Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

Yes, larger valves. The heads I have, the F3TE's, have the largest of the 460 valves from what I remember.

I'll also have to compare chamber sizes on whatever is on the engine to those of the F3TE's.

But you are pointing out what I'd failed to think about - the possibility of the valve hitting the pistons. Guess I'll be playing with play dough to find out.

Certainly if Vern had the block decked or had taller pistons installed that possibility exists

Certainly if Vern had the block decked or had taller pistons installed that possibility exists

Jim, Gary, the F3TE heads do have larger valves, but the 1968-87 pistons have a 0.230" deep pocket in addition to small valve reliefs, roughly 21 ccs compression height is 1.760" (pin to crown), 1988-93 pistons have a 0.072" pocket with small valve reliefs, roughly 7 ccs and a compression height of 1.760" (what is in Darth's new engine), 1993-97 have a 0.180" pocket with valve reliefs, roughly 16 ccs and a 1.770" compression height. The E7TE and F3TE heads have a roughly 100 cc combustion chamber volume.

I did a number of calculations based on bore, heads, HG and piston to get what I wanted. I wanted the block decked but the gentleman building the engine didn't want to do it that way. FWIW, the deck height increased by 0.020" in 1972 along with a head change to drop the compression.

Jim, Gary, the F3TE heads do have larger valves, but the 1968-87 pistons have a 0.230" deep pocket in addition to small valve reliefs, roughly 21 ccs compression height is 1.760" (pin to crown), 1988-93 pistons have a 0.072" pocket with small valve reliefs, roughly 7 ccs and a compression height of 1.760" (what is in Darth's new engine), 1993-97 have a 0.180" pocket with valve reliefs, roughly 16 ccs and a 1.770" compression height. The E7TE and F3TE heads have a roughly 100 cc combustion chamber volume.

I did a number of calculations based on bore, heads, HG and piston to get what I wanted. I wanted the block decked but the gentleman building the engine didn't want to do it that way. FWIW, the deck height increased by 0.020" in 1972 along with a head change to drop the compression.

Bill - Thanks. What is the deck height for 1972+ engines? I'll want to check BB's deck height against that spec to see if it has been decked and that they didn't use taller pistons.

We shall see what the mongrel setup looks like as I pull it apart and envision installing the FI heads. Gonna resemble Johnny's Caddy.

Bill - Thanks. What is the deck height for 1972+ engines? I'll want to check BB's deck height against that spec to see if it has been decked and that they didn't use taller pistons.

We shall see what the mongrel setup looks like as I pull it apart and envision installing the FI heads. Gonna resemble Johnny's Caddy.

Scott Johnston'shttp://reincarnation-automotive.com/ site Reincarnation High Performance has all the incarnations of deck height and chamber volume.

The 460 Ford forum is a wealth of information too.

You say Vernon was meticulous about documentation. Surely there is information on engine internals???

Scott Johnston'shttp://reincarnation-automotive.com/ site Reincarnation High Performance has all the incarnations of deck height and chamber volume.

The 460 Ford forum is a wealth of information too.

You say Vernon was meticulous about documentation. Surely there is information on engine internals???

Thanks, I’ll go look at Scott’s site again.

But Vernon had no documentation on the engine. When I asked he said the “mechanic” did all that and he didn’t get any documentation. When Vernon discovered it leaked terribly, partially because it had no valve cover gaskets, he tried to go back on the guy - to no avail. Then the guy wouldn’t even answer the phone. So he got nothing. 😩

Thanks, I’ll go look at Scott’s site again.

But Vernon had no documentation on the engine. When I asked he said the “mechanic” did all that and he didn’t get any documentation. When Vernon discovered it leaked terribly, partially because it had no valve cover gaskets, he tried to go back on the guy - to no avail. Then the guy wouldn’t even answer the phone. So he got nothing. 😩

:nabble_smiley_cry:. It's really a shame when bad things happen to good people.

Saddens me to hear he was taken advantage of like that.

:nabble_smiley_cry:. It's really a shame when bad things happen to good people.

Saddens me to hear he was taken advantage of like that.

Yes. He was so fed up with it, and I don't blame him one bit, that he got completely out of Bullnoses. Wanted nothing to do with them.

David - You found the right song! Thanks. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, of those I'll see which had a D60 front axle, which should then give me the list from which to go shopping.

Should go like this: 1986 was the first year for the D60, but only on the F350. That carried all the way until 1997. F250's still had a TTB D44HD or D50 all the way until 1997. In 1995, when the F150 and Bronco switched to bolt on brake calipers, that's when the D60 did as well. But it also gained ball joints, so 1985-1994 D60's have Kingpins, 1995-1997 have balljoints.

And, of those I'll see which had a D60 front axle, which should then give me the list from which to go shopping.

Should go like this: 1986 was the first year for the D60, but only on the F350. That carried all the way until 1997. F250's still had a TTB D44HD or D50 all the way until 1997. In 1995, when the F150 and Bronco switched to bolt on brake calipers, that's when the D60 did as well. But it also gained ball joints, so 1985-1994 D60's have Kingpins, 1995-1997 have balljoints.

Shaun - Good to know. So, any 1986 to '94 4wd F350 w/a 460 or diesel would give me both the cross member and the suspension with king pins, and from '95-'97 would give me the same but with ball joints. Right?

But, is there much reason to prefer either ball joints or king pins?

And, do we know that the cross member stayed the same for all those years, or is that something I'll determine with the MPC?