Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

• The D60 in OKC that Shaun found is a 3.54 and has the tie rods on it, but there is nothing else with it.

They do not have the track bar, the track bar bracket/mount, the driver's side u-bolt plate, nada. (So, what do they do? Pull an axle and crush the rest of the stuff that is absolutely necessary for a swap?)

Driver's side U bolt plate is unnecessary with a u-bolt flip.

Also, here's your panhard bracket, brand new with no rust like a junkyard or parts truck would have.

HOWEVER, since you seem pretty insistent on trying to get every single part in one shot, I would agree with Jim and say that YOUR best option is to just find a complete parts truck. One piece at a time works great for Johnny Cash and I, but I don't think it's the best route with your intentions.

• The D60 in OKC that Shaun found is a 3.54 and has the tie rods on it, but there is nothing else with it.

They do not have the track bar, the track bar bracket/mount, the driver's side u-bolt plate, nada. (So, what do they do? Pull an axle and crush the rest of the stuff that is absolutely necessary for a swap?)

Driver's side U bolt plate is unnecessary with a u-bolt flip.

Also, here's your panhard bracket, brand new with no rust like a junkyard or parts truck would have.

HOWEVER, since you seem pretty insistent on trying to get every single part in one shot, I would agree with Jim and say that YOUR best option is to just find a complete parts truck. One piece at a time works great for Johnny Cash and I, but I don't think it's the best route with your intentions.

Shaun - Thanks. But you brought up the u-bolt flip idea a bit ago and I didn't follow up. Will do, but if you have a link it would save me time. And, what are the benefits?

As for the panhard bracket, that may come in handy. But David came up with a bunch of the parts on ebay, including that bracket, the left-hand u-bolt bracket, and the shock brackets. So, the bits and pieces are available.

But, I may not be as sold on getting all the parts in one shot as you think. Or, maybe I'm waffling. I did a lot of calling around today and want to capture the notes here, and some of that may change my mind.

• Harmon 4wd: Adam sent me to Billy Young's 4WD for parts, but we did discuss the locker idea. He's not high on Ox, preferring the ARB. But, he also said the ARB is a pain to set up and it is pretty sure that the o-rings will start leaking in 2 - 10 years and require re-work.

And, he thinks he probably has a double-cardan yoke for a BW1345.

• Billy Young's Performance Differential: A friend of his has two D60's and he wants $1400 for each, and they are complete lock-out to lock-out. But he doesn't think they include the springs.

On the spring subject he suggested using the springs I have. But when I suggested SuperDuty springs he liked the idea.

As for gear ratios, he has 2-3 sets of 3.54's and he will swap for $50.

He will go through any axle, whether from his friend or elsewhere, for about $500, including parts such as bearings, seals, etc.

Regarding a locker, he's high on even the factory unit as wells as the Trutrac. (He might take my D44 Trutrac in as trade for parts or labor.) He really doesn't see the auto-lockers as being a problem since you won't be driving in 4wd at high speed on a road. But, if I want a locker like ARB he can install it, whether I buy from him or not. Just price the unit and check w/him to see if he can get it cheaper.

And, he says the track bar is not needed unless you have a diesel or large camper that is always on the truck. Says that it limits the travel of the axle to about 3", but that the springs will do a good job of locating the axle w/o the bar.

• Insurance Auction: I contacted my friend that runs an insurance agency. He pointed me to the auction company that handles the vehicles that have been totaled. That is TRA Auction, but looking at their website they currently don't have any SRW 4wd F350's.

So, it doesn't look like the insurance auction approach is going to pay off very quickly. And, the bits and pieces are coming out of the woodwork, so that approach may be viable. And, it would save me parting something out.

Anyway, I'm still exploring. And, I'd like your thoughts.

Shaun - Thanks. But you brought up the u-bolt flip idea a bit ago and I didn't follow up. Will do, but if you have a link it would save me time. And, what are the benefits?

As for the panhard bracket, that may come in handy. But David came up with a bunch of the parts on ebay, including that bracket, the left-hand u-bolt bracket, and the shock brackets. So, the bits and pieces are available.

But, I may not be as sold on getting all the parts in one shot as you think. Or, maybe I'm waffling. I did a lot of calling around today and want to capture the notes here, and some of that may change my mind.

• Harmon 4wd: Adam sent me to Billy Young's 4WD for parts, but we did discuss the locker idea. He's not high on Ox, preferring the ARB. But, he also said the ARB is a pain to set up and it is pretty sure that the o-rings will start leaking in 2 - 10 years and require re-work.

And, he thinks he probably has a double-cardan yoke for a BW1345.

• Billy Young's Performance Differential: A friend of his has two D60's and he wants $1400 for each, and they are complete lock-out to lock-out. But he doesn't think they include the springs.

On the spring subject he suggested using the springs I have. But when I suggested SuperDuty springs he liked the idea.

As for gear ratios, he has 2-3 sets of 3.54's and he will swap for $50.

He will go through any axle, whether from his friend or elsewhere, for about $500, including parts such as bearings, seals, etc.

Regarding a locker, he's high on even the factory unit as wells as the Trutrac. (He might take my D44 Trutrac in as trade for parts or labor.) He really doesn't see the auto-lockers as being a problem since you won't be driving in 4wd at high speed on a road. But, if I want a locker like ARB he can install it, whether I buy from him or not. Just price the unit and check w/him to see if he can get it cheaper.

