Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dimmer switch is on the column, it is the later style combination switch hi-lo beam, flash to pass (optical horn) wipers and turn signals. The #19 fuse in the PDC feeds the B1 terminal on the headlight switch this terminal is internally connected only to the H terminal when the headlights are on. The 1986 had the separate infeed, same color wire, but everything there was fed through the ammeter shunt wire off the crack head alternator circuits. This, coupled with the poor grounds on these trucks limited the voltage available under load. Once you have the stuff from Ray in hand you will see the size of the feed from the battery to the PDC, I would imagine the voltage drop from battery to PDC is quite small.

It will be tomorrow as (a) it is getting dark here and (b) 35° out.

Jim - You may not physically have a 1986 EVTM, but you have access. 😈

Bill - I forgot that your truck is mostly 1990+ rather than Bullnose. But you are right that I’m going to understand better when I get the harness from Ray in my hands. I understand that his harness will supply power to the headlight switch, thereby bypassing the ammeter and the skinny wiring coming from the solenoid on a Bullnose. And I understand that there’s a neat harness that crosses the radiator support, bringing power from the solenoid on good-sized wires as well as taking power to the headlights - on maybe bigger wires than a Bullnose has. But I need to get from the Bullnose dimmer switch into that wiring, and don’t yet know how to do that.

Anyway, tomorrow is fine for the readings. And don’t forget to measure the battery itself so we have a baseline.

Jim - You may not physically have a 1986 EVTM, but you have access. 😈

Bill - I forgot that your truck is mostly 1990+ rather than Bullnose. But you are right that I’m going to understand better when I get the harness from Ray in my hands. I understand that his harness will supply power to the headlight switch, thereby bypassing the ammeter and the skinny wiring coming from the solenoid on a Bullnose. And I understand that there’s a neat harness that crosses the radiator support, bringing power from the solenoid on good-sized wires as well as taking power to the headlights - on maybe bigger wires than a Bullnose has. But I need to get from the Bullnose dimmer switch into that wiring, and don’t yet know how to do that.

Anyway, tomorrow is fine for the readings. And don’t forget to measure the battery itself so we have a baseline.

Gary, the headlight feed is the same R/Y wire it was in 1981, so since you are keeping the interior pretty much original, that part shouldn't change.

On the voltage readings, I plan on doing it engine running, lights on high and low beam, measured at the battery, PDC power stud, Fuse #19 (both sides because I know how anal you are :nabble_smiley_happy:) then the headlight low and high respectively and finally, FWIW, the ground pin on the headlight all to battery negative. Do you want pictures too?

Gary, the headlight feed is the same R/Y wire it was in 1981, so since you are keeping the interior pretty much original, that part shouldn't change.

On the voltage readings, I plan on doing it engine running, lights on high and low beam, measured at the battery, PDC power stud, Fuse #19 (both sides because I know how anal you are :nabble_smiley_happy:) then the headlight low and high respectively and finally, FWIW, the ground pin on the headlight all to battery negative. Do you want pictures too?

Nope, don't need pics. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Seriously though, that should be a good test. I should do the same with Big Blue, which doesn't have relays, and then stick the relays in the circuit and go again. It would be an interesting comparison.

I watched as the ISS resupply rocket flew up the east coast this morning.

It was supposed to go yesterday, but some imbecile in a light plane flew right into the clearly designated FAA no-fly zone, hope he enjoyed his time as a pilot, because in addition to violating the no-fly zone, he ignored radio messages to leave. As a result the launch was scrubbed till today.