Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

Gee, Gary why do you think I said contact them. The collection of EEC-V boxes I have are what he told me to get other than the first one, he sold me that with the rest of the package. Ray seems to be sincere, but I don't think fully understands the advantage of using the OBD-II system, for one thing the EEC is twice as fast and powerful than the EEC-IV units and does a lot more "adaptive tuning". FWIW, a week ago I drove Darth to Pittsville MD, then Salisbury and back to Exmore, then did a dump run later in the week. Filled the rear tank (the one I had been using) and mileage was 12.357 mpg, not too bad for a 6400 lb dual rear wheel truck and maybe 8.0:1 compression. I will send you one of the EEC-V ones so you can start fitting the harness stuff. The operative is 1996 F250 pretty well guarantees an E4OD transmission. BTW, did you blame me for referring you? He will probably jack up the price :nabble_smiley_happy:

Bill - The initial salvo from Core Tuning was "i helped bill out initially, this is Adam." I was guilty by association right off the bat. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Yes, I've been surprised that in a previous conversation Core Tuning was suggesting the EEC-IV. I don't want to go that way. But, I do want to understand why they are saying the '96 F250 is the way to go.

Anyway, if Ray/NotEnoughTrucks' computer is an F6 then the whole harness is 1996, right?

As for Darth, that is good MPG. Big Blue doesn't beat 10 very often.

Last, I'd love to have one of the computers to start looking at. And, by the way, Jim is shipping your core support hardware to me. What color do you want me to PC it?

Ray - It is looking more and more like I'll want your harness, if not the computer. Want to shoot me an email on pricing?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, Gary why do you think I said contact them. The collection of EEC-V boxes I have are what he told me to get other than the first one, he sold me that with the rest of the package. Ray seems to be sincere, but I don't think fully understands the advantage of using the OBD-II system, for one thing the EEC is twice as fast and powerful than the EEC-IV units and does a lot more "adaptive tuning". FWIW, a week ago I drove Darth to Pittsville MD, then Salisbury and back to Exmore, then did a dump run later in the week. Filled the rear tank (the one I had been using) and mileage was 12.357 mpg, not too bad for a 6400 lb dual rear wheel truck and maybe 8.0:1 compression. I will send you one of the EEC-V ones so you can start fitting the harness stuff. The operative is 1996 F250 pretty well guarantees an E4OD transmission. BTW, did you blame me for referring you? He will probably jack up the price :nabble_smiley_happy:

Bill, rest assured I am onboard with EECV and OBDII!

Reading Gary's mission statement, it's obvious the only way he will have OBDII support and E4OD will be with an EECV ECM.

Anyways, just to provide a little more evidence of what I have on hand, here is a pic of the door tag from the salvage truck.

MAF_E4OD.jpg.5c1af8a1cdfd135f9d65158359fc0204.jpg

I find Core Tuning suggesting that an F250 ECM be used somewhat puzzling. I don't think an F150 ECM with similar engine/transmission would be electrically different, perhaps some tuning difference, but that is what we hope to address with a custom tune anyways. I think the theory that they wish to ensure the E4OD is supported may be valid.

Gary, I'd be happy to pack it up and ship it your way. I recently sent a partial harness to Virginia Beach VA. Cost was around $31 canuck bucks, or about $25 US. Absolutely no issues shipping via post and it arrived in about 10 days. This package might be a bit bigger, but I think it would still be economical.

If you wish, I could prep the harness somewhat by eliminating the unnecessary circuits, much like the one I described in that email I sent your way. Could save some bulk and weght that way.

Reading Gary's mission statement, it's obvious the only way he will have OBDII support and E4OD will be with an EECV ECM.

Anyways, just to provide a little more evidence of what I have on hand, here is a pic of the door tag from the salvage truck.

I find Core Tuning suggesting that an F250 ECM be used somewhat puzzling. I don't think an F150 ECM with similar engine/transmission would be electrically different, perhaps some tuning difference, but that is what we hope to address with a custom tune anyways. I think the theory that they wish to ensure the E4OD is supported may be valid.

Gary, I'd be happy to pack it up and ship it your way. I recently sent a partial harness to Virginia Beach VA. Cost was around $31 canuck bucks, or about $25 US. Absolutely no issues shipping via post and it arrived in about 10 days. This package might be a bit bigger, but I think it would still be economical.

If you wish, I could prep the harness somewhat by eliminating the unnecessary circuits, much like the one I described in that email I sent your way. Could save some bulk and weght that way.

Bingo! According to this fancy VIN decoder, "T" in the 10th digit means 1996. :nabble_anim_jump: The only issue is that the 5 - 7th digits say F15 and that is a 2wd. But, you did say it was an E4OD - right? Perhaps I just need to run another wire for the driveline harness to bring in the transfer case connection?

Ray - I don't want you to go to the trouble of teasing out all of those other wires - even if you did write the directions. :nabble_smiley_wink: I'm not worried about the little bit of shipping costs.

But, what do you want for the harness and computer? And, what else of that truck do you have, like upper and lower intakes, sensors, fuel rail, etc?

Bingo! According to this fancy VIN decoder, "T" in the 10th digit means 1996. :nabble_anim_jump: The only issue is that the 5 - 7th digits say F15 and that is a 2wd. But, you did say it was an E4OD - right? Perhaps I just need to run another wire for the driveline harness to bring in the transfer case connection?

Ray - I don't want you to go to the trouble of teasing out all of those other wires - even if you did write the directions. :nabble_smiley_wink: I'm not worried about the little bit of shipping costs.

But, what do you want for the harness and computer? And, what else of that truck do you have, like upper and lower intakes, sensors, fuel rail, etc?

Transmission code E is E4OD.

This may help as well.

20171106_212814.jpg.15b9f8df9efe664066c8f0f2ac427ed2.jpg

Sent you an email. Will go dig the harness out of my storage trailer tomorrow.

He is probably suggesting the F250 as the E4OD is more common on the heavier trucks and would be easier to find that way. I already told Gary I have 3 spare 351 w/E4OD EECs (and one actual 460 MAF/SEFI/E4OD one).

He is probably suggesting the F250 as the E4OD is more common on the heavier trucks and would be easier to find that way. I already told Gary I have 3 spare 351 w/E4OD EECs (and one actual 460 MAF/SEFI/E4OD one).

Wow. Those are pretty hard to come by around here.

I'm on the search for an EECV with a manual transmission. Probably going that route on my project. I'm really considering trying a mod motor EECV just so I can also run EDIS. Engine will be a 5.8 roller.

I should add, the truck is long gone. Found it at the local u pull.

Ray - I missed your email before the last post, but have now responded. So, I'll just need the driveline harness, which should connect to both the transmission and transfer case. Cool!

Bill - Looks like I'll have my own EEC-V computer. May talk to you about a spare, but need to talk to Core Tuning to understand the issues, advantages, etc of using this one vs the F250 one.

Transmission code E is E4OD.

This may help as well.

Sent you an email. Will go dig the harness out of my storage trailer tomorrow.

According to my information, TAD4 is for a 5.0L probably with a 4R70W or maybe even a manual, ML1-441 is the hardware code for E4OD. Adam Marrer can probably tell you what the ML1-442 code is for.

According to my information, TAD4 is for a 5.0L probably with a 4R70W or maybe even a manual, ML1-441 is the hardware code for E4OD. Adam Marrer can probably tell you what the ML1-442 code is for.

Hmmmm, Ray's pic shows the tranny code of "E", which he said is for the E4OD and that's what I'm finding online as well.

And this post on FSB says "1996 5.0L E4OD ML1-442 TAD4 F6TF-12A650-JE".