Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

You guys are so far beyond me! But Ray mentioned the "302/351 EECV ECM's in the 95/96 trucks that also supports E4OD". So, instead of using either the '90 or '95 harness, why not get the underhood harness from one of them as well as the tranny harness? That way it would already be set up for EEC-V, MAF, & SEFI. And, if I used a 351W EFI upper and lower intake manifold, with the requisite adapters to fit to a Cleveland head, the harness would fit right on it.

I do have a 95 MAF EECV for a 5.0 with E4OD and a complete underhood harness. Could ship it your way.

The harness for EECV is completely different than for EECIV. 104 pins in 4 rows as opposed to 60 pins in 3 rows.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a 95 MAF EECV for a 5.0 with E4OD and a complete underhood harness. Could ship it your way.

The harness for EECV is completely different than for EECIV. 104 pins in 4 rows as opposed to 60 pins in 3 rows.

Ray - Was it from a 4wd truck? Or does it matter? Dad's truck is 4wd and Bill was saying something about the computer needing to know that you are in 4Lo so it knows when to shift.

And, where is the computer located on a '95? What I was hoping to do was to go with a harness that would position things basically where they are going to be so I don't have to cut and re-wire.

Also, was this an A/C truck? Or is that something that can be added?

And was '95 SEFI?

Bill - Why won't this work? You sent me a list of EEC-V modules that would work, but they all were from a '96 Bronco. Why not a '95 F-Series?

Ray - Was it from a 4wd truck? Or does it matter? Dad's truck is 4wd and Bill was saying something about the computer needing to know that you are in 4Lo so it knows when to shift.

And, where is the computer located on a '95? What I was hoping to do was to go with a harness that would position things basically where they are going to be so I don't have to cut and re-wire.

Also, was this an A/C truck? Or is that something that can be added?

And was '95 SEFI?

Bill - Why won't this work? You sent me a list of EEC-V modules that would work, but they all were from a '96 Bronco. Why not a '95 F-Series?

I can't recall if it was a 4wd truck. Catch code is TAD4. Possibly 4wd functions can be toggled with flash program? It may have been 4wd. I recall taking a pic of the door tag so I would have a record, but now I would have to find it. Pretty sure the truck had A/C.

ECU was mounted in the left kick panel like all 87 to 96 F series. I really disliked the location under the dash that the 85/86 trucks used. If I had to cut the hole, I would look for a high and dry location like the 97 and up F series or the Rangers used. The 92 to 96 truck used a very different thru firewall connector than the 87 to 91 trucks used. Probably not a factor if you are making a stand alone harness. There may also be some black magic programming required as the 92 and up trucks were married to other modules along the CANBUS system inherent with OBDII. I'm thinking PSOM speedometer module here.

I can't recall if it was a 4wd truck. Catch code is TAD4. Possibly 4wd functions can be toggled with flash program? It may have been 4wd. I recall taking a pic of the door tag so I would have a record, but now I would have to find it. Pretty sure the truck had A/C.

ECU was mounted in the left kick panel like all 87 to 96 F series. I really disliked the location under the dash that the 85/86 trucks used. If I had to cut the hole, I would look for a high and dry location like the 97 and up F series or the Rangers used. The 92 to 96 truck used a very different thru firewall connector than the 87 to 91 trucks used. Probably not a factor if you are making a stand alone harness. There may also be some black magic programming required as the 92 and up trucks were married to other modules along the CANBUS system inherent with OBDII. I'm thinking PSOM speedometer module here.

And I should add that the truck was SEFI and MAF.

My cab is an '82 with a round plate under the driver's seat for the wiring to the ECU to come through. Why couldn't I mount the computer under the seat? I'd really rather not have to cut the firewall.

As for the speedometer, are you saying the computer expects there to be certain gauges, like the speedo? And gets upset if they aren't there? Can that be turned off?

I've been planning to call Core Tuning, but it looks like tomorrow may be the day. Perhaps they can help me understand as my head is swimming.

