Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

The main issue with Big Blue is the cross member, and it must be replaced. So the suggestion has been to source a whole truck with both the cross member and the front suspension - and the correct 3.54 axle ratio.

But, if that proves to be like finding a 1996 460 with SEFI and MAF, then I might turn to piecing it out.

What I'm really leery of is getting a cross member that has already been removed. But I won't know how it was removed and, therefore, if the holes have been enlarged or a torch used. So I want to remove the cross member myself. Which sounds like I need at least a section of the frame or a whole truck.

So you are now hunting unicorns? :nabble_smiley_grin:

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main issue with Big Blue is the cross member, and it must be replaced. So the suggestion has been to source a whole truck with both the cross member and the front suspension - and the correct 3.54 axle ratio.

But, if that proves to be like finding a 1996 460 with SEFI and MAF, then I might turn to piecing it out.

What I'm really leery of is getting a cross member that has already been removed. But I won't know how it was removed and, therefore, if the holes have been enlarged or a torch used. So I want to remove the cross member myself. Which sounds like I need at least a section of the frame or a whole truck.

Big Blue's front wheel well opening is ~36" and the rear is 39 3/4" off the ground. But I plan to take leaves out of the rear, so it'll come down some. I wonder how much?

.... So the suggestion has been to source a whole truck with both the cross member and the front suspension - and the correct 3.54 axle ratio....

I wouldn't sweat the gear ratio too much. If you are planning on putting a locker in it you'll be pulling the ring gear out anyway. It's not a ton more work or expense to put a new ring and pinion in (but sure, get the 3.54 of you can find it)

.... So the suggestion has been to source a whole truck with both the cross member and the front suspension - and the correct 3.54 axle ratio....
I wouldn't sweat the gear ratio too much. If you are planning on putting a locker in it you'll be pulling the ring gear out anyway. It's not a ton more work or expense to put a new ring and pinion in (but sure, get the 3.54 of you can find it)
Good point. So here's my thinking of priorities:

1. Cross Member: I have to have that, so if I can't find a whole truck that has it as well as the axle and suspension then I'll try to buy just a cross member.
  2. Front Axle/Suspension: If I can find a truck with the right cross member and the D60 front axle, regardless of king pin/ball joint or F350/SuperDuty spring I'll go with that.
  3. Ratio: I want a 3.54 if possible.
  4. Springs: If the truck has the SD springs then that's even better.

Does that make sense?

Good point. So here's my thinking of priorities:

1. Cross Member: I have to have that, so if I can't find a whole truck that has it as well as the axle and suspension then I'll try to buy just a cross member.
  2. Front Axle/Suspension: If I can find a truck with the right cross member and the D60 front axle, regardless of king pin/ball joint or F350/SuperDuty spring I'll go with that.
  3. Ratio: I want a 3.54 if possible.
  4. Springs: If the truck has the SD springs then that's even better.

Does that make sense?

Gary, try a friendly junk yard, their Hollander interchange may show what crass members will work.

Springs: If the truck has the SD springs then that's even better.

Does that make sense?

SD springs stands for 99-04 Super Duty, as in 1999-2004 F350. You're not gonna find a truck with those already installed unless you buy a truck that has an RSK installed. Should be pretty obvious if you come across that. What if one of us happens to come across an axle that is out of your 200 mile range? Are you willing to travel?

Springs: If the truck has the SD springs then that's even better.

Does that make sense?

SD springs stands for 99-04 Super Duty, as in 1999-2004 F350. You're not gonna find a truck with those already installed unless you buy a truck that has an RSK installed. Should be pretty obvious if you come across that. What if one of us happens to come across an axle that is out of your 200 mile range? Are you willing to travel?
I don't understand what you mean about not finding a truck with those already installed unless you buy a truck that has an RSK installed. But, I think what you are saying is that by '99 the cross member won't be what I need, so I'll be looking for an earlier truck, which isn't likely to have those springs. Am I right?As for an axle, if it an axle and springs, meaning everything I need save for the cross member, then I'd seriously consider hooking up the trailer and heading out - depending on the price. But, I don't want to be hasty as I really haven't started looking here yet. So it would depend on price, content, and timing.Does that make sense?

I don't understand what you mean about not finding a truck with those already installed unless you buy a truck that has an RSK installed. But, I think what you are saying is that by '99 the cross member won't be what I need, so I'll be looking for an earlier truck, which isn't likely to have those springs. Am I right?

As for an axle, if it an axle and springs, meaning everything I need save for the cross member, then I'd seriously consider hooking up the trailer and heading out - depending on the price. But, I don't want to be hasty as I really haven't started looking here yet. So it would depend on price, content, and timing.

Does that make sense?

Gary,

I think you are looking for an '86 to '91 Truck for kingpins or a '92-'96 truck for ball joints with bolt on calipers.

The Super duty series didn't begin until the 1999 model year.

But a truck this late would have an incompatible metric bolt circle for the front hubs.

So you would never find a compatible D60 front axle with the Superduty springs on the same stock truck.

You might find an F-350 where someone has already done an RSK and converted to the better riding Superduty springs.