Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

That is a thing of beauty Gary! It must feel good to have both the engine and transmission built and ready to go in...

:nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, Jonathan. I certainly does feel good. And, with any luck the engine and tranny will be sitting in the frame for the show in Sept. And, I hope to have the Trick Flow intake plenums on the engine as well. Plus the front suspension back in so it is sitting on all four wheels.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Jonathan. I certainly does feel good. And, with any luck the engine and tranny will be sitting in the frame for the show in Sept. And, I hope to have the Trick Flow intake plenums on the engine as well. Plus the front suspension back in so it is sitting on all four wheels.

That does look impressive! It will look very nice on the 408.

Are you going to paint it the other gray color you have been using for the other stuff like the transfer case?

Are you going to paint it the other gray color you have been using for the other stuff like the transfer case?

I'm not sure yet. I need to get it beside the transfer case and see how much difference there is. But I think it is going to be very close and I may not have to repaint it.

• 3 weeks later...

I moved the E4OD out of my new truck and onto an engine stand today. Here's a shot mid-transfer:

Transfereing_The_Transmission.thumb.jpg.6c7401e30d7677d58582ca8db30f6a51.jpg

And here it is on the engine stand, where I discovered that it had been painted from "above". In other words, the part you won't be able to see when it is installed was fairly well painted, and the part you can see from below had a very thin coat.

Thin_Paint_On_Tranny.thumb.jpg.f903ba73a6b432653fbc4dfb6e1c5f3d.jpg

So, to answer Brandon's question, I did have to paint the tranny to make it match the transfer case as well as to put a bit more paint on the bottom. And, the engine stand certainly facilitated that project. I put on about one full can of Eastwood's Detail Gray. Here's the bottom view:

Transmission_Painted_-_Bottom.thumb.jpg.bcae79aeadfd23a10ea72d5f5fc84e86.jpg

And here's a top-side view:

Transmission_Painted_-_LS.thumb.jpg.2f74393033da9961a6555e6f05d51ed5.jpg

I moved the E4OD out of my new truck and onto an engine stand today. Here's a shot mid-transfer:

And here it is on the engine stand, where I discovered that it had been painted from "above". In other words, the part you won't be able to see when it is installed was fairly well painted, and the part you can see from below had a very thin coat.

So, to answer Brandon's question, I did have to paint the tranny to make it match the transfer case as well as to put a bit more paint on the bottom. And, the engine stand certainly facilitated that project. I put on about one full can of Eastwood's Detail Gray. Here's the bottom view:

Looks very good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks very good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, David.

I just have to get Huck out of the shop and off to the scrap metal place and then I can start installing the front end on Dad's truck. Most of the parts are powder coated or painted, so that should go fairly smoothly.

Then comes the real fun - lift the cab off and install the engine and tranny as a unit. Along the way I'll have to prop the back of the tranny up while I mark and drill the holes for the E4OD-specific crossmember that also came from Huck. Then the cab can sit down and it'll look like some progress has been made. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Thanks, David.

I just have to get Huck out of the shop and off to the scrap metal place and then I can start installing the front end on Dad's truck. Most of the parts are powder coated or painted, so that should go fairly smoothly.

Then comes the real fun - lift the cab off and install the engine and tranny as a unit. Along the way I'll have to prop the back of the tranny up while I mark and drill the holes for the E4OD-specific crossmember that also came from Huck. Then the cab can sit down and it'll look like some progress has been made. :nabble_smiley_grin:

"Then the cab can sit down and it'll look like some progress has been made."

And, progress is good! :nabble_anim_claps:

Transmission looks too pretty to even drive it once it's together.

"Then the cab can sit down and it'll look like some progress has been made."

And, progress is good! :nabble_anim_claps:

You beat Jim to it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

John Keeline, the paint/body man, was down recently and we discussed the plan to put the cab back on the frame. He's quite invested in this truck and I'm thinking that if it is close I'll ask him to come down and help me.

However, if I chock the wheels it should go back from whence it came. And, I have fender covers and towels that could be used to pad the front of the bed, so it shouldn't be a problem.