Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

Grounds the fan relays? I thought so too but haven’t found it. Having said that, I remember something about that feature being in the code, but that it is turned off in some vehicles and there is no wire for that pin/output. So, since the “EVTM” that Ray sent me is specific to trucks it may not show those outputs if they weren’t used. That’s another good reason to map out every pin - when there are gaps maybe I can figure out what goes there.

As for your ‘87 EVTM, I would like to have it. I probably won’t put it up on the site as I’m worried about getting too much content that could cause someone to yell foul. But, it would be a good resource and I could post a clip from it when needed. If you want to send it I’ll scan it and put it back for future use - and send you a copy as well.

Well, it does have diagrams of the latest version of hot fuel handling for the 460 & 351 H.O.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it does have diagrams of the latest version of hot fuel handling for the 460 & 351 H.O.

Very true. Is that different than what is in the ‘86 EVTM?

Back on the EEC controlling the cooling fan, I found this link: https://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2957&start=30. I don’t know how much of the discussion is for EEC-IV or for V, as both are mentioned. But I wanted to capture the link.

Bill - I’ve now had a chance to look through the scans you sent. I didn’t find a headlight switch feed, but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. Or, don’t understand what you mean. Are you saying the headlight switch feeds the computer? I went through the “EVTM” drawings that Ray sent and didn’t find any headlight input to the computer there either.

And, speaking of those “EVTM” drawings, they are a help, Ray. But they aren’t quite the real thing as they leave off the header that would have been on the EVTM’s page that tells you the application. For instance, there are two pages of schematics for the fuel injectors - one is bank-fire and the other sequential. And there’s no indication which is for what engine/application. But, I thank you very much for getting them for me. They are a big help in understanding things, but I’m hoping that Bill’s actual ‘96 EVTM will help even more.

Back to the computer inputs and outputs, I did find an input from the brake switch, which I’ll have to provide. And one from the A/C system, which I assume is to tell it when the clutch is energized. And, I found a knock sensor input - that may be handy.

But I didn’t find an output to cooling fan relays. Doesn’t the computer do that?

I think what I’m going to do is to create a spreadsheet of all of the EEC-V’s inputs and outputs and what I’m going to do with them. And I’ll post that on my EFI For Dad’s Truck “whiteboard” so we can kick it around and finally get it right.

Gary. in the PDC, maxifuse #19 is "headlight switch" and is a dedicated feed through a BK/OR wire directly to the headlight switch connection B1. There is nothing else on that circuit unlike the older trucks.

On the EEC-V controls, any relays, solenoids etc. controlled by the EEC are done by grounding in the EEC. As a result there are several "power ground" pins, 24, 51, 76, 77 & 103 to handle the current needed. Fan control, not on trucks, cars with electric fans use two relays external to the EEC system, one being a high current relay for the high speed fan(s). They are pin 28 for low and 46 for high, A/C high pressure sensor (some diagrams call it a switch, some a pressure sensor) is inputted at pin 41.

Knock sensors, first issue is finding one that will work, second is getting the correct location. Input is pin 57 for KS1 and 32 for KS2 (these are for the Lincoln Continental DOHC 4.6L).

Gary. in the PDC, maxifuse #19 is "headlight switch" and is a dedicated feed through a BK/OR wire directly to the headlight switch connection B1. There is nothing else on that circuit unlike the older trucks.

On the EEC-V controls, any relays, solenoids etc. controlled by the EEC are done by grounding in the EEC. As a result there are several "power ground" pins, 24, 51, 76, 77 & 103 to handle the current needed. Fan control, not on trucks, cars with electric fans use two relays external to the EEC system, one being a high current relay for the high speed fan(s). They are pin 28 for low and 46 for high, A/C high pressure sensor (some diagrams call it a switch, some a pressure sensor) is inputted at pin 41.

Knock sensors, first issue is finding one that will work, second is getting the correct location. Input is pin 57 for KS1 and 32 for KS2 (these are for the Lincoln Continental DOHC 4.6L).

Bill - Thanks for persevering with the Nabble issue.

Ok, there's a headlight feed in the PDC. But, the headlights still run off the switch with no relay? That seems like something that should be changed.

On the cooling fan pins, the link above says that the highspeed output is pin 41, but you say that's A/C clutch. I'm confused, but am sure yours is correct. Perhaps I need to use the engine-driven fan, but if the function is there and works, then why not use it? It will take the relays as you said, but should be pretty easy. Hmmmm....

