Bullnose Forums

F350 losing power..... Help!

Grumpin,

The clutch was replaced two or three weeks ago.

ArdWrknTrk,

Altitude is a factor. I live at 6k ft currently, and those passes were around 7-7.5k ft.

As for the EGR plate and gaskets, I honestly don't know if they are free and clear of the venturi's. I will pull the carb off today and look at them, because I just used what was on it before, assuming it had to be what would work best and put the new carb on top. I believe the old carb was the stock one. Motorcraft Holly.

Thanks everyone for the help. It actually did help out a ton. So I was able to swap out the rear tanks fuel pump assembly successfully today. I did discover another issue, as with most things on this truck haha.

My fuel tank selector dew-hickey is not switching tanks properly and is getting stuck between the switches.

So my question to you is, what in the world is the difference between these selector valves on O'Reilly's website? They have about 6 to choose from, from $45-$650 for the unit. I read the descriptions and they sound the exact same to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the help. It actually did help out a ton. So I was able to swap out the rear tanks fuel pump assembly successfully today. I did discover another issue, as with most things on this truck haha.

My fuel tank selector dew-hickey is not switching tanks properly and is getting stuck between the switches.

So my question to you is, what in the world is the difference between these selector valves on O'Reilly's website? They have about 6 to choose from, from $45-$650 for the unit. I read the descriptions and they sound the exact same to me. Any suggestions?

The selector valve you have is peculiar to the 1986 models if I remember correctly. It has the 6 ports, 3 supply and 3 return, and is motor operated, but also includes the switch for the fuel gauge senders: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/fuel-tank-selector--gauges1.html Unless one of the ones you are looking at is an exact replacement for the original see if any of the ones you are looking at gives a Ford PN, it should be an E with a number, probably will be a 4 (possibly) 5 or 6 indicating the year of release. Gary's part number list shows it as E5TZ-9189-B, there is also an E3TZ-9189-C, but it is listed as 1983-1985 models, so the 1986 is unique to 1986 models. Unfortunately the one I pulled off Darth when I went to EFI is long gone to someone on FTE.

The selector valve you have is peculiar to the 1986 models if I remember correctly. It has the 6 ports, 3 supply and 3 return, and is motor operated, but also includes the switch for the fuel gauge senders: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/fuel-tank-selector--gauges1.html Unless one of the ones you are looking at is an exact replacement for the original see if any of the ones you are looking at gives a Ford PN, it should be an E with a number, probably will be a 4 (possibly) 5 or 6 indicating the year of release. Gary's part number list shows it as E5TZ-9189-B, there is also an E3TZ-9189-C, but it is listed as 1983-1985 models, so the 1986 is unique to 1986 models. Unfortunately the one I pulled off Darth when I went to EFI is long gone to someone on FTE.

Bill,

Since you have (had) an '86 460 with in-tank pumps can you tell what is unique about this year?

I've heard a lot of 460 & diesel guys retrofitting the unobtainable Ford switch valve with the Pollak 42-302 six port kit.

Maybe Jonathan knows something about it too?

Yes, you have to wire the new pigtail plug and eliminate the Ford nylon hose end clips.

This motor driven valve does switch senders and has 3/8 supply with 5/16 return ports.

My understanding is it's widely available in the aftermarket.

Bill,

Since you have (had) an '86 460 with in-tank pumps can you tell what is unique about this year?

I've heard a lot of 460 & diesel guys retrofitting the unobtainable Ford switch valve with the Pollak 42-302 six port kit.

Yes, you have to wire the new pigtail plug and eliminate the Ford nylon hose end clips.

This motor driven valve does switch senders and has 3/8 supply with 5/16 return ports.

FWIW, here's the variety of suppliers the Pollak selector valve is sold under.

(Edit) Be sure to get a *kit* that includes the plug.

Maybe O'Reillys stocks one of them?

42-302 42-302P 6 Port Fuel Tank Selector Valve Kit Harness - Gas Diesel

ACDELCO GM ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT 14029228

ACDELCO GM ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT CANADA 14029228

AIRTEX AUTOMOTIVE DIVISION 8F1312

BWD AUTOMOTIVE FSV3

CARQUEST 541701

CARQUEST/STANDARD MOTOR PRODS. 541701

CARQUEST/STANDARD MOTOR PRODS. FV5

CARQUEST/WELLS 541701

ECHLIN 22198

FEDERATED IGNITION FSV3

GP SORENSEN FSV2

KEMPARTS FTV2

NAPA 22198

NAPA 32198

NAPA/ECHLIN FUEL SYSTEM-CRB 22198

NAPA/MILEAGE PLUS FUEL-MPF 32198

NIEHOFF UN52

POLLAK 42149

POLLAK 42203

SIERRA MARINE FSV2

WELLS 541701

WELLS FSV2

Bill,

Jim, the changes were in the power source for the selector valve, through 1985 it was fed with 12V from one of the fuses, starting in 1986 it is fed from the pump feed circuit, meaning battery feed through the small fusible link when cranking and through the pump feed once running. This means the valve will not change position with the dash switch unless you are cranking the engine or the truck is running.

Real fun if one tank runs out and the engine cuts off, because at this point if you don't still have some oil pressure, it will not switch until you turn the key to "start".

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=E5TZ-9189-B&_sacat=6030&_sop=15

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=E5TZ-9189-B&_sacat=6030&_sop=15

They're proud of those aren't they? Glad I no longer have one on Darth.

They're proud of those aren't they? Glad I no longer have one on Darth.

The aftermarket alternative is about $70 with the pigtail plug.

You do have to modify the stock harness and lines.

OEM may have lasted 33 years.

I know I've never changed mine.

If I did I'd save the $250 to put in the tanks.