Bullnose Forums

dash/instrument illumination

Troy

We put in a resistor to put enough load on the rheostat to drop the voltage and, therefore, dim the LED's. But, David found that wasn't needed as he liked the lighting on high, so when I did Big Blue I didn't bother and the lighting is fine. I'll show you one of these days.

Yes that's all i would be happy with that it is a lot brighter then with the standard globes and yes I have ordered as well

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We put in a resistor to put enough load on the rheostat to drop the voltage and, therefore, dim the LED's. But, David found that wasn't needed as he liked the lighting on high, so when I did Big Blue I didn't bother and the lighting is fine. I'll show you one of these days.

Be mindful that if you have an idiot light instrument cluster the charge indicator lamp needs to be bridged by a resistor because an led will not pass enough current to excite the alternator.

Iirc the value is ~500 ohms (512 in the schematic I've seen)

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I didn't see it.

Will do just waiting for Amazon to send them to me

I just did all the lights behind my gauges this week with THESE LED's. I ordered more to do signal indicators and other lights at the top.

Also coming in are THESE Red LED bulbs to match my interior lighting. They'll go in the Cigarette light and the light by the wiper/headlight knob.

I'll try to get a picture tonight of the instrument panel and post it.

I just did all the lights behind my gauges this week with THESE LED's. I ordered more to do signal indicators and other lights at the top.

Also coming in are THESE Red LED bulbs to match my interior lighting. They'll go in the Cigarette light and the light by the wiper/headlight knob.

I'll try to get a picture tonight of the instrument panel and post it.

As long as you leave the incandescent bulbs in for the exterior lights the LED’s inside for the indicators will work fine. But it takes a significant current load to make most flashers work, so if you replace the exterior bulbs with LED’s you’ll have to go to the electronic or HD flasher.

As long as you leave the incandescent bulbs in for the exterior lights the LED’s inside for the indicators will work fine. But it takes a significant current load to make most flashers work, so if you replace the exterior bulbs with LED’s you’ll have to go to the electronic or HD flasher.

Oz Econoline -

The original blue filters are D9AZ-10B870-A, the later model green filters are E5SZ-10B870-A.

Thanks Myrl883 but don't you take out the filters if you are putting in the LED globes?

I’m not sure the bigger, brighter LED’s will fit under the filters, but they might. However, I wouldn’t use a filter with anything but a white LED. And since the LED’s are available in a range of colors, unless you want the specific color the filter gives you should be able to get close with just the LED.