My cab is an '82 with a round plate under the driver's seat for the wiring to the ECU to come through. Why couldn't I mount the computer under the seat? I'd really rather not have to cut the firewall.

As for the speedometer, are you saying the computer expects there to be certain gauges, like the speedo? And gets upset if they aren't there? Can that be turned off?

I've been planning to call Core Tuning, but it looks like tomorrow may be the day. Perhaps they can help me understand as my head is swimming.

Gary,

I think he is saying that there is a difference in obd-II (eec-V) truck's PSOM.

All of this is as far over my head as it is yours.

But I am trying to learn as I follow along.

The PSOM converts the pulses from the tone ring in the rear axle or the output from the ABS module on 4 wheel ABS to a speed reading on the speedometer and a speed signal that emulates the old speed sensor on the transmission, transfer case or in-line in the cable. From there everything works the same as it did prior to 1992. As long as he has a speed sensor (which he is getting from the 1990 parts truck) he will have what he needs. No CANBUS on the trucks till later, the OBD-II on the 1996/7 models only went to the EEC-V unit, the ABS kept it's old test connection.

Under the seat would be an idea, Chevrolet did that with the 1989 G- series, issue would be sealing the penetration under the seat, theirs was a molded round rubber piece with a right angle to make the turn from under the floor to a vertical direction. Issue became in a conversion, the power seat or custom seat required the computer be relocated.

The PSOM converts the pulses from the tone ring in the rear axle or the output from the ABS module on 4 wheel ABS to a speed reading on the speedometer and a speed signal that emulates the old speed sensor on the transmission, transfer case or in-line in the cable. From there everything works the same as it did prior to 1992. As long as he has a speed sensor (which he is getting from the 1990 parts truck) he will have what he needs. No CANBUS on the trucks till later, the OBD-II on the 1996/7 models only went to the EEC-V unit, the ABS kept it's old test connection.

Under the seat would be an idea, Chevrolet did that with the 1989 G- series, issue would be sealing the penetration under the seat, theirs was a molded round rubber piece with a right angle to make the turn from under the floor to a vertical direction. Issue became in a conversion, the power seat or custom seat required the computer be relocated.

Bill - You said “the OBD-II on the 96/97 models only went to the EEC-V unit”, but Ray’s harness is a ‘95. Are you saying it won’t have OBD-II?

Ray - I’m not questioning your knowledge. I’m just confused. Can you help me understand?

As for the seat, that may not work as I’m using that adapter to bolt Bronco buckets to a regular cab. I’ll have to look to see if it blocks off the hole in the floor.

Bill - You said “the OBD-II on the 96/97 models only went to the EEC-V unit”, but Ray’s harness is a ‘95. Are you saying it won’t have OBD-II?

Ray - I’m not questioning your knowledge. I’m just confused. Can you help me understand?

As for the seat, that may not work as I’m using that adapter to bolt Bronco buckets to a regular cab. I’ll have to look to see if it blocks off the hole in the floor.

Obd II in '96 model year.

Why not the kick panel like every other Ford?

The spot is there.

The connector and gasket are available.

Obd II in '96 model year.

Why not the kick panel like every other Ford?

The spot is there.

The connector and gasket are available.

Conanski said:

1996 was the official cutover to OBD-2 but of course they start making that years models in late '95 so there could be a few of those as well.

With OBD-1 the EEC test connector is under the hood on the drivers side inner fender, with OBD-2 it is in the cab under the dash, and these connects are totally different.

Also note that it was only trucks under 8500lb GVWR that went OBD-2 in '96, so all f250HD and larger trucks retained OBD-1 until the new Superduty was introduced in 1998.

SD to MAF is harder to nail down though in general it happened in '94 and '95 depending what state the vehicle was destined for.

But I’ve read elsewhere that there were some pre-‘96 trucks that got OBD-II connectors but they weren’t fully functional. Might Ford have been getting the wiring set up but not have the computer programmed for OBD-II?

:nabble_anim_crazy:

As for the computer’s position, is there room under a Bullnose’s kickpanel for it? And I’d have to cut a hole in the firewall for the connector?