Bullnose Forums

type of brake booster

My booster switched from a gentle hiss to sounding like a honking goose....so I'm looking at auto zone/parts stores for a MC and booster assembly ( i think it was leaking a bit anyway) . My truck is 7300 lbs. It seems i have 2 choices, single piston caliper or dual piston caliper. Can i use either, and the dual is more powerful? How do i know what i currently have? Recommendations as to brands? Do i have to worry about new foreign built vs rebuilding my old one? Id sorta rather just have new and clean assuming its not low quality. Thanks.

The different brake boosters used different brake pedals. The pin is in different positions relative to the pivot point. The lighter trucks had a larger diameter flat booster, the heavier ones had a smaller diameter but deeper booster. You need to buy the correct one for your truck that matches the pedal you have.

The different brake boosters used different brake pedals. The pin is in different positions relative to the pivot point. The lighter trucks had a larger diameter flat booster, the heavier ones had a smaller diameter but deeper booster. You need to buy the correct one for your truck that matches the pedal you have.

i get that regarding the physical size of the booster (thats the <8500 lbs or >8500 lbs), but i still have 2 options for me to choose from for my truck (under 8500). a single or dual piston caliper MC and booster assembly....

advance auto parts is saying theirs are remanufactured? is that better?

i get that regarding the physical size of the booster (thats the <8500 lbs or >8500 lbs), but i still have 2 options for me to choose from for my truck (under 8500). a single or dual piston caliper MC and booster assembly....

advance auto parts is saying theirs are remanufactured? is that better?

id also be hesitant to get a 20-30 year old booster out of a junk yard as its likely to be in the condition mines in. Are there any good new brands that you know of?

id also be hesitant to get a 20-30 year old booster out of a junk yard as its likely to be in the condition mines in.
There were many significant advancements in design & materials during the ~16 years between your booster & the last one that's a direct-fit for it. A '92-97 booster is likely to be in far better condition, with many miles left to go on it. I'm using them on 3 of my trucks right now; 2 as original parts, and 1 as a junkyard upgrade.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/144063/thumbnail/engine-bay.jpg

Are there any good new brands that you know of?
MotorCraft, but IDK if they still offer those boosters.

Our page here (Driveline/Brakes and the booster tab) shows your truck as taking E0TZ 2005-A, whether it is single or dual-piston. At least, that's the way I read it.

So, what I do is take the part number and Google it. I've been able to significantly reduce the price as well as get quick shipment that way with just a little effort. And that way I don't have to trust the seller's understanding of what part fits what truck.

For instance, recently I bought engine mounts that Amazon wanted $50+ for and said they won't fit. But I got them for less than $10 elsewhere and knew they'd fit because the part number was correct.

Here's the listing from the page in the link above. See if you agree with my assessment of what the part number is - before you order.

master-cylinder-application-2.thumb.jpg.fed2744a28612c1b7002202a76a70408.jpgmaster-cylinder-application-3.thumb.jpg.48ce86b284de22d435b91f928d77c1ed.jpg

Our page here (Driveline/Brakes and the booster tab) shows your truck as taking E0TZ 2005-A, whether it is single or dual-piston. At least, that's the way I read it.

So, what I do is take the part number and Google it. I've been able to significantly reduce the price as well as get quick shipment that way with just a little effort. And that way I don't have to trust the seller's understanding of what part fits what truck.

For instance, recently I bought engine mounts that Amazon wanted $50+ for and said they won't fit. But I got them for less than $10 elsewhere and knew they'd fit because the part number was correct.

Here's the listing from the page in the link above. See if you agree with my assessment of what the part number is - before you order.

master-cylinder-application-2.jpgmaster-cylinder-application-3.jpg

Gary, you may be a little miss leading and right on the part number(s) as that is for the booster ONLY.

The OP is saying the zone, I have not had any issues with AZ parts, lists 2 different part numbers: duel calipers (different master?) or single caliper (a 2nd different master) but both may use the same booster.

To the OP you will need to pull a front wheel and see what calipers your truck has as it is the only way to know for sure before buying the booster w/master when they ask single or duel calipers.

Dave ----

master-cylinder-application-2.jpgmaster-cylinder-application-3.jpg

Gary, you may be a little miss leading and right on the part number(s) as that is for the booster ONLY.

The OP is saying the zone, I have not had any issues with AZ parts, lists 2 different part numbers: duel calipers (different master?) or single caliper (a 2nd different master) but both may use the same booster.

To the OP you will need to pull a front wheel and see what calipers your truck has as it is the only way to know for sure before buying the booster w/master when they ask single or duel calipers.

Dave ----

Dave - Thanks for correcting me! I forgot that he was also looking at a master cylinder. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Dave - Thanks for correcting me! I forgot that he was also looking at a master cylinder. :nabble_smiley_blush:

thank you for the replies everyone. So it sounds like a dual piston caliper master cylinder would simply be more powerful as it had to operate two calipers versus one? And so if the choice is up to me I would just assume having a more powerful master cylinder. Does that seem like a safe assessment ?