And, he says the track bar is not needed unless you have a diesel or large camper that is always on the truck. Says that it limits the travel of the axle to about 3", but that the springs will do a good job of locating the axle w/o the bar.

• Insurance Auction: I contacted my friend that runs an insurance agency. He pointed me to the auction company that handles the vehicles that have been totaled. That is TRA Auction, but looking at their website they currently don't have any SRW 4wd F350's.

So, it doesn't look like the insurance auction approach is going to pay off very quickly. And, the bits and pieces are coming out of the woodwork, so that approach may be viable. And, it would save me parting something out.

Anyway, I'm still exploring. And, I'd like your thoughts.

When Billy suggests using the 250 springs you already have, all my faith in him goes up the chimney like smoke.

And his buddy with the D60?

To me @ $1400 it is already gone through, seals and any questionable bearings are replaced.

$500 on top of that?

I want some of what he's smoking.

Just my 2c, but I would exit stage left - in a hurry

With the U bolt flip kit, you will not need either of the U-bolt plates, the driver's side being the removable one and the passenger side being the one that is welded on. Most passenger side U-bolt plates are corroded past usability, so if you have a corroded axle, you'll more than likely be cutting it off anyway for a replacement. Rather than buy the replacement from Sky, you can just remove both plates and run U-bolts just like the rear axle. That keeps the threaded ends of the U-bolts pointing up rather than down like factory, which keeps them from catching on obstacles. The only downside is that you have to trim one notch into the webbing of the pumpkin, which really isn't that big of a deal if done right.

When Billy suggests using the 250 springs you already have, all my faith in him goes up the chimney like smoke.

And his buddy with the D60?

To me @ $1400 it is already gone through, seals and any questionable bearings are replaced.

$500 on top of that?

I want some of what he's smoking.

Just my 2c, but I would exit stage left - in a hurry

I was surprised about the springs as well. Perhaps I misunderstood? Maybe he was saying the F350 springs would fit the F250 perches?

As for the $1400 axles, maybe that price is after they've been gone through? The one in OKC is $840, so $1400 might be about right for one already to use.

We are planning on going into Tulsa tomorrow, although given the weather we are seeing right now who knows what is going to happen tomorrow. Anyway, I do want to talk to 4WD Parts and may also go by to see Billy. Not that I'm buying into what he was selling, but I'm not confident enough with my notes/understanding that I want to clear things up.

What was your take on the panhard bar?

With the U bolt flip kit, you will not need either of the U-bolt plates, the driver's side being the removable one and the passenger side being the one that is welded on. Most passenger side U-bolt plates are corroded past usability, so if you have a corroded axle, you'll more than likely be cutting it off anyway for a replacement. Rather than buy the replacement from Sky, you can just remove both plates and run U-bolts just like the rear axle. That keeps the threaded ends of the U-bolts pointing up rather than down like factory, which keeps them from catching on obstacles. The only downside is that you have to trim one notch into the webbing of the pumpkin, which really isn't that big of a deal if done right.

Shaun - Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Get the flip kit awa the u-bolts.

Add the SD springs and Sky's kit and it'll bolt together. However, with the flip kit where does the panhard rod attach?

You might talk me into the piecemeal approach after all. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I was surprised about the springs as well. Perhaps I misunderstood? Maybe he was saying the F350 springs would fit the F250 perches?

As for the $1400 axles, maybe that price is after they've been gone through? The one in OKC is $840, so $1400 might be about right for one already to use.

We are planning on going into Tulsa tomorrow, although given the weather we are seeing right now who knows what is going to happen tomorrow. Anyway, I do want to talk to 4WD Parts and may also go by to see Billy. Not that I'm buying into what he was selling, but I'm not confident enough with my notes/understanding that I want to clear things up.

I might go no panhard if I was into rock crawling but I've heard too many stories of death wobble and I like the idea of having the front axle attached by more than just the springs in a road driven vehicle.

Ford didn't put it on to piss away profit margin, did they?

Stay battened down.

I hear there's potential for 2"+ hail out your way.

Have you considered looking at Copart, or any of the big auctions?

Maybe Brandon has a line on someone who frequents the salvage auctions near you?

Stay battened down.

I hear there's potential for 2"+ hail out your way.

Have you considered looking at Copart, or any of the big auctions?

Maybe Brandon has a line on someone who frequents the salvage auctions near you?

You guys are really watching things! Just got a text from Chris saying he now understands why I have the safe room in the shop. And you are seeing it as well.

Fortunately they just lifted the tornado warning, although we are still in a watch until 1:00 AM. But, we are certainly in a flood warning. I posted a video of the creek behind the shop at about noon today on FB. It rarely has water in it but lately it has been running about 3" deep and 10" wide. Today it was probably 3' deep and 10' wide. Yes, really.

On the panhard rod, that was my thinking as well. Was curious what you thought.

You guys are really watching things! Just got a text from Chris saying he now understands why I have the safe room in the shop. And you are seeing it as well.

Fortunately they just lifted the tornado warning, although we are still in a watch until 1:00 AM. But, we are certainly in a flood warning. I posted a video of the creek behind the shop at about noon today on FB. It rarely has water in it but lately it has been running about 3" deep and 10" wide. Today it was probably 3' deep and 10' wide. Yes, really.

On the panhard rod, that was my thinking as well. Was curious what you thought.

The springs are mounted in rubber at both ends.

An oscillation that becomes harmonic can get out of hand quickly.

Not something I want to deal with, let alone pass on to my kids.