf SAS Swap: This is a thread in FSB with lot's of links to other threads. (Kind of reminds me of the old-time barber shops with mirrors on both walls so you could see off into infinity.)

Doing a bit of research on the D60 swap and will use this post to catalog some things I find:

• God Of Leaf SAS Swap: This is a thread in FSB with lot's of links to other threads. (Kind of reminds me of the old-time barber shops with mirrors on both walls so you could see off into infinity.)

You could skip the D60 swap and invest in these for a lot less! :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Generic-MouthGuard-Royal-Blue-Royal_Blue-main-0.thumb.jpg.9fc2dfbf12698de16e06e88ec67e3ae9.jpg

You could skip the D60 swap and invest in these for a lot less! :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Yes, that would be a whole less expensive.

But, Big Blue would continue to be less than fun to drive for any distance. There's an initial surge of "Wow, this is fun!" However, that soon wears off after you've hit a few bumps. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, I'll continue to hope I can find just the right truck, and locally, for both the front suspension/axle combo and the cross member. Hopefully on Wednesday or Thursday I'll have the 1990-99 MPC and can determine which trucks used the cross member I'm looking for and I can put the word out via social media and the salvages.

Yes, that would be a whole less expensive.

But, Big Blue would continue to be less than fun to drive for any distance. There's an initial surge of "Wow, this is fun!" However, that soon wears off after you've hit a few bumps. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, I'll continue to hope I can find just the right truck, and locally, for both the front suspension/axle combo and the cross member. Hopefully on Wednesday or Thursday I'll have the 1990-99 MPC and can determine which trucks used the cross member I'm looking for and I can put the word out via social media and the salvages.

I'm following with interest. These HD's ride rough!

My 1994 F250 had the extra spring installed up front, wow!