Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

Short answer, no, has to be built for SEFI, but, the Mustang computers can be re-sequenced and used on a manual transmission. A lot of people have done that and some have used a separate trans controller for the E4OD. EEC-V from a 1996 302 truck might be SEFI.

So, the Mustang EEC-IV's are SEFI? And could be re-sequenced for the 460. That's a possibility. That way I wouldn't have to find another harness, and could just move everything over from the '90.

But, what are your thoughts about EFI heads on the block/piston combo I already have? Can I use my short block with the stuff from the '90? Meaning heads, intake, exhaust, dizzy, harness, etc.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the Mustang EEC-IV's are SEFI? And could be re-sequenced for the 460. That's a possibility. That way I wouldn't have to find another harness, and could just move everything over from the '90.

But, what are your thoughts about EFI heads on the block/piston combo I already have? Can I use my short block with the stuff from the '90? Meaning heads, intake, exhaust, dizzy, harness, etc.

And.... What pistons do you have?

Sure you can put everything from a 90 top end on an earlier block.

It will fit.

There is nothing in all the documentation that came with Big Blue? All you need is a manufacturer and PN.

Unfortunately, no. Vernon had a major falling out with the guy that built the engine. Might have had something to do with the massive oil leaks, which may have had something to do with there being no gaskets on the valve covers as well as many other problems. But I’m sure that the 4 years he waited on the engine didn’t help.

He ended up taking the truck to another shop to have the leaks fixed, or maybe I should say most of them fixed, and that cost another $2k as they had to pull the engine to fix some of the problems. He finally paid the original guy but got no documentation. 😩

There is nothing in all the documentation that came with Big Blue? All you need is a manufacturer and PN.

Whatever.

As long as the cam doesn't cause the valves to hit because of the dish, there's no way for a stock head to cause too much compression.

Edit: unless early C8, C9, or D0VE heads on an early short deck block.

11:1 is not happening on today's pump gas.

Except if you have E85 where you live.

Then, look out! That is a whole different animal.

Whatever.

As long as the cam doesn't cause the valves to hit because of the dish, there's no way for a stock head to cause too much compression.

Edit: unless early C8, C9, or D0VE heads on an early short deck block.

11:1 is not happening on today's pump gas.

Except if you have E85 where you live.

Then, look out! That is a whole different animal.

So, I could install a head with a lump of clay on the pistons, turn it over slowly, and then check the thickness of the clay. Or, install the head without a gasket and if there’s no binding know there’s at least .039 of clearance?

But, that brings me back to the question of why. The engine runs well now with the carb, and I do have a few other irons in the fire. 🙈

Guess I’ll put the complete 460 and it’s associated “stuff” back and maybe do it when I run out of projects. But thanks for talking me through the options.

So, I could install a head with a lump of clay on the pistons, turn it over slowly, and then check the thickness of the clay. Or, install the head without a gasket and if there’s no binding know there’s at least .039 of clearance?

But, that brings me back to the question of why. The engine runs well now with the carb, and I do have a few other irons in the fire. 🙈

Guess I’ll put the complete 460 and it’s associated “stuff” back and maybe do it when I run out of projects. But thanks for talking me through the options.

You, run out of projects?????

ROTFL

I like to use soft solder.

Then you can measure with calipers.

Trying to stick a rule through the plasticine without disturbing it and then reading the rule is iffy at best.

Should I try to sell these F3 heads?

“Plasticine”? Are you a Brit or at least a Beatles fan? Last time I heard that word used they were talking about Lucy. 😉 But, I do take your point about trying to measure it, and soft solder would be much better.

Sell the F3 heads? Were you thinking I wanted them, or? Sorry, I’m a bit slow.