Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

On another subject. While removing the transfer case, I noticed near the fill hole its embossed "ATF Only". Its an NP208.

So, I pull the drain plug expecting ATF, and gear oil comes out. I remove the tcase from the transmission and there is nothing, no seals separating the tcase fluid from the tranny fluid. Of course, the 4 speed uses 80-90. So I assumed Id fill everything back up with 80-90.

Why would the tcase say ATF only? There is no way you are going to keep ATF out of the transmission case if you fill the tcase with ATF.

:nabble_anim_confused:

There should be a seal around the output shaft of the transmission, keeping gear oil in. There should be a seal on the input shaft of the transfer case, that keeps the ATF in. The extension housing that connects the two should stay dry. However if both seals fail, I guess the possibility is there for the fluid to mix.

There should be a seal around the output shaft of the transmission, keeping gear oil in. There should be a seal on the input shaft of the transfer case, that keeps the ATF in. The extension housing that connects the two should stay dry. However if both seals fail, I guess the possibility is there for the fluid to mix.

Ray - Shaun is right. 80/90 in the tranny and ATF in the t-case, and never the twain should meet.

Bill, Shaun, Jim and Gary,

Thanks for the advice and opinions.

Gary, I think I will follow the factory advice as you have.

Jim, thanks for calling me out and keeping me on my toes. Im not a degreed engineer. Two year CAD degree, but I do work circles around some "degreed" engineers. The clutch was replaced in 2004 by the previous owner. I am assuming the throw out bearing was replaced then. The pilot bearing was in good shape, but I replaced it and the RMS anyway. I dont think I want to debate on throw out bearing longevity, and how to maximize it. Im going to do what the factory suggests.

Ray, I absolutely agree, you should follow the FSM. :nabble_anim_rules:RTFM!!!

So, the bearing is 15 years old...

Just like the pilot bearing and RMS it's WAY too much labor to get in there for the $20 you'd save not replacing them.

And, like many other things, it's only new once.

Shaun, I guess that is what threw me off. When I removed the tcase, gear oil came out of the housing between the tranny and tcase. Then, when I removed the trans, gear oil kept coming out the rear. I assumed it was all the same. So, I have a bad transmission output shaft seal leaking gear oil into the tcase......oh well.....I guess im leaving the gear oil in there for now. It works fine. Its chain driven, no clutches I believe. Should be aight.

Shaun, I guess that is what threw me off. When I removed the tcase, gear oil came out of the housing between the tranny and tcase. Then, when I removed the trans, gear oil kept coming out the rear. I assumed it was all the same. So, I have a bad transmission output shaft seal leaking gear oil into the tcase......oh well.....I guess im leaving the gear oil in there for now. It works fine. Its chain driven, no clutches I believe. Should be aight.

Yes, gear oil usually gets past the seal in the tranny and into the space between the tranny and the t-case. But, not into the t-case. Did you drain the t-case? Did it have just ATF in it?

Yes, gear oil usually gets past the seal in the tranny and into the space between the tranny and the t-case. But, not into the t-case. Did you drain the t-case? Did it have just ATF in it?

The tcase was FULL of gear oil. Not a drop of ATF came out of it.

Then someone put gear oil in instead of ATF. Wrong stuff.