Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

True, Bill. But there will be ample torque to move it, and quickly, w/o spinning the engine up. And keeping the stall speed low minimizes the heating when the torque converter is unlocked.

Took the tranny in and had a good conversation with Charles. Didn't get into the details too much as he hadn't done the research yet on which torque converter he thinks we should use, but he did say that one of the biggest problems with the E4 is overheating due to unlocking the converter - just what Bill has been saying. So I told him of my plan to keep it locked until 80% of WOT and he thought that is a good idea.

Anyway, he will pull the tranny apart, probably on Monday, and give me a call about what he finds. Like, what needs to be replaced, what upgrades are in it, etc. And, at that time he will have done the research so we can talk about the details and agree the plan.

But, he did say that the pan he will use is a 4R100 pan, which fits the E4 and has the drain plug. And, he will use a later case than mine to take the re-usable gasket.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the tranny in and had a good conversation with Charles. Didn't get into the details too much as he hadn't done the research yet on which torque converter he thinks we should use, but he did say that one of the biggest problems with the E4 is overheating due to unlocking the converter - just what Bill has been saying. So I told him of my plan to keep it locked until 80% of WOT and he thought that is a good idea.

Anyway, he will pull the tranny apart, probably on Monday, and give me a call about what he finds. Like, what needs to be replaced, what upgrades are in it, etc. And, at that time he will have done the research so we can talk about the details and agree the plan.

But, he did say that the pan he will use is a 4R100 pan, which fits the E4 and has the drain plug. And, he will use a later case than mine to take the re-usable gasket.

Damn, you mean I was right about something!

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, you mean I was right about something!

Just got a call from Charley, the transmission expert. Turns out that Huck's transmission was built by Johnny Cash for his Caddy as it has an '89 this and a '90 that and, and and. He doesn't want to put it together with mis-matched parts, so will be looking for a mid-90's core that we can use.

Having said that, there are parts in the transmission that we can use. For instance the center bearing has been upgraded to the latest style and the pump is also the later style. But the planetaries are aluminum and need to be steel. And the clutches aren't big enough to take the frictions it needs.

In any event, I'm convinced I took it to the right guy since some people would have used what was in it. Others might have said I need to find another transmission. But Charley says he'll not use the case he had planned to use to replace my cracked one, but instead will find a good core to start with. That'll cost a bit more up front but will save money overall since there will be fewer parts to buy. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a call from Charley, the transmission expert. Turns out that Huck's transmission was built by Johnny Cash for his Caddy as it has an '89 this and a '90 that and, and and. He doesn't want to put it together with mis-matched parts, so will be looking for a mid-90's core that we can use.

Having said that, there are parts in the transmission that we can use. For instance the center bearing has been upgraded to the latest style and the pump is also the later style. But the planetaries are aluminum and need to be steel. And the clutches aren't big enough to take the frictions it needs.

In any event, I'm convinced I took it to the right guy since some people would have used what was in it. Others might have said I need to find another transmission. But Charley says he'll not use the case he had planned to use to replace my cracked one, but instead will find a good core to start with. That'll cost a bit more up front but will save money overall since there will be fewer parts to buy. :nabble_smiley_good:

Charley called yesterday. He's found a '96 E4OD from an F450 that he's going to use as the core from which to build Dad's. He thinks it'll have all the upgraded stuff, like steel planetaries, and will be a good starting point.

At first blush it might seem that I shouldn't have purchased Huck since the plan was to use his tranny to build for Dad's truck. But, had I not purchased Huck:

• I wouldn't have gotten the transmission crossmember nor transmission cover needed for Dad's

• I wouldn't have gotten the EFI 460 heads and exhaust, nor the cruise control, with EFI-specific cables, for Big Blue

• Bill wouldn't have gotten as much radiator support hardware

• Darin/Oz wouldn't have gotten the front crossmember nor the top of the cab

• Brandon wouldn't have gotten the steering box and associated fasteners

• Local friends wouldn't have gotten the hood and cowl

• Other local friends wouldn't have gotten the serious bumper, front axle, and transfer case

• And still others that I've forgotten (or don't know yet) wouldn't have gotten whatever they got, or will get

So, all in all, Huck was a good purchase. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• 4 weeks later...

So, all in all, Huck was a good purchase. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Huck was a heck of a good purchase! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Well, I now have a "built" E4OD for Dad's truck. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Picked it up from the tranny shop today. Here are the spec's, as best I can relate them from what the invoice says, but it is what I asked for:

• Pan: It has the deep 4R100 pan, which has a drain plug built in

• Gasket: It is the later model case with the reusable gasket

• Reverse Boost

• Line Pressure - 500: The line pressure has been set to 500 psi instead of 270 to ensure the clutches will lock up

• All of the upgrades, like the center bearing, steel clutch housings, HD pump, snap ring, etc

• Clutches: He put all the clutches in that can go in, and he used different brands of clutches in different positions as those are the ones he likes for that purpose

• Torque Converter: A B&I low-stall HD "bullet back" unit. Apparently that means it has an extra-strong case, which was one of the problems with stock E4OD converters

As for warranty, it is two years from the point I fire the engine up. Also, he recommends the new synthetic Type F.

And without pictures it didn't happen, so here's what it looks like: :nabble_smiley_beam:

DSCN2820.thumb.jpg.6c28ca92d793c91b179f32f7c9af77e1.jpg

DSCN2822.thumb.jpg.f7db33d7ecd09518dea3d6efd3b56cd7.jpg

Picked it up from the tranny shop today. Here are the spec's, as best I can relate them from what the invoice says, but it is what I asked for:

• Reverse Boost

• Line Pressure - 500: The line pressure has been set to 500 psi instead of 270 to ensure the clutches will lock up

• All of the upgrades, like the center bearing, steel clutch housings, HD pump, snap ring, etc

• Clutches: He put all the clutches in that can go in, and he used different brands of clutches in different positions as those are the ones he likes for that purpose

• Torque Converter: A B&I low-stall HD "bullet back" unit. Apparently that means it has an extra-strong case, which was one of the problems with stock E4OD converters

As for warranty, it is two years from the point I fire the engine up. Also, he recommends the new synthetic Type F.

And without pictures it didn't happen, so here's what it looks like: :nabble_smiley_beam:

Nice!

Interesting point on the line pressure. As I understand it, the pressure is varied by the ECU. Is 500 lb an upper limit?

Nice!

Interesting point on the line pressure. As I understand it, the pressure is varied by the ECU. Is 500 lb an upper limit?

I think that is the upper limit, like you said. That's probably the pop-off for the regulator on the pump. Then the Electronic Pressure Control unit, which is controlled by the PCM, regulates the pressure that goes to the clutches.

I think that is the upper limit, like you said. That's probably the pop-off for the regulator on the pump. Then the Electronic Pressure Control unit, which is controlled by the PCM, regulates the pressure that goes to the clutches.

I will have to find my E4OD overhaul manual, it vanished into the mess in Newport News.

• Reverse Boost

That is a thing of beauty Gary! It must feel good to have both the engine and transmission built and ready to go in...

:nabble_smiley_good: