Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

Hmmmm...now I have a lifter ticking.

Can you put new lifters on an old cam?

Anyway, I will pull valve cover and make sure the rockers are adjusted properly.

I hope I didnt screw something up somehow.

Did you pull the lifters? If so, did you make sure they went back on the same lobe? You can't mix and match.

Did you pull the lifters? If so, did you make sure they went back on the same lobe? You can't mix and match.

No internals were touched. Do I have to use a new cam with new lifters? I cant just throw in some new lifters with some assembly lube and go?

No internals were touched. Do I have to use a new cam with new lifters? I cant just throw in some new lifters with some assembly lube and go?

I believe you can use new lifters on an old cam. However you need to make sure the cam isn't bad.

But sometimes an exhaust leak can sound like a a ticking lifter.

I believe you can use new lifters on an old cam. However you need to make sure the cam isn't bad.But sometimes an exhaust leak can sound like a a ticking lifter.
Its open headers. So, its pretty loud. However, when you give it a little rev and hold it steady, sound like a tick or knock.

On Mon, May 27, 2019, 6:36 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Its open headers. So, its pretty loud. However, when you give it a little

rev and hold it steady, sound like a tick or knock.

On Mon, May 27, 2019, 6:36 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <

ml+s12971n28582h73@.nabble> wrote:

> I believe you can use new lifters on an old cam. However you need to make

> sure the cam isn't bad.

>

> But sometimes an exhaust leak can sound like a a ticking lifter.

> *Dad's:* '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked

> 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar

> clutches

> *Blue:* 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a

> 3.5L EB & Max Tow

> *Big Blue:* 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front &

> 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in bac, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

>

>

> ------------------------------

> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion

> below:

> http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Little-Blue-82-tp25913p28582.html

> To start a new topic under Bullnose Enthusiasts, email

> ml+s12971n1h62@.nabble

> To unsubscribe from Little Blue 82, click here

> <http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=25913&code=cmF5LmNlY2lsLjNAZ21haWwuY29tfDI1OTEzfDM0MjM0NTc2Ng==>

> .

> NAML

> <http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

>

I would not go too crazy replacing lifters just yet.

Put an exh system on that open header so you can hear just what is going on.

Headers are known to leak all the time and yes it will sound like a bad lifter.

BTW stock up on header gaskets you will need them LOL

Dave ----

Its open headers. So, its pretty loud. However, when you give it a little

rev and hold it steady, sound like a tick or knock.

On Mon, May 27, 2019, 6:36 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <

ml+s12971n28582h73@.nabble> wrote:

> I believe you can use new lifters on an old cam. However you need to make

> sure the cam isn't bad.

>

> But sometimes an exhaust leak can sound like a a ticking lifter.

> *Dad's:* '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked

> 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar

> clutches

> *Blue:* 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a

> 3.5L EB & Max Tow

> *Big Blue:* 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front &

> 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in bac, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

>

>

> ------------------------------

> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion

> below:

> http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Little-Blue-82-tp25913p28582.html

> To start a new topic under Bullnose Enthusiasts, email

> ml+s12971n1h62@.nabble

> To unsubscribe from Little Blue 82, click here

> <http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=25913&code=cmF5LmNlY2lsLjNAZ21haWwuY29tfDI1OTEzfDM0MjM0NTc2Ng==>

> .

> NAML

> <http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

>

I would not go too crazy replacing lifters just yet.

Put an exh system on that open header so you can hear just what is going on.

Headers are known to leak all the time and yes it will sound like a bad lifter.

BTW stock up on header gaskets you will need them LOL

Dave ----

I was working on that tonight. Removed the existing cat, muffler and pipes. I had just cut enough of the exhaust to get the header in.

A friend last year has bought a 2.5" x pipe, and the next day his wife totalled the car. Ive had this x pipe sitting in my garage waiting. So, I am running some short pipes from the collector flanges to this x pipe. Then some short glasspacks, 90 deg turns out the side in front of rear tire.

I was working on that tonight. Removed the existing cat, muffler and pipes. I had just cut enough of the exhaust to get the header in.

A friend last year has bought a 2.5" x pipe, and the next day his wife totalled the car. Ive had this x pipe sitting in my garage waiting. So, I am running some short pipes from the collector flanges to this x pipe. Then some short glasspacks, 90 deg turns out the side in front of rear tire.

I grew up with glass packs. But, perhaps because of my antiquated status, I don't like them any more. Big Blue has them - for a while. But when he has a trailer in tow the bark is quite sharp and everyone turns to look - and not in an admiring way. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I grew up with glass packs. But, perhaps because of my antiquated status, I don't like them any more. Big Blue has them - for a while. But when he has a trailer in tow the bark is quite sharp and everyone turns to look - and not in an admiring way. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Gary, HA! You old dinosaur!!

I understand though. If I get annoyed with it, I will change it. But the chevy is stock and quiet as a mouse, I need something to make me fit in out here. Seriously, the guy 2 doors down has about 25 trucks sitting in his yard. Open headers on half of them, mud pulls an 1/8th mile mud pit in his back acreage. Beers and bikinis once a year. MURICA!

:nabble_smiley_happy: