Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

I'm glad the picture helps you visualize what WAS.

If it were me, at the very least I'd install the other bolt and weld some material back in.

If there were a source I'd consider replacing the cross member.

I don't like square notches or the stress risers they create, at all.

Jonathan - I thought the 460 had a different crossmember than the "other" engines. But, that's just what I've read. And the reason for that was supposed to be due to the oil filter's location. So, I really need to understand what crossmembers, meaning what years and engines, are correct for Big Blue as I think I am looking.

Headed out to the shop in a bit and I'll compare Jim's pic, above, to the crossmember on Dad's truck to see what I can figure out. But, Brandon is coming over for some machine-shop time, so I need to get started...

Jim - I'm in full agreement: replace the material or replace the crossmember. And in the interim install bolts where they should be.

But, if I can find a crossmember from which to "borrow" the material, then why not borrow the whole crossmember. It'll be "right" and I will not have to worry about the welds nor whether having welded them in weakened things when I get Big Blue crossed up on a trail 1000 miles from home.

Folks, I hate to say it but I'm BUMMED! What was to have been a fun project of upgrading the 460 to EFI and adding a ZF5 has become a needed project to replace a major suspension component.

I'm glad the picture helps you visualize what WAS.

If it were me, at the very least I'd install the other bolt and weld some material back in.

If there were a source I'd consider replacing the cross member.

I don't like square notches or the stress risers they create, at all.

Shame of it is, the one in the "huck" was probably the same piece, or at least close enough. Since it is raining out there, maybe you can go through the parts fiches and see if there is a PN for the cross member, and if the 2WD and 4WD are different. With that information you should be able to find one , maybe from a total hit in the rear so the front isn't damaged.

Jonathan - I thought the 460 had a different crossmember than the "other" engines. But, that's just what I've read. And the reason for that was supposed to be due to the oil filter's location. So, I really need to understand what crossmembers, meaning what years and engines, are correct for Big Blue as I think I am looking.

Headed out to the shop in a bit and I'll compare Jim's pic, above, to the crossmember on Dad's truck to see what I can figure out. But, Brandon is coming over for some machine-shop time, so I need to get started...

Jim - I'm in full agreement: replace the material or replace the crossmember. And in the interim install bolts where they should be.

But, if I can find a crossmember from which to "borrow" the material, then why not borrow the whole crossmember. It'll be "right" and I will not have to worry about the welds nor whether having welded them in weakened things when I get Big Blue crossed up on a trail 1000 miles from home.

Folks, I hate to say it but I'm BUMMED! What was to have been a fun project of upgrading the 460 to EFI and adding a ZF5 has become a needed project to replace a major suspension component.

I feel your pain Gary.

I know for sure that the 460 cross member has a hole in it so you can tighten the right angle filter adapter.

That would be an easy mod to any cross member with a hole saw or plasma cutter.

Again, let me know if there is a angle or dimension that you need.

I feel your pain Gary.

I know for sure that the 460 cross member has a hole in it so you can tighten the right angle filter adapter.

That would be an easy mod to any cross member with a hole saw or plasma cutter.

Again, let me know if there is a angle or dimension that you need.

.... I recall that my cross member was stamped '460' or '460 only' on the rear side.

I do not know if the bolt pattern for the perches is any different

.... I recall that my cross member was stamped '460' or '460 only' on the rear side.

I do not know if the bolt pattern for the perches is any different

Yes, I've already realized that Huck probably had the right floor as well as crossmember. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, before Brandon/Bruno2 gets here to play "machine shop" I'll do some cataloging to see if I can find part numbers for the crossmembers.

However, if there's a doubt about the Dad's crossmember being different from Big Blue's, see the pics below. The one on the left is Jim's, which should be identical to Big Blue's. The one on the right is Dad's.

Note that the 460 has two holes, presumably the one to the front is to tighten the bolts that Bill mentioned. And, the 460's has a dent in the crossmember just ahead of the front hole. That's to clear the oil filter.

But Dad's has only one hole and no dent, so it would not allow the oil filter to go on, and maybe not even the adapter that runs engine oil to the cooler.

Jims_Crossmember_1.thumb.jpg.84be4d974cb1f1362440ad550edd7107.jpgDads_Crossmember.thumb.jpg.5e3b9973a7f182f3e55ad81b9824b84a.jpg

Yes, I've already realized that Huck probably had the right floor as well as crossmember. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, before Brandon/Bruno2 gets here to play "machine shop" I'll do some cataloging to see if I can find part numbers for the crossmembers.

However, if there's a doubt about the Dad's crossmember being different from Big Blue's, see the pics below. The one on the left is Jim's, which should be identical to Big Blue's. The one on the right is Dad's.

Note that the 460 has two holes, presumably the one to the front is to tighten the bolts that Bill mentioned. And, the 460's has a dent in the crossmember just ahead of the front hole. That's to clear the oil filter.

But Dad's has only one hole and no dent, so it would not allow the oil filter to go on, and maybe not even the adapter that runs engine oil to the cooler.

Ok, here's the scoop. And Jonathan was right. :nabble_smiley_good:

As you can see on the left, the engine crossmember has basic part # 5C139. Then on the right a 1980-89, which is as far as the catalog goes, regular cab F250 has Parts List #7. And on #7 you find that the part for a diesel or 7.5L is E8TZ 5C139-B.

And my next post will be determining which parts lists and, therefore, trucks used that part number...... :nabble_anim_working:

f-series-frame-and-crossmembers_orig.thumb.jpg.68ebef3b5a3888189fdf9ecf9da07a4b.jpgcrossmember-parts-list-1_orig.thumb.jpg.7d4e9bcd5797df710fdd8219b0e20128.jpgparts-list-2_orig.thumb.jpg.b18e2a3be6495561ad6793d3d7dcf930.jpg

Ok, here's the scoop. And Jonathan was right. :nabble_smiley_good:

As you can see on the left, the engine crossmember has basic part # 5C139. Then on the right a 1980-89, which is as far as the catalog goes, regular cab F250 has Parts List #7. And on #7 you find that the part for a diesel or 7.5L is E8TZ 5C139-B.

And my next post will be determining which parts lists and, therefore, trucks used that part number...... :nabble_anim_working:

Uses of E8TZ 5C139-B:

# Years Mdl 4wd Diesel/460 Leafs

4 1980-89 F150 X X No F150 got the big engines so this is wrong.

6 1980-89 F250 SC X X X

7 1980-89 F250 RC X X X

8 1980-89 F350 133" X X X RCLB

9 1980-89 F350 136" X X X Chassis cab was 136.8"

10 1980-87 F350 160" X X X Chassis cab was 160.8"

13 1981-89 F150 SP X X SP = Snow Plow. But no F150 got the big engines so...

14 1983-89 F350 168" X X X Crew Cab

22 1988-89 F350 160" X X X Chassis cab was 160.8"

23 1988-89 F350 155" X X X SCLB

Uses of E8TZ 5C139-B:

# Years Mdl 4wd Diesel/460 Leafs

4 1980-89 F150 X X No F150 got the big engines so this is wrong.

6 1980-89 F250 SC X X X

7 1980-89 F250 RC X X X

8 1980-89 F350 133" X X X RCLB

9 1980-89 F350 136" X X X Chassis cab was 136.8"

10 1980-87 F350 160" X X X Chassis cab was 160.8"

13 1981-89 F150 SP X X SP = Snow Plow. But no F150 got the big engines so...

14 1983-89 F350 168" X X X Crew Cab

22 1988-89 F350 160" X X X Chassis cab was 160.8"

23 1988-89 F350 155" X X X SCLB

Wow. Thats a lot of different cross members. Gary, remember how Summit listed that header as 2WD only, but it works in my f150 fwd? Im guessing 4wd's with the larger cross members would NOT fit that header. Im pretty sure my cross member is no where near as beefy as the one for the 460 or IDI. Im guessing its basically the same as a f150 2wd.

Wow. Thats a lot of different cross members. Gary, remember how Summit listed that header as 2WD only, but it works in my f150 fwd? Im guessing 4wd's with the larger cross members would NOT fit that header. Im pretty sure my cross member is no where near as beefy as the one for the 460 or IDI. Im guessing its basically the same as a f150 2wd.

Do you still want me to take some pics Gary!