Bullnose Forums

Rosebud

You know, you can jumper the safety switch with a spare fuse from the fuse box. *idea!

Surprisingly, the slots are a perfect fit. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Now that’s what I call tech right there! There’s not many forums out there for any vehicle that can take it to that level.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, you can jumper the safety switch with a spare fuse from the fuse box. *idea!

Surprisingly, the slots are a perfect fit. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Now that’s what I call tech right there! There’s not many forums out there for any vehicle that can take it to that level.

Sometimes the simplest methods are the easiest to test if a component is going bad.

Taking it out of the equation is an easy diagnostic.

Picking up these little tips can help everyone, so I try to share. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 10 months later...

Wow, I didn't realize it had been so long! Rosebud is still in progress, slow as it may be. The plan is evolving, though. I gave the engine a fresh set of rings and bearings, a Comp 212/212 .480/.480 cam, and a Street Demon 625 carb. I still wanted to try out a quick fuel 450, but i got the Demon at a pretty nice discount. It's running good, but blows bubbles in the cooling system. I knew I should have gotten the heads checked out. Since last fall, I've been using it to move other junk around the yard, and havent made any more progress.

In the meantime, I bought an '00 2wd Lincoln Navigator with a locked up engine thinking I would use its undercarriage for my '55 F100. The more I think about it though, I like the bullnose better than the '55. I also bought an '82 F100 2wd with thoughts of building a Bullnose truck with similar specs to a first gen Lightning. This truck had a 302 that was locked up, so I took it apart to see what was going on. I found a little bit of water in the #8 cylinder, and a bent connecting rod. It also had an AOD transmission, so that has been added to the parts pile.

So as it stands right now, the plan is to use the Navigator chassis, piece together a body from the '86 and '82, use the Rosebud engine and the AOD to build the truck that I want. I have never considered myself very good at bodywork, but it looks like I'm about to get some practice.

Wow, I didn't realize it had been so long! Rosebud is still in progress, slow as it may be. The plan is evolving, though. I gave the engine a fresh set of rings and bearings, a Comp 212/212 .480/.480 cam, and a Street Demon 625 carb. I still wanted to try out a quick fuel 450, but i got the Demon at a pretty nice discount. It's running good, but blows bubbles in the cooling system. I knew I should have gotten the heads checked out. Since last fall, I've been using it to move other junk around the yard, and havent made any more progress.

In the meantime, I bought an '00 2wd Lincoln Navigator with a locked up engine thinking I would use its undercarriage for my '55 F100. The more I think about it though, I like the bullnose better than the '55. I also bought an '82 F100 2wd with thoughts of building a Bullnose truck with similar specs to a first gen Lightning. This truck had a 302 that was locked up, so I took it apart to see what was going on. I found a little bit of water in the #8 cylinder, and a bent connecting rod. It also had an AOD transmission, so that has been added to the parts pile.

So as it stands right now, the plan is to use the Navigator chassis, piece together a body from the '86 and '82, use the Rosebud engine and the AOD to build the truck that I want. I have never considered myself very good at bodywork, but it looks like I'm about to get some practice.

Man, it HAS been a while. Wow!

But I'm glad Rosebud is running. However, the bubbles aren't a good sign. So, since you plan to use that engine I'd suggest doing a leak-down test and see if you can determine which head is leaking. That way you might only have to pull one.

As for the Navigator, what is the advantage of using its chassis under a Bullnose? Better ride? Handling?

And how hard is that to do? Are the wheelbases the same?

Man, it HAS been a while. Wow!

But I'm glad Rosebud is running. However, the bubbles aren't a good sign. So, since you plan to use that engine I'd suggest doing a leak-down test and see if you can determine which head is leaking. That way you might only have to pull one.

As for the Navigator, what is the advantage of using its chassis under a Bullnose? Better ride? Handling?

And how hard is that to do? Are the wheelbases the same?

It is a much stiffer frame, fully boxed and wider. It came from the factory with air ride, but it has been converted to coil springs at some point (A popular way to avoid the costs of fixing broken air ride). A-arm front suspension and 4-link rear with substantial sway bars. The truck being a lot lighter than the navigator might mean that the ride isn't luxurious, but I will do something about it if it's too bad. It also has better brakes, and a huge gas tank that I hope to retain. The wheelbase is within an inch of a shortbed bullnose. One crazy idea i have is to build a "unibody" like the trucks from the '60s, just because I like those, and I think this frame could be stiff enough to support it. The Navigator also has the steering box attached in the way you guys told me about, with the tubes through the chassis.

This isn't a terribly practical plan, But since I have the stuff sitting around, I think it will be fun. It will also condense my fleet of junk down a little bit. If I could end up with a nice driving bullnose for a daily driver, That would be great! I have a 1940 Hudson that I put on a 1997 Tahoe chassis three years ago, and it works really well. Body swaps have always appealed to me for some reason.

It is a much stiffer frame, fully boxed and wider. It came from the factory with air ride, but it has been converted to coil springs at some point (A popular way to avoid the costs of fixing broken air ride). A-arm front suspension and 4-link rear with substantial sway bars. The truck being a lot lighter than the navigator might mean that the ride isn't luxurious, but I will do something about it if it's too bad. It also has better brakes, and a huge gas tank that I hope to retain. The wheelbase is within an inch of a shortbed bullnose. One crazy idea i have is to build a "unibody" like the trucks from the '60s, just because I like those, and I think this frame could be stiff enough to support it. The Navigator also has the steering box attached in the way you guys told me about, with the tubes through the chassis.

This isn't a terribly practical plan, But since I have the stuff sitting around, I think it will be fun. It will also condense my fleet of junk down a little bit. If I could end up with a nice driving bullnose for a daily driver, That would be great! I have a 1940 Hudson that I put on a 1997 Tahoe chassis three years ago, and it works really well. Body swaps have always appealed to me for some reason.

So, something like 118"?

The idea of a big Bronco with a passthrough is pretty appealing! 😊

The newer chassis would be nice, but I think I'd want more than a tired 302 to motivate it.

So, something like 118"?

The idea of a big Bronco with a passthrough is pretty appealing! 😊

The newer chassis would be nice, but I think I'd want more than a tired 302 to motivate it.

Ok, I understand. Thanks.

But, like Jim, my next question was "Where's the similar specs to a first gen Lightning?" Rosebud's 302 doesn't seem like it fits the bill.

Yep hone, dingle berries, dingle balls, bunch of grapes, people call them all kinds of stuff. The cylinder walls look like they’ve probably seen some ether. They aren’t scarred, but like it’s been run dry.

A popular method to stiffen the steering box in the Jeep world is a brace running from the passenger side frame to the bottom of the gear box, clamped around the area where the sector shaft exits. I was thinking of some version of that, but anything can happen when I get a day off to work on it again. The thick tubes through the frame do sound like a better mounting method, but it seems like that would just move the stress point without some additional stiffening to go along with it. I can assure you that whatever I end up with will be some jackleg trash, but hopefully strong trash.

You guys were talking about bracing the steering box. Thought you die hard off roaders might be interested in this.

https://solomotorsports.com/shop/parts/general-parts/steering-box-sector-shaft-double-shear-adapter/

You guys were talking about bracing the steering box. Thought you die hard off roaders might be interested in this.

https://solomotorsports.com/shop/parts/general-parts/steering-box-sector-shaft-double-shear-adapter/

A link bar attached to that adapter, running to the opposite side of the chassis, would be really helpful in my opinion, especially when using a dropped Pitman arm.