Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

Yes, smoke is done with the engine off, blowing into a vacuum hose and seeing where it comes out. But plug all ports first to see what is happening.

And check the fit of the carb to the intake manifold. Or squirt brake cleaner there. There are problems sometimes getting an Eddy to seal to the intake.

Disconnect the throttle cable, to assure it is not binding.

Perhaps the openings in the spacer are a little too small and the butterflies are sticking.

I don't think the engine is over carbureted. Many are successfully using 500-650 CFM carburetors.

Don't forget to cover the carburetor opening for the smoke test. Duct tape works fine.

My son's 4.9L idled @ ~1300 RPMs with a hole in the end of 1 very well hidden vacuum cap.

Perhaps the openings in the spacer are a little too small and the butterflies are sticking.

I don't think the engine is over carbureted. Many are successfully using 500-650 CFM carburetors.

Don't forget to cover the carburetor opening for the smoke test. Duct tape works fine.

My son's 4.9L idled @ ~1300 RPMs with a hole in the end of 1 very well hidden vacuum cap.

Golden post right there David! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I do sometimes wish we had a Rep system, like back at FTE.

Okay.....I am a doom azz.....while you were responding, I was double checking. My throttle cable was just a smidge too tight. I loosened it a hair and now the thing idles just perfect.

So...I am perhaps not done tuning the thing. I am not noticing a significant power increase. It revs MUCH faster, but under load I would say its a marginal increase on the butt dyno, if anything at all. Maybe that increase in flow helps with top end but does nothing for low end torque. I have not had it out on the highway yet and opened it up.

So....cam suggestions? I see I don't have the screw in studs....so rocker arms are out of the question....hmmm....Maybe I should just get a High Po head and do a cam swap? I dunno. FI is still not out of the picture, but I will run this 600 Eddy for awhile and see how she does. It's certainly much cheaper and easy than FI.

I do think the truck idles a bit more choppy now, at idle it sounds a bit more like a proper old cammed v8. Soon as you touch the gas though its obvious it aint no v8.

Okay.....I am a doom azz.....while you were responding, I was double checking. My throttle cable was just a smidge too tight. I loosened it a hair and now the thing idles just perfect.

So...I am perhaps not done tuning the thing. I am not noticing a significant power increase. It revs MUCH faster, but under load I would say its a marginal increase on the butt dyno, if anything at all. Maybe that increase in flow helps with top end but does nothing for low end torque. I have not had it out on the highway yet and opened it up.

So....cam suggestions? I see I don't have the screw in studs....so rocker arms are out of the question....hmmm....Maybe I should just get a High Po head and do a cam swap? I dunno. FI is still not out of the picture, but I will run this 600 Eddy for awhile and see how she does. It's certainly much cheaper and easy than FI.

I do think the truck idles a bit more choppy now, at idle it sounds a bit more like a proper old cammed v8. Soon as you touch the gas though its obvious it aint no v8.

Congrat's! Glad you got it to idle down.

Which Eddy do you have. The 1406 or 1405? 1405 is the performance version and is jetted for that. The 1406 is jetted for economy.

A larger carb will do nothing for torque off-idle. The only place it'll really help is in letting the thing run better at WOT with the R's climbing.

Congrat's! Glad you got it to idle down.

Which Eddy do you have. The 1406 or 1405? 1405 is the performance version and is jetted for that. The 1406 is jetted for economy.

A larger carb will do nothing for torque off-idle. The only place it'll really help is in letting the thing run better at WOT with the R's climbing.

1406, electric choke. Choke works great. Should I get a jet kit and mess with it, or will it be a marginal improvement?

1406, electric choke. Choke works great. Should I get a jet kit and mess with it, or will it be a marginal improvement?

I'd drive it the way it is and see how it does.

Basically what you've done is go from a limited-flow capability carb to one that has a lot of flow capability. But that flow isn't used until you start winding the engine up. And that carb is jetted to handle a 350 cubic inch engine right from the box, so it isn't likely it needs to be changed to drop down to a 300.

I'd drive it the way it is and see how it does.

Basically what you've done is go from a limited-flow capability carb to one that has a lot of flow capability. But that flow isn't used until you start winding the engine up. And that carb is jetted to handle a 350 cubic inch engine right from the box, so it isn't likely it needs to be changed to drop down to a 300.

Yeah, I drove it a little more. Honestly, I aint impressed with the setup over the factory log intake and 1 barrel. Its good enough. Its a 300 Straight six, I ain't going to get 300hp and 400lb ft of torque easily. So, for now its a tinker toy.

Maybe I will start watching for a ecoboost pullout....or a coyote 5.0 2nd gen.....or.......turbo 300 six? Or....I need to just shut up and go to bed....

Yeah, I drove it a little more. Honestly, I aint impressed with the setup over the factory log intake and 1 barrel. Its good enough. Its a 300 Straight six, I ain't going to get 300hp and 400lb ft of torque easily. So, for now its a tinker toy.

Maybe I will start watching for a ecoboost pullout....or a coyote 5.0 2nd gen.....or.......turbo 300 six? Or....I need to just shut up and go to bed....

Alright.....TIRES!!!

So I have 32x11.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains. They are take-offs from the bronco. I've not been able to get a good balance. Either they are flat spotted, or there are no tire techs around here that know what they heck they are doing.

Anyway, they are loud. I am going to have the exhaust done, and get new tires. So, the goal is to get it running a little more quiet. I love the look of a tall tire. Any suggestions? Something close to what I have now. 295x75x15, 32x11.5x15....etc...something about that size.