Bullnose Forums

Thoughts on original vs custom?

Curious about what you guys think when it comes to customizing these trucks. I know this is a highly opinionated question and I would expect opinionated answers! When it comes to customizing these trucks do you guys like to keep it mostly (or entirely) original? For example I have thought about using bedliner on the entire exterior, but not a rough textured look, more like a smoothed out paint code matched matte finish with bedliner. It will be a while before I do anything major like this, but again I am just looking for some thoughts/opinions. I even thought about fabbing up a flat bed like the one in the picture below. I love the flatbed look on certain trucks, but I just do not know how it would look on these bullnose trucks, especially a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive.

download.thumb.jpg.49b86afa63b428831847058dc622bc7c.jpg

I'll admit, for whatever it's worth, that 9.99 times outa 10 I prefer original and stock. One of the few examples of customization that i like (that comes to mind) would be running lights (they aren't visible/change the look) but at night when lit, they look awful purty. On my truck, ill redo my bench seat in the future, and ill admit that the original patterned fabric doesn't really appeal to me - in that case i may pick an "era appropriate" style/ pattern, but that i like more than the original.

....i know, i know, i'm a wild a crazy guy :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I think there are Bullnose trucks that deserve to be kept stock, like Paul's, and Bullnose trucks that beg to be customized. Dad's truck will be far from stock, but may look stock to a Chevy guy. Big Blue will look more stock but with EFI on a 460 and a ZF5, both of which came out years later, still won't be.

So, it is the owner's opinion that counts. But, I'm not sure I'd like bed liner on the outside. I'd have to see some pics in order to really decide, but it doesn't sound good at first blush.

But the flatbed I think I'd like. Especially if you got a girl to drive it. In Winslow. (I've been on that corner a couple of times. There's a red flatbed Ford there.)

I've never found any practical advantage to "keeping it stock" on such a common, inexpensive, utilitarian vehicle as an 80s pickup truck. Sure, there are vehicles that it pays on, like Corvettes, Mustangs, & XK-Es; but no one is going to care or pay you a penny extra for an "all-original" '84 F150 vs. a sensibly-customized well-maintained '84 F150. For me, the more modern systems an antique truck has, the more valuable it is.

From 20' away, my Bronco can be mistaken for "stock" (other than the bumpers) even by those who KNOW Broncos. But it's pretty far from stock, by any standard, and getting farther every day.

My philosophy has always been: start with the closest you can buy to what you need, and then build it into exactly what you need. I need reliable transportation over many terrains hauling & towing with as much comfort as I can get working or playing, so that's what I built. My friends who buy new (or relatively-new used) vehicles every few years give me hell about driving the same vehicle I had in college; but when they need real help, they ask me to bring the old Bronco.

So think hard about what you NEED your truck to do. If you need it to sit in a museum so people can see how these trucks looked when they were new, keep it stock. If you need to drive or work it...

One question to ask yourself if you are on the fence is can you put it back the way it was if you wanted to? Things like wheels/tires, or a flatbed are relatively easy to edit undo if you keep the old parts. Aftermarket sun roof or hood scoop would be a lot trickier.... and I would say spraying bed liner all over it falls into that category. It is not impossible, but extremely difficult to remove if you ever change your mind.

Curious about what you guys think when it comes to customizing these trucks. I know this is a highly opinionated question and I would expect opinionated answers! When it comes to customizing these trucks do you guys like to keep it mostly (or entirely) original?

I like them customized, but within reason. Re-sale is always a big consideration for me. There's a good chance I will sell my truck later on and buy something different, and that is always in the back of my mind.

I have looked at lots of vehicles for sale over the years, and I've walked away from many of them because undoing the previous mods that I disliked was just going to be too much work and/money. I've also seen vehicles for sale for years and years because they were painted electric lime green or Highlighter yellow.

The problem in my area is the rust, and now, the condition of most of these trucks, my own included, is crusty enough that they're not in good enough condition to keep them original. If I somehow found an all original rust free Bullnose tomorrow...and it was still in factory original condition, then I would keep that truck all original, with the exception of throwing a nice set of wheels and tires on it.

I personally like factory original paint colors, or colors that look factory and don't stand out too much. I was looking at a Bullnose on Craigslist the other day that was all painted up in John Deere green and yellow....everything from the engine block and oil pan to the door panels. To me that really limits the resale of that truck. I personally wouldn't buy it...even if it was free...and delivered to my door...I just couldn't have it.

Bedliner on the exterior is something I have a higher tolerance for. It's not my thing personally, but I'd buy a bedlinered truck before I'd buy one that was painted up like a John Deere. Usually by the time bedliner goes on them, they're well past the point of ever being returned to anything original. I see it as a protective layer added to a vehicle that is still being used and abused (with love).

Curious about what you guys think when it comes to customizing these trucks. I know this is a highly opinionated question and I would expect opinionated answers! When it comes to customizing these trucks do you guys like to keep it mostly (or entirely) original?

I like them customized, but within reason. Re-sale is always a big consideration for me. There's a good chance I will sell my truck later on and buy something different, and that is always in the back of my mind.

I have looked at lots of vehicles for sale over the years, and I've walked away from many of them because undoing the previous mods that I disliked was just going to be too much work and/money. I've also seen vehicles for sale for years and years because they were painted electric lime green or Highlighter yellow.

The problem in my area is the rust, and now, the condition of most of these trucks, my own included, is crusty enough that they're not in good enough condition to keep them original. If I somehow found an all original rust free Bullnose tomorrow...and it was still in factory original condition, then I would keep that truck all original, with the exception of throwing a nice set of wheels and tires on it.

I personally like factory original paint colors, or colors that look factory and don't stand out too much. I was looking at a Bullnose on Craigslist the other day that was all painted up in John Deere green and yellow....everything from the engine block and oil pan to the door panels. To me that really limits the resale of that truck. I personally wouldn't buy it...even if it was free...and delivered to my door...I just couldn't have it.

Bedliner on the exterior is something I have a higher tolerance for. It's not my thing personally, but I'd buy a bedlinered truck before I'd buy one that was painted up like a John Deere. Usually by the time bedliner goes on them, they're well past the point of ever being returned to anything original. I see it as a protective layer added to a vehicle that is still being used and abused (with love).

I would never touch a bed liner truck.... especially if it was a home made job. To me they just look like a dog that rolled in 💩 and it is so much work to remove that you might as well just buy a different body. I understand why people do it, I guess I would just rather look at scratches and chips and 4x4 patina than bed liner. How’s that for some honesty 😜. Not that I recommend against it if that’s what the owner likes and wants, but it will narrow your resale market if that matters to you.

There have been good answers or opinions posted so far and here is my opinion.

I am not into the bed lined or flat black trucks but would buy (and did) a flat black over bed lined any day.

As said I would not even look at a lined truck but I also see why some do it like running thru the woods but how many do that?

I do like seeing a good looking all stock truck as you don't see many around any more, they show they are loved. Most are now flat black, bed lined or look like they are driving to the junk yard.

As for me it depends on what I will be using the car or truck for.

On a car project (70 AMC Javelin) I have made a custom dash overlay out of real silver carbon fiber.

Base model had a engine turned silver overlay, car is not a base model, so first look it looks stock.

I also installed custom gauges where all the stock gauges were. Again a quick look you would say stock but the 160 PMH speedo a 4 gauge cluster where warning lights were an 8K tack where the clock was and the gauges printed with "AMC or Javelin" is not stock.

I have also added a T5 5speed trany in place of the factory 4 sp, again hard to tell when you look at it quickly.

On the out side I am doing flush mounted front & rear glass, a different year rear deck spoiler, looks like the right year but stands up more, and will have after market wheels.

On my 81 F100 flare side again little things you may not pick up on.

The big one is the style side metal bed floor in place of the factory wood floor.

Added the duel rear tank and molded the filler door into the rear fender to look factory stock. Even the dash switch is factory stock looking.

I am in the middle of adding driving / fog lights into the front bumper, not above or below it but in it.

I have already made the front & rear bumpers "floating" as they do not show bumper bolts from the outside. It will also have aftermarket wheels.

Would I like to do a CV frame or front end swap on the truck? Yes I would but then I don't think the truck would be as useable as it will be now. It will be used to make dump runs and pull a trailer when needed. I just want a nice looking driver that I would not mind taking to a show or 2 when done.

So as said build it as you see fit to do what you need it to do. If that is factory stock or add a little custom touch or a full out custom build go for it. It is yours so build it your way.

Dave ----

I've never found any practical advantage to "keeping it stock" on such a common, inexpensive, utilitarian vehicle as an 80s pickup truck. Sure, there are vehicles that it pays on, like Corvettes, Mustangs, & XK-Es; but no one is going to care or pay you a penny extra for an "all-original" '84 F150 vs. a sensibly-customized well-maintained '84 F150. For me, the more modern systems an antique truck has, the more valuable it is.

From 20' away, my Bronco can be mistaken for "stock" (other than the bumpers) even by those who KNOW Broncos. But it's pretty far from stock, by any standard, and getting farther every day.

My philosophy has always been: start with the closest you can buy to what you need, and then build it into exactly what you need. I need reliable transportation over many terrains hauling & towing with as much comfort as I can get working or playing, so that's what I built. My friends who buy new (or relatively-new used) vehicles every few years give me hell about driving the same vehicle I had in college; but when they need real help, they ask me to bring the old Bronco.

So think hard about what you NEED your truck to do. If you need it to sit in a museum so people can see how these trucks looked when they were new, keep it stock. If you need to drive or work it...

I learned with my 1980 that although original is nice, it's just not as fun as custom. There will always be a part of me that loves clean, all original trucks. However, making them your own is what sets them apart from all of the other trucks out there. I get more complements on my Ranger with it modified than I ever did when it was stock. It's different, there isn't another one like it in town, and it definitely turns heads. Not only that, but it's built the way I want, and this new bullnose of mine will be the same way.