Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

Jim - Janey just helped me check out BB. With the engine running there's no perceptible movement of the bumper from what she could see.

But, with the engine off so I could be under it, when she turned the wheel the tie rod rotates on the tie rod ends. By that I mean that it spins and then it hits the neck of the ball joint in the tie rod and it stops with a clunk. Go the other way and it spins and goes clunk.

I've never encountered that, but if that's the problem then it isn't a problem as that will get replaced.

Bill - You are right, I don't have a factory bumper. But I don't think from what I can see that my bumper would bolt up properly to the '95 bumper as the profile is different. Given that and my serious reluctance to cut the frame and weld this one on, I'm probably going to do as Jim and I've been discussing and cut a piece out of the 95's cross member and weld it into BB. So, thanks but I don't think pics will be needed.

Is that what you were meaning?

That center link always acts that way, so nothing to fear there.

We're you able to hear the sound while she was turning the wheel lock to lock?

Maybe it is the transmission cross member loose as written up in the TSB.

Not Steve's but the one for pops and clunks while turning, especially over bumps. Sorry I forget the#

That center link always acts that way, so nothing to fear there.

We're you able to hear the sound while she was turning the wheel lock to lock?

Maybe it is the transmission cross member loose as written up in the TSB.

Not Steve's but the one for pops and clunks while turning, especially over bumps. Sorry I forget the#

Good to know. But we couldn't get anything other than that to pop or clunk. My guess is that I won't find it until everything is apart.

Just rolled Dad's truck forward and am about to bring the 95's front clip into the shop.

Bullnose stock bumpers are attached with 4 chrome capped bolts and two side braces...
I've never seen side braces on an '80-86 front bumper; only '80-96 rear. '87-91 fronts have an extra plate connecting the bumper to the frame horns:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/700793/thumbnail/bumperbrkts8791.jpg

Got the clip into the shop and off the trailer. And, I got a number of parts removed. First, here's a pic of lifting it off the trailer with the lift:

Off_The_Trailer_-_May_5_2019.thumb.jpg.1610c67b6cf876195fffbe9833dbfc30.jpg

And here's a shot of it at the end of the day after removing a bunch of parts:

Overall_As_Of_May_27_2019.thumb.jpg.912501c5c648ea38a178982effddb9c1.jpg

Here are the parts removed: sway bar & links but not mounts; shocks & shock towers; diesel perches; steering box & pitman arm; panhard rod & bracket; and bumper, which isn't in the pic.

Removed_Parts_May_5_2019.thumb.jpg.52f48aa1fc8a51393d527b8408085f53.jpg

And here's a comparison of Jim's cross member on the left and mine on the right. They look the same.

Cross_Member_Disecting-I.thumb.jpg.e29406386935d5792d82c0f449ce8e7d.jpgCross_Member_-_Front.thumb.jpg.eb32ba584ee7f27c91bf8c58d147b679.jpg

Got the clip into the shop and off the trailer. And, I got a number of parts removed. First, here's a pic of lifting it off the trailer with the lift:

And here's a shot of it at the end of the day after removing a bunch of parts:

Here are the parts removed: sway bar & links but not mounts; shocks & shock towers; diesel perches; steering box & pitman arm; panhard rod & bracket; and bumper, which isn't in the pic.

And here's a comparison of Jim's cross member on the left and mine on the right. They look the same.

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Wow, you'd never see anything left of dust shields up here in salt country.

Gotta admit I'm a little envious.

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Wow, you'd never see anything left of dust shields up here in salt country.

Gotta admit I'm a little envious.

Jim - Progress is certainly GOOD! But those dust shields have been bent, so I'm not sure I'll be able to use them. I hope so. As for envy, is that about the dust shields or the D60?

All - I don't mind carrying on with conversations here, but I want to start documenting Big Blue's Transformation in that thread. So I'm going to post a bit about having gotten the front clip, what my plans are, etc to get that thread going.

And, you can follow my progress in the first post, which has my evergreen checklist, the document I'm recording everything in, embedded in the first post. I'm hoping that doing it that way will create a complete package, but we shall see.

The document was initially broad-brush, but as I get closer to things I will flesh it out more. That gives me boxes to tick, and that makes me feel good. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Jim - Progress is certainly GOOD! But those dust shields have been bent, so I'm not sure I'll be able to use them. I hope so. As for envy, is that about the dust shields or the D60?

All - I don't mind carrying on with conversations here, but I want to start documenting Big Blue's Transformation in that thread. So I'm going to post a bit about having gotten the front clip, what my plans are, etc to get that thread going.

And, you can follow my progress in the first post, which has my evergreen checklist, the document I'm recording everything in, embedded in the first post. I'm hoping that doing it that way will create a complete package, but we shall see.

The document was initially broad-brush, but as I get closer to things I will flesh it out more. That gives me boxes to tick, and that makes me feel good. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Envious that the whole thing hasn't been eaten up by rust.

I don't really ever feel envy or jealousy towards others for what they have (or don't have)

No point in that.

Envious that the whole thing hasn't been eaten up by rust.

I don't really ever feel envy or jealousy towards others for what they have (or don't have)

No point in that.

Very true. There's always someone with more, and someone with less.

I've been subscribed since I first saw the thread Big Blue's Transformation.

And I see you have updated your sig in anticipation of having all those boxes checked. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I've been subscribed since I first saw the thread Big Blue's Transformation.

And I see you have updated your sig in anticipation of having all those boxes checked. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Yes, I've updated it. Trying to keep each truck's description to one line, but the one for Dad's truck is a bit long. Anyway, I took "soon-to-be" out of Big Blue's description to get it on one line. Struggled with that one, but having purchased the D60 I guess it is going to happen. :nabble_anim_jump:

Sent a note to Sky last night asking if their FORD-FSROB-003 is the right kit, and if I need an adjustable panhard rod. But I'll throw those questions out here as I'll get better answers.

The bushings in the panhard rod are pretty much gone so will have to be replaced - unless I go with the adjustable one. But bushings are only ~$20, as opposed to the adjustable one at $139 to $174 depending on the whether you go with bushings or heim joint, and whether you have it powder coated.

But, their site says "You will feel increased road vibration with heim joints, but they will last longer." I'm inclined to go with the bushings, but what do y'all think? And, how important is it to go with the adjustable one?

And, are their other brands? I'll search for that, but if you know....