Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

Ok, I have the truck all apart. I replaced the rear main seal. I inspected the old seal and sure enough, only one lip as Dave mentioned. I ordered a seal from Summit because I got the clutch from them too. The seal has two lips.

I am replacing the flywheel too. After inspection, it looks cooked. It has a lot of spots that got too hot during the slipping that has been going on. Im not sure if resurfacing it would be a good idea. Im thinking the hardened surface would need to be annealed. New is just the way to go.

The lift makes it easy to wrestle tcases and transmissions out, but gravity makes it hard to reinstall....so not looking forward to putting them back in.

On a side note, my buddies 87 bronco he gave me hasnt ran in 5 years. Out of curiosity, and hopes that I might be able to get it moved to a new spot in the yard, I threw a battery in it last week, said three hail marrys, and turned the key.....dang thing fired right up!!! 5 year old gas!!!!

After letting it idle a minute, I gave it a rev, and a HUGE collection of insulation, rat poop, rust, and dead mouses(mice) babies came blowing out the back!! Then the wasps got pissed off and stung me in the belly and neck. Gah dangit!!

I called my buddy immediately. He couldnt believe it. We both thought the bronco would never live again.

I cannot overstate just how bad the bronco is. The body is welded to the frame because all the body mounts are gone.

So we made plans for Matt to come over and we were going to have at least one more last hurrah redneck style....

So Matt came over saturday. We took the topper off and tried the brakes. No brakes. Front passenger side line was rusted through. So found a bolt to cap off the distribution block on the frame. Fresh fluid, and we had one front brake and two rear. Good enough for us.

So with brakes and a running 302, we thought....hmmmm.....not loud enough.....so we drank a little more beer then got the cutter wheel out, 10 minutes later.....no muffler. Time for a good old redneckin time!!

Took it out in the back yard, about 3 acres, and tore up the grass. We took turns sittin in the back seat. Holly and the boys wanted a turn, so Matt grabbed a phone and I threw the family in and we made a good ole family video. I'll get it youtubed and post a link.

It was a glorious time! Its so much fun beating on an old bronco that has no hope. We swore to each other to keep beating the bronco as long as we can!

On a side note, my buddies 87 bronco he gave me hasnt ran in 5 years. Out of curiosity, and hopes that I might be able to get it moved to a new spot in the yard, I threw a battery in it last week, said three hail marrys, and turned the key.....dang thing fired right up!!! 5 year old gas!!!!

After letting it idle a minute, I gave it a rev, and a HUGE collection of insulation, rat poop, rust, and dead mouses(mice) babies came blowing out the back!! Then the wasps got pissed off and stung me in the belly and neck. Gah dangit!!

I called my buddy immediately. He couldnt believe it. We both thought the bronco would never live again.

I cannot overstate just how bad the bronco is. The body is welded to the frame because all the body mounts are gone.

So we made plans for Matt to come over and we were going to have at least one more last hurrah redneck style....

So Matt came over saturday. We took the topper off and tried the brakes. No brakes. Front passenger side line was rusted through. So found a bolt to cap off the distribution block on the frame. Fresh fluid, and we had one front brake and two rear. Good enough for us.

So with brakes and a running 302, we thought....hmmmm.....not loud enough.....so we drank a little more beer then got the cutter wheel out, 10 minutes later.....no muffler. Time for a good old redneckin time!!

Took it out in the back yard, about 3 acres, and tore up the grass. We took turns sittin in the back seat. Holly and the boys wanted a turn, so Matt grabbed a phone and I threw the family in and we made a good ole family video. I'll get it youtubed and post a link.

It was a glorious time! Its so much fun beating on an old bronco that has no hope. We swore to each other to keep beating the bronco as long as we can!

Yee haw! More smiles from an old bullnose! :nabble_smiley_tongue:

Its a bricknose....87'. But who cares, right? We are planning to take off all unecessary items and do some muddin. So if there is anything any yall want, lemme know.

Ha! Didn’t even catch that. What fun!

Edit: Not that I can think of. I was thinking the other day that my Bronco has been very dependable, the best I’ve had since I sold my 1968 Chevy C-10.

