Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

Not a problem, but a sign. This thing has been apart. I don't know, yet, if the engine was out or if the tranny was out. Or both. But one bolt in the bell housing was backed off 1/2", one bolt left out of the lifting eye, and several tabs are broken on the wiring harness.

Well, I found a crack in the E4OD's case today, as shown below. And, oddly enough, I think it has helped me make my mind up on where to have the tranny built. I believe I'll go with Charley at Aspen. I called him and he said the cracked case is only cosmetic. However, he remembered our discussion and said that if he was doing a truck like I am he wouldn't want to use that case. But, for $100 he has other cases.

In addition, he said that my '90 case isn't compatible with the reusable gasket. But, he has later cases that are compatible with it, so he will use one of those. And, he has later pans that have a drain plug.

My guess is that Steve, the teacher, doesn't have the spare cases. And I know he doesn't have a pan with a drain plug as he said so. Given that, I think I need to go with Charles.

And, the plan is to take it down to him on Friday. He said that the best way to transport one is by plopping it on an old tire, so I've contacted the local tire shop and will pick one of those up tomorrow when I'm out to ship Darin/Oz's crossmember "down under". Then, all I have to do is to figure out how to get the tranny from the middle of the shop out to Big Blue in the driveway - with Huck sitting on the floor 'twixt the lift uprights. I may have to drop the cab back down and then pick the whole thing up so's I can roll the shop crane under it.

Anyway, one step back and two forwards still gets you there eventually. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Cracked_Case.thumb.jpg.e31b0d368834733a9708f9cd05372680.jpg

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I found a crack in the E4OD's case today, as shown below. And, oddly enough, I think it has helped me make my mind up on where to have the tranny built. I believe I'll go with Charley at Aspen. I called him and he said the cracked case is only cosmetic. However, he remembered our discussion and said that if he was doing a truck like I am he wouldn't want to use that case. But, for $100 he has other cases.

In addition, he said that my '90 case isn't compatible with the reusable gasket. But, he has later cases that are compatible with it, so he will use one of those. And, he has later pans that have a drain plug.

My guess is that Steve, the teacher, doesn't have the spare cases. And I know he doesn't have a pan with a drain plug as he said so. Given that, I think I need to go with Charles.

And, the plan is to take it down to him on Friday. He said that the best way to transport one is by plopping it on an old tire, so I've contacted the local tire shop and will pick one of those up tomorrow when I'm out to ship Darin/Oz's crossmember "down under". Then, all I have to do is to figure out how to get the tranny from the middle of the shop out to Big Blue in the driveway - with Huck sitting on the floor 'twixt the lift uprights. I may have to drop the cab back down and then pick the whole thing up so's I can roll the shop crane under it.

Anyway, one step back and two forwards still gets you there eventually. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ready for the trip:

DSCN2716.thumb.jpg.8d58313685bc8ad5cc2ebb208241faec.jpg

DSCN2717.thumb.jpg.7bc8e81b9946c73f64d60e40e8d92776.jpg

Ready for the trip:

" Then, all I have to do is to figure out how to get the tranny from the middle of the shop out to Big Blue in the driveway - with Huck sitting on the floor 'twixt the lift uprights. I may have to drop the cab back down and then pick the whole thing up so's I can roll the shop crane under it. "

I usually just pick them up and set them in the back of the truck:nabble_smiley_happy:

" Then, all I have to do is to figure out how to get the tranny from the middle of the shop out to Big Blue in the driveway - with Huck sitting on the floor 'twixt the lift uprights. I may have to drop the cab back down and then pick the whole thing up so's I can roll the shop crane under it. "

I usually just pick them up and set them in the back of the truck:nabble_smiley_happy:

Young whippersnappers! :nabble_smiley_tongue:

There was a day when I may have been able to do that. But, as the guy from Aspen and I discussed, it is quite a lift getting it in the back of a truck, and even more so Big Blue. So, I might have been able to carry it out there, but getting it up into the bed would have been difficult if not impossible at my age.

A great man once said "A man's got to know his limitations." And mine are becoming more and more apparentl. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Young whippersnappers! :nabble_smiley_tongue:

There was a day when I may have been able to do that. But, as the guy from Aspen and I discussed, it is quite a lift getting it in the back of a truck, and even more so Big Blue. So, I might have been able to carry it out there, but getting it up into the bed would have been difficult if not impossible at my age.

A great man once said "A man's got to know his limitations." And mine are becoming more and more apparentl. :nabble_smiley_sad:

The TC has to be matched with your camshaft...

Are you using the old TC or are you getting a case hardened double clutch unit?

Getting a new torque converter. And it is upgraded but I don't know the details yet as we have to settle on them today. I should be able to report back later on them. But, it will be a later case that takes the new reusable gasket as well as a pan with a drain plug. Those details we have settled on.

Gary, keep in mind the E4OD converter is a lockup one, but yes, a relatively low stall speed is probably good considering the low end torque of the 408.

True, Bill. But there will be ample torque to move it, and quickly, w/o spinning the engine up. And keeping the stall speed low minimizes the heating when the torque converter is unlocked.