Bullnose Forums

Door seal

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jarek - It takes a while for the seals to give a bit and the door to be easier to close. But you can make it easier by adjusting the door striker bolt outward just a bit so the door doesn't go as far in. And then, when the seals soften/give you can re-adjust the striker bolt back to where the door is flush with the body.

The correct fix is a lot of work...

The door needs to be aligned to the cab & seals to prevent the new seals being cut by being pinched too tightly between the door & cab. That in itself is a complicated procedure, described here.

But just getting to the bolts to adjust the door requires removing the fenders, which will need to be aligned to the door afterward. Then the wiper valance & hood need to be aligned to the fenders. This caption has a quick rundown of the whole process:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/935112/thumbnail/14bodycheck.jpg

The last step is to reset the courtesy light switches, and then close the doors to adjust them:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/161326/thumbnail/door-sw-1.jpg

I installed a full kit on my truck (FAIRCHILD KF100613 Belt, Channel, Seal Kit).

After the install, it was very hard to close the door. Had to slam it closed. I was almost going to adjust the striker....then thought I would give it some time. Closes fine now with no adjustment.

• 5 months later...

I installed a full kit on my truck (FAIRCHILD KF100613 Belt, Channel, Seal Kit).

After the install, it was very hard to close the door. Had to slam it closed. I was almost going to adjust the striker....then thought I would give it some time. Closes fine now with no adjustment.

How’s that Fairchild kit holding up so far? I’m thinking of going with that kit.

How’s that Fairchild kit holding up so far? I’m thinking of going with that kit.

It better hold up pretty good as mine came in last Saturday, have not even opened the box.

I went with that kit based on Cory's word of being good for the vent window seals and the rest not looking bad.

It will be a week or 3 before I get to installing any of it as I have other stuff to work on.

Dave ----

I went with that kit based on Cory's word of being good for the vent window seals and the rest not looking bad.

Ya, so far I have only installed the vent window seals, and the wiper/seal that is attached to the top of the plastic door panel. The only thing with the vent window seals is that you may have to cut and trim a couple little spots here and there. They look like they're shipped right out of the mold, so some minor trimming may be required. It's nothing really. I thought they fit pretty well once installed.

The correct fix is a lot of work...

The door needs to be aligned to the cab & seals to prevent the new seals being cut by being pinched too tightly between the door & cab. That in itself is a complicated procedure, described here.

But just getting to the bolts to adjust the door requires removing the fenders, which will need to be aligned to the door afterward. Then the wiper valance & hood need to be aligned to the fenders. This caption has a quick rundown of the whole process:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/935112/thumbnail/14bodycheck.jpg

The last step is to reset the courtesy light switches, and then close the doors to adjust them:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/161326/thumbnail/door-sw-1.jpg

I have removed and reinstalled doors on a Bullnose without removing the fender. So this is not true at all.

The problem with the doors not shutting easy is the weatherstrip. Frankly, they're not made correctly and that means the material as well. It is true it will become easier, but it is the weatherstrips fault. if it was OEM new weatherstrip it would shut fine. I do as Gary said most times, and not just on these trucks. It doesn't take much to move the striker a scoosh :)