Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

Well, from what I've just read the Trick Flow pan is not for a 4wd truck. 2wd only. But Dorman supposedly has a steel one for $35 - which is so much less than the $250 or so the others cost that I'm suspicious. Granted it is stamped steel vs cast aluminum, but I sure don't want it to leak.

But now I'm torn. I have a price from Steve for $2200 but I'm pretty sure it is with the existing pan, so I'll have to add $250 or so for an aluminum pan - to ensure it doesn't leak. On the other hand, I have a range of from $1800 to $2600 from Charles, and he said he'll just put a pan on that has a drain plug - apparently from his stash. (And, by the way, apparently the 4R100 pans interchange, so maybe they had drain plugs.) So the prices are pretty much the same.

Steve gives a 1 year warranty and Charles gives a 2 year warranty. But, I would think that 1 year would be enough as if it is going to fail from bad parts it should do so in the first year. And if it holds up a year it should be good to go.

One, Steve, teaches transmission rebuilding and does this on the side and the other, Charles, does this every day as his business.

Thoughts?

Gary my 94 4WD 460 had a drain plug after the dealer upgraded the tranny because the PO had so much trouble with it. (I assume it was a 4R100 pan)

Also had a filter in the cooling lines.

I still had problems with it.

As lebaron said they would get hot, mine did backing in a big travel trailer into a tight spot. It finally started leaking at the front, shut it off and let it cool, and it stopped leaking.

I can't believe we got that trailer in where we did. I told the young couple I was helping there was no way we were getting that trailer in there. She says my Grandpa is helping, he used to be a truck driver!

I saw no way, he saw plenty of room! He got it in there, I just did what he said! :nabble_anim_crazy:

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary my 94 4WD 460 had a drain plug after the dealer upgraded the tranny because the PO had so much trouble with it. (I assume it was a 4R100 pan)

Also had a filter in the cooling lines.

I still had problems with it.

As lebaron said they would get hot, mine did backing in a big travel trailer into a tight spot. It finally started leaking at the front, shut it off and let it cool, and it stopped leaking.

I can't believe we got that trailer in where we did. I told the young couple I was helping there was no way we were getting that trailer in there. She says my Grandpa is helping, he used to be a truck driver!

I saw no way, he saw plenty of room! He got it in there, I just did what he said! :nabble_anim_crazy:

The vent is in the front pump, just above the seal so when it gets overheated it shows up there.

The vent is in the front pump, just above the seal so when it gets overheated it shows up there.

That's what I was told. Also told me to let it cool, and it worked! Other wise I may have panicked! :nabble_smiley_scared:

Just kind of unnerving to see it leak like that

You can see the vent here, and it would certainly make a big mess. My plan is to use the stock 1990 F250HD cooler from Huck on Dad's truck, with the theory that it was sized for the work that truck was designed to do. And since I won't tow with Dad's truck and will, as Bill has suggested, keep the torque converter locked until something like 80% throttle, it should stay nice and cool.

Agree?

Top_of_Tranny.thumb.jpg.418b3ecf4a74638719da97406a2c7fcf.jpg

You can see the vent here, and it would certainly make a big mess. My plan is to use the stock 1990 F250HD cooler from Huck on Dad's truck, with the theory that it was sized for the work that truck was designed to do. And since I won't tow with Dad's truck and will, as Bill has suggested, keep the torque converter locked until something like 80% throttle, it should stay nice and cool.

Agree?

I see your 460 has a lifting eye on the back as well as the front.

Where did my F450 go wrong???

A single 10-24 is good for 300+ lbs.

Is one bolt a problem?

Not a problem, but a sign. This thing has been apart. I don't know, yet, if the engine was out or if the tranny was out. Or both. But one bolt in the bell housing was backed off 1/2", one bolt left out of the lifting eye, and several tabs are broken on the wiring harness.