Bullnose Forums

Little Blue 82

Looking good Ray!

It looks better in the pics than real life. The truck needs a lot of cleaning, paint, freshing up.

Do you guys know what kind of shims the factory used on the fenders and doors? This truck has some kind of weird shim, its like a heavy duty cardboard or something. I think the previous owner replaced the passenger door and possibly the fender at some point. The door for sure, it is black under the door panel. The drivers side was blue under the panel.

Looking good Ray!

It looks better in the pics than real life. The truck needs a lot of cleaning, paint, freshing up.

Do you guys know what kind of shims the factory used on the fenders and doors? This truck has some kind of weird shim, its like a heavy duty cardboard or something. I think the previous owner replaced the passenger door and possibly the fender at some point. The door for sure, it is black under the door panel. The drivers side was blue under the panel.

I did not find or seen posted of shims for the doors as you should have more then enough adjustment between the door post to hinge (front/back & up/down) and the door to hinge (up/down & in/out).

Now that fender shim up by the cowl, don't you love it!

It is some type of pressed board and over the years when pulled they fall apart.

I was able to save enough to make a pattern. I took this pattern and used it to make new shims using 12"x12"floor tiles. It is a flex-able type tile like you would find on a store floor but hard to compress.

I made a bunch but I found when fitting the fenders and tightening them down they would fall apart when removed to add/remove shims to get the fender lines right. Once I knew how many was needed on each side I made that amount and installed them.

I am happy with them so far but truck is not on the road yet.

I would say the door with the black under the panel has been replace as there is no need to paint there as it gets covered up like you found.

Dave ----

Looking good Ray!

I did not find or seen posted of shims for the doors as you should have more then enough adjustment between the door post to hinge (front/back & up/down) and the door to hinge (up/down & in/out).

Now that fender shim up by the cowl, don't you love it!

It is some type of pressed board and over the years when pulled they fall apart.

I was able to save enough to make a pattern. I took this pattern and used it to make new shims using 12"x12"floor tiles. It is a flex-able type tile like you would find on a store floor but hard to compress.

I made a bunch but I found when fitting the fenders and tightening them down they would fall apart when removed to add/remove shims to get the fender lines right. Once I knew how many was needed on each side I made that amount and installed them.

I am happy with them so far but truck is not on the road yet.

I would say the door with the black under the panel has been replace as there is no need to paint there as it gets covered up like you found.

Dave ----

Oh forgot looking good.

On the motor paint I went Ford blue because I did not know what color it should have been till after it was painted.

Myself I like the blue over the gray.

It may have something to do with seeing and painting gray floors for 15 years, engineering at a hospital.

Dave ----

Oh forgot looking good.

On the motor paint I went Ford blue because I did not know what color it should have been till after it was painted.

Myself I like the blue over the gray.

It may have something to do with seeing and painting gray floors for 15 years, engineering at a hospital.

Dave ----

20190428_174950.jpg.5acb56429544228a42c302d928559246.jpg

Did a little detailing today with some 303. Sure restores the plastics a lot. It helps get the dirt out of it too.

20190428_120925.jpg.433a2dbc3283aa69ba2842857961635a.jpg

Found a nice wire harness at Rural King today. This has a 40A 12VDC relay, 40A fuse, kill switch all nicely qired up together. This will run the HEI. The kill switch will be run and hidden somewhere my wife cant fi d, so she cannot drive the truck.:nabble_smiley_evil:

Did a little detailing today with some 303. Sure restores the plastics a lot. It helps get the dirt out of it too.

Found a nice wire harness at Rural King today. This has a 40A 12VDC relay, 40A fuse, kill switch all nicely qired up together. This will run the HEI. The kill switch will be run and hidden somewhere my wife cant fi d, so she cannot drive the truck.:nabble_smiley_evil:

20190428_121557.jpg.71acf39d6f699c6143dfa5e64e75dc04.jpg

Here is that funny shim. Why not use steel? Man Ford was trying to save pennies eh?

20190428_163334.jpg.d97a82c2e932a536a93e1a7a7838b67c.jpg

Just a fun pic, from the loft.

Here is that funny shim. Why not use steel? Man Ford was trying to save pennies eh?

Just a fun pic, from the loft.

Also, today ordered the brake booster with master cylinder, belts, and a new front bumper. Previous owner hit a deer and did some damage.....maybe he said his mom hit a deer. I cant remember.

Ok, back from Branson. And Ray, you are making good progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

At this rate, maybe I will make it to the show in September....

I thought about that kill switch....what if I leave it on? Will it drain the battery? Heck with it. I ran the wiring to the coil wire to trigger the relay. Problem solved.

Ok, back from Branson. And Ray, you are making good progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good to see someone has some steam, I have lost a little and just cant get back in the garage :nabble_smiley_cry:

Did I ask why the HEI dist.? The one you have would work just fine.

On the shim. All you can find are the small square ones used on mostly GM cars or front ends to get caster/camber back to speck.

I felt they would not give enough support like the long ones Ford used.

They also tend to rust and did not want that under my hood.

Keep going doing good

Dave ----

Did I ask why the HEI dist.? The one you have would work just fine.

Its easy, cleaner looking, 1-wire, and I have chevy blood...:nabble_smiley_wink:. The stock dizzy had a bunch of wires coming out of it. I don' t need them, because I removed that computer thingy, californication smog doodads etc. I was under the impression that computer doodad thingy that seems totally unnecessary, was controlling timing somehow. Was it not? If not, then I am really confused as to what the heck that yellow grommited pooter is for...:nabble_anim_confused: