Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

Grumpin - I'll take more pics tomorrow, but those were taken around/over the front sway bar and I was laying in front of the tire.

Cory - The perches are red. RED! :nabble_smiley_argh: So they've been off and some !@#$%^&* painted them, sorta bolted them back on, and butchered the crossmember to boot. :nabble_smiley_cry:

OK. I'll take some tomorrow.

Wow, usually people butcher the frames to put a 460 where it wasn't originally equipped. Can't say I've seen someone butcher an original 460 frame for a 460. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Shaun - Apparently there are NO honest mechanics in your state. Certainly Vernon found none. Everything he had done was done so poorly as to be criminal.

Grumpin - Thanks. As well I.

Gary, here is my F350 4x4 cross member... is this the correct opening?

Jonathan - I don't know. I haven't gotten my head around what I'm looking at there. But that's for the IDI, right? And the 460 has a different crossmember, so I don't think it is the same hole.

Jonathan - I don't know. I haven't gotten my head around what I'm looking at there. But that's for the IDI, right? And the 460 has a different crossmember, so I don't think it is the same hole.

Gary,

I have some good shots of my truck's cross member being power washed at the beginning of my Flickr set '460 repower'

It is raining atm, but if you want me to take some pics when it dries out lmk.

Gary,

In reply to your first post.

Yes the bump rubbers are very close to an F-250's reverse arch springs.

In large part to the TTB's inability to deal with geometry changes and partly because of the way the TTB twists the leaf spring on its bushing and shackles.

There was a little discussion about this in the previous 2wd to 4wd F-250 thread.

I have no idea what Ford was thinking and Bill refers to it as a crackhead design.

Gary,

In reply to your first post.

Yes the bump rubbers are very close to an F-250's reverse arch springs.

In large part to the TTB's inability to deal with geometry changes and partly because of the way the TTB twists the leaf spring on its bushing and shackles.

There was a little discussion about this in the previous 2wd to 4wd F-250 thread.

I have no idea what Ford was thinking and Bill refers to it as a crackhead design.

The sad thing about the TTB, the F150 version with coil springs is very popular in the off road racing world due to it's ability to take extreme amounts of travel with no problems. Had Ford simply used the F250/350 2WD style suspension on the 4WD models they would probably have worked as well as the F150s did and ride a whole lot better.

Gary,

I have some good shots of my truck's cross member being power washed at the beginning of my Flickr set '460 repower'

It is raining atm, but if you want me to take some pics when it dries out lmk.

Jim - It is raining here as well, and may do all week. No need for any of us to get wet as I'm not ready to do anything quite yet. But, I do want to do some planning, so seeing what I have vs what it is supposed to be would help.

And, here's one of your pics. Don't think I'm going to find a better shot. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks to me like they opened up the back of the two holes by sawing the horizontal and vertical parts out

to just above the bolt line for the perch. And then only put one of the three horizontal bolts in.

Thoughts on what to do?

As for the suspension, sounds like it is correct, albeit poorly designed.

Jims_Crossmember_1.thumb.jpg.776653d5047d0b7b8edd2ca509b0dd7a.jpgDSCN3812.thumb.jpg.893fd177e1f98fbe299f6c6cbbd54dbd.jpg

Gary, I don’t think the IDI has a special cross member, just different perch plates. I could be wrong but I’ve never heard of a difference and folks swap them all the time and don’t have to modify anything 🤷‍♂️

Jim - It is raining here as well, and may do all week. No need for any of us to get wet as I'm not ready to do anything quite yet. But, I do want to do some planning, so seeing what I have vs what it is supposed to be would help.

And, here's one of your pics. Don't think I'm going to find a better shot. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks to me like they opened up the back of the two holes by sawing the horizontal and vertical parts out

to just above the bolt line for the perch. And then only put one of the three horizontal bolts in.

Thoughts on what to do?

As for the suspension, sounds like it is correct, albeit poorly designed.

I'm glad the picture helps you visualize what WAS.

If it were me, at the very least I'd install the other bolt and weld some material back in.

If there were a source I'd consider replacing the cross member.

I don't like square notches or the stress risers they create, at all.