Bullnose Forums

Shudder and stumble off idle

I couldn't find the ohms range in my 1986 manual for the coil, but I found this link.

https://itstillruns.com/test-ford-ignition-coil-5941137.html

I had a hard start problem on my 92 Bronco when cold and I found one side out of range and the new coil fixed it.

Another thing is a vacuum leak. Could be around the intake manifold also. I believe you checked this though. Couldn't hurt to check all around with some brake cleaner or starting fluid.

And I would still be suspicious of the carb..

Thanks for that link Grumpin, based on what I read in that article and what my coil shows, I believe we can rule out a bad coil as it falls within the specs....I am going to go ahead and order the correct Holley rebuild kit.

IMG_20190426_184113.thumb.jpg.30e724a58aeadf5ad889784b934206a6.jpg

IMG_20190426_184204.thumb.jpg.15630ac063fd0635769886014f534fd9.jpg

IMG_20190426_184209.thumb.jpg.3be627eb83653397bca9319288360f8c.jpg

Thanks for that link Grumpin, based on what I read in that article and what my coil shows, I believe we can rule out a bad coil as it falls within the specs....I am going to go ahead and order the correct Holley rebuild kit.

You're welcome!

That's great! One more item eliminated. Good job!

I like the meter! Never owned a Fluke, but used many, the last job I had, we had three in the shop.

I did a late night check on the truck, the fuel stream coming out of the jets (or whatever the term is...sorry I am still learning carbs) is very noticeable, I can hear the streams when I pump/manually push the throttle cable and see a decent amount of fuel being pushed out. When the motor is warm I hear a nice little swish when I open the throttle (engine off) followed by some steam/smoke coming out of the top of the carb.

Even if you heard the squirt you will find most of the time you will when you work the throttle by hand.

With day light open the choke and look down inside and move the throttle just a little it should squirt. Most of the time I find they do not. The Holley you can adjust this and should squirt with any throttle movement.

When you rebuild it you will see all the adjustments the Holley carb has. I have never had good luck on the pump cam adjustment but had with going with bigger squiters, where the fuel comes out. As a guess it is a 28 and I found 30 or 31 works for me most of the time. I also have 1 or 2 Holley's with a 50cc pump on it, they come with 30cc pumps.

When you do rebuild it with pen & paper make note of the squirter(s) number, main jet numbers, power valve number you install from the kit (6.5 as a guess) and what hole the pump screw is in.

This way you know what is in it to start and if you need to make changes up or down you know with out pulling the carb apart to check.

Dave ----