As for the knock sensors, Ben originally asked if I was going to use that feature. Not sure what I said, but he seemed to be less than enthusiastic about it. Is that because the sensors fail and aren't easily implemented properly?

Anyway, I wish I'd had your info on pin-outs earlier as it would have saved me from creating this one - that turns out to be for EEC-IV? :nabble_smiley_blush: I built this from what Ray sent, but I misunderstood and thought it was EEC-V. However, when I got done I realized that it only goes to Pin 60.

So, is yours something I can post? Or is it proprietary?

EEV-IV_Pinouts.thumb.jpg.a978afb1b94a363371719323766a1ec6.jpg

Ok, there's a headlight feed in the PDC. But, the headlights still run off the switch with no relay? That seems like something that should be changed.

On the cooling fan pins, the link above says that the highspeed output is pin 41, but you say that's A/C clutch. I'm confused, but am sure yours is correct. Perhaps I need to use the engine-driven fan, but if the function is there and works, then why not use it? It will take the relays as you said, but should be pretty easy. Hmmmm....

As for the knock sensors, Ben originally asked if I was going to use that feature. Not sure what I said, but he seemed to be less than enthusiastic about it. Is that because the sensors fail and aren't easily implemented properly?

Anyway, I wish I'd had your info on pin-outs earlier as it would have saved me from creating this one - that turns out to be for EEC-IV? :nabble_smiley_blush: I built this from what Ray sent, but I misunderstood and thought it was EEC-V. However, when I got done I realized that it only goes to Pin 60.

You can post it, I did that one myself from EVTMs and AllData.

Bill - I was looking around for pin-out information and stumbled into info on the Baumann site regarding upgrades they recommend for E4OD's. I've copied it to a new "project" called E4OD Upgrades, and since I'm using that as a "whiteboard" on which to keep score I locked it. Would you take a look at it and let me know what you think on here?

Bill - I was looking around for pin-out information and stumbled into info on the Baumann site regarding upgrades they recommend for E4OD's. I've copied it to a new "project" called E4OD Upgrades, and since I'm using that as a "whiteboard" on which to keep score I locked it. Would you take a look at it and let me know what you think on here?

Yes, all of those, also look at the ATSG manual (available from NAPA) it includes some valve body, front seal and some of the same stuff Baumann is recommending. The reman converters I was getting were the top of the line, Bert Hawkes believed in doing it right the first time and not having come backs from taking shortcuts.

Why change the headlights? Just because Ford's electrical designers for the 1980-86 trucks were probably all at Woodstock is no reason to not use the later system as built. I asked if you wanted me to get some voltage readings on Darth at the battery and right headlight (If I can get to it) since it is the furthest on the harness.

Why change the headlights? Just because Ford's electrical designers for the 1980-86 trucks were probably all at Woodstock is no reason to not use the later system as built. I asked if you wanted me to get some voltage readings on Darth at the battery and right headlight (If I can get to it) since it is the furthest on the harness.

Ahhh! Dawn! Marblehead! Ok, yes I see, said the blind man - blinded by the lack of light from his Bullnose headlights.

Yes, Please take some readings on Darth. I take it you are using the later wiring. But, if there's only one connection to the PDC, how are you handling high vs low beams? I'm still not "getting it".

Ahhh! Dawn! Marblehead! Ok, yes I see, said the blind man - blinded by the lack of light from his Bullnose headlights.

Yes, Please take some readings on Darth. I take it you are using the later wiring. But, if there's only one connection to the PDC, how are you handling high vs low beams? I'm still not "getting it".

The dimmer switch is on the column, it is the later style combination switch hi-lo beam, flash to pass (optical horn) wipers and turn signals. The #19 fuse in the PDC feeds the B1 terminal on the headlight switch this terminal is internally connected only to the H terminal when the headlights are on. The 1986 had the separate infeed, same color wire, but everything there was fed through the ammeter shunt wire off the crack head alternator circuits. This, coupled with the poor grounds on these trucks limited the voltage available under load. Once you have the stuff from Ray in hand you will see the size of the feed from the battery to the PDC, I would imagine the voltage drop from battery to PDC is quite small.

It will be tomorrow as (a) it is getting dark here and (b) 35° out.