Its a bricknose....87'. But who cares, right? We are planning to take off all unecessary items and do some muddin. So if there is anything any yall want, lemme know.

Well, I got the new flywheel and clutch installed. Was going to wait for a buddy to help me lift the transmission back in, but I stopped being a little girl and picked that hunk of metal up like Hulk, lifted it over my head and put it back in there by myself. Yeah....ive been working out.....still skinny though....

I had to take a 20 minute shower after that. Gear oil and 37 years of dirt and clutch dust equals one stinky sweaty dude.

Well, I got the new flywheel and clutch installed. Was going to wait for a buddy to help me lift the transmission back in, but I stopped being a little girl and picked that hunk of metal up like Hulk, lifted it over my head and put it back in there by myself. Yeah....ive been working out.....still skinny though....

I had to take a 20 minute shower after that. Gear oil and 37 years of dirt and clutch dust equals one stinky sweaty dude.

It doesn't take 37 years to get absolutely slimey. Dunno how long Big Blue's T19 has been in, but it is a mess. I think I'm going to power wash it as well as the t-case - on low pressure.

Anyway, glad you got it back together.

It doesn't take 37 years to get absolutely slimey. Dunno how long Big Blue's T19 has been in, but it is a mess. I think I'm going to power wash it as well as the t-case - on low pressure.

Anyway, glad you got it back together.

Yes, that is true.

After I get off work in a few, I am heading home to get the blue truck finished up. Cant wait to see how that clutch performs.

I am hoping I can make some tire smoke.

Yes, that is true.

After I get off work in a few, I am heading home to get the blue truck finished up. Cant wait to see how that clutch performs.

I am hoping I can make some tire smoke.

Don't beat or baby the clutch too much (out of the gate)

It needs to bed in and go through some heat cycles before it's 100%

Just like new brake pads

If you cook it, glaze it or tear it up you'll be doing it again... soon

Don't beat or baby the clutch too much (out of the gate)

It needs to bed in and go through some heat cycles before it's 100%

Just like new brake pads

If you cook it, glaze it or tear it up you'll be doing it again... soon

Jim, ive taken it on a few trips around the neighborhood. Just a couple of hard accelerations to test 3rd gear. The last clutch was slipping very bad in 3rd anything past 1/3rd throttle.

So far Ive noticed there is plenty of grip. Its much harder to slip the clutch for 1st gear starts. In fact, I am a little worried. There is very little pedal travel from decoupled to fully engaged.

So, the only adjustmust in the mechanical clutch is the pushrod at the fork I believe. Should the pushrod be putting pressure on the fork at all times? I would think that would cause the throwout bearing to be continuously moving, is that a bad thing?

So, the old clutch would engage at the last inch of pedal release. Now, the new clutch engages at the first inch of release. I now have to push the clutch lever all the way to the floorboard to get it to release. Is the normal? Im not sure I like it. It is difficult to slip the clutch for clean smooth takeoffs.

Jim, ive taken it on a few trips around the neighborhood. Just a couple of hard accelerations to test 3rd gear. The last clutch was slipping very bad in 3rd anything past 1/3rd throttle.

So far Ive noticed there is plenty of grip. Its much harder to slip the clutch for 1st gear starts. In fact, I am a little worried. There is very little pedal travel from decoupled to fully engaged.

So, the only adjustmust in the mechanical clutch is the pushrod at the fork I believe. Should the pushrod be putting pressure on the fork at all times? I would think that would cause the throwout bearing to be continuously moving, is that a bad thing?

So, the old clutch would engage at the last inch of pedal release. Now, the new clutch engages at the first inch of release. I now have to push the clutch lever all the way to the floorboard to get it to release. Is the normal? Im not sure I like it. It is difficult to slip the clutch for clean smooth takeoffs.

Ray, I can't say about a mechanical clutch.

With hydraulic there is a spring inside the slave that keeps slight pressure on the throwout all the time.

Yes, it is better for a bearing to be constantly spinning than accelerating from 0-3,000 (or whatever your shift point) and back to zero all the time.

The feel will get better and the sweet spot wider as the friction disc beds in.