Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

Do you need the ac compressor to go with the bracket?

I would say if you wanted to switch over to a serpentine setup I will get you the alternator and bracket off the other side.

.... and the water pump, and the fan, with pulley... and all the rest of the front dress.

Pretty sure you need to change some of the tapped holes on the front of carbed heads to run these brackets.

The water pump is set up for the dreaded water to oil intercooler. (ask Bill about "the box". Lol)

Not so much on the heads, as needing to drill the lower inboard hole on the A/C PS bracket to allow a 1/2-13 bolt to fit through into the head, everything else matches on that side, other side, the very lowest hole at the bottom of the AIR pump, alternator bracket interferes with the carbureted timing pointer.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much on the heads, as needing to drill the lower inboard hole on the A/C PS bracket to allow a 1/2-13 bolt to fit through into the head, everything else matches on that side, other side, the very lowest hole at the bottom of the AIR pump, alternator bracket interferes with the carbureted timing pointer.

Bill - I got your email about various things and will include it here in a separate post to share with the others. But I understand why you sent it via email as it does allow easier printing. Thanks.

I got the message on the water pump and pulley. And, I understand about the later harness and PDC being desirable. Thanks again.

Jim, please add the water pump and pulley as well as the harnesses and PDC to the list of parts I want. And I’m sure there will be more. I guess I need to create a real list somewhere.....

Bill - I got your email about various things and will include it here in a separate post to share with the others. But I understand why you sent it via email as it does allow easier printing. Thanks.

I got the message on the water pump and pulley. And, I understand about the later harness and PDC being desirable. Thanks again.

Jim, please add the water pump and pulley as well as the harnesses and PDC to the list of parts I want. And I’m sure there will be more. I guess I need to create a real list somewhere.....

Here’s Bill’s info sent via email:

Gary, I am sending this as an email so you can print it out and save.

Harness to fit top of M block, 460 harness should work, but will need to be rewired for SEFI as all except CA spec (some) are bank fired, meaning 1458 and 2367 injectors are grouped together.

Engine/chassis harness differences:

1985.5-1986, EFI harness is a "piggyback" design, and EEC is mounted inside the cab to right of steering column. Cab harness is the "continuous" design from one headlight to the other and has the group number 14401. Speed sensor for cruise in speedometer cable.

1987-1991, EFI harness plugs into front end harness with 4 8 pin round plugs, color coded and tabbed so they can't be mixed up, EEC is inside a recess in the left airbox. Transmission is connected like the engine to the front harness which carries the group number 12A581, dash harness is still 14401. Connection is a round 72? pin plug. Rear harness still comes off the front 12A581 harness like the older ones came off the 14401 front portions. Speed sensor for EFI, cruise and E4OD at transmission or transfer case.

1992-1996/7, EFI harness plugs into the 12A581 harness with a 42 pin connector mounted inboard of the PDC, everything except the alternator wiring goes through this connector (C101), the transmission circuits go through another 16 pin connector and either a 4 or 8 pin one depending on year and application. EEC is located just inboard of the left airbox which has a very slight recess and is behind the parking brake/steering column support casting. Front (12A581) harness goes through firewall to the dash (14401) harness in a rectangular 76 pin plug of which 24 are 0.125" OD and the remainder are 0.062" OD, rear harness connects to the dash harness through an adjacent 24 pin oval connector, all of which are 0.125" OD. Speed sensor on 2WD from ABS tone ring in rear axle, 4WD used ABS module to generate speed signal.

EECs, EEC-IV used on all vehicles through 1995, 1996, under 8500 GVW trucks went to EEC-V, over 8500 except CA did not. EEC-IV is 60 pin connector, EEC-V is 104 pin connector, outside of plug remained close to the same size so box would fit in place of EEC-IV, but seal cover on firewall is slightly different.

Hope this helps!

Bill "Lord of the Blue Oval" Vose

Here’s Bill’s info sent via email:

Gary, I am sending this as an email so you can print it out and save.

Harness to fit top of M block, 460 harness should work, but will need to be rewired for SEFI as all except CA spec (some) are bank fired, meaning 1458 and 2367 injectors are grouped together.

Engine/chassis harness differences:

1985.5-1986, EFI harness is a "piggyback" design, and EEC is mounted inside the cab to right of steering column. Cab harness is the "continuous" design from one headlight to the other and has the group number 14401. Speed sensor for cruise in speedometer cable.

1987-1991, EFI harness plugs into front end harness with 4 8 pin round plugs, color coded and tabbed so they can't be mixed up, EEC is inside a recess in the left airbox. Transmission is connected like the engine to the front harness which carries the group number 12A581, dash harness is still 14401. Connection is a round 72? pin plug. Rear harness still comes off the front 12A581 harness like the older ones came off the 14401 front portions. Speed sensor for EFI, cruise and E4OD at transmission or transfer case.

1992-1996/7, EFI harness plugs into the 12A581 harness with a 42 pin connector mounted inboard of the PDC, everything except the alternator wiring goes through this connector (C101), the transmission circuits go through another 16 pin connector and either a 4 or 8 pin one depending on year and application. EEC is located just inboard of the left airbox which has a very slight recess and is behind the parking brake/steering column support casting. Front (12A581) harness goes through firewall to the dash (14401) harness in a rectangular 76 pin plug of which 24 are 0.125" OD and the remainder are 0.062" OD, rear harness connects to the dash harness through an adjacent 24 pin oval connector, all of which are 0.125" OD. Speed sensor on 2WD from ABS tone ring in rear axle, 4WD used ABS module to generate speed signal.

EECs, EEC-IV used on all vehicles through 1995, 1996, under 8500 GVW trucks went to EEC-V, over 8500 except CA did not. EEC-IV is 60 pin connector, EEC-V is 104 pin connector, outside of plug remained close to the same size so box would fit in place of EEC-IV, but seal cover on firewall is slightly different.

Hope this helps!

Bill "Lord of the Blue Oval" Vose

Ok, I’m going to start the list of parts I want from Jim, but hope y’all will jump in and point out what I’ve missed or don’t need:

• Hydroboost system

• Power Distribution Center

• Harnesses, including the one to the ZF as I don’t have that connector for my ZF

• Waterpump and pulley

• ZF5 crossmember

• Senders: According to Bill, “If you get the intake manifold from Jim's truck, you will have IAC, TPS, ECT, ACT, EVP all on the plenum.” But, since I’ll have the ‘90 with its plenum will I also have those? And, are they the same for the two trucks? Or might the connectors be different for the two harnesses?

• Coil Bracket: Bill also said “f you get the coil bracket you will also have EGR and AIR solenoid valves which you won't be using and the TFI-IV coil, get the ICM and heat sink from the left inner fender.

• Distributor: Bill also said “and the distributor for the CMP and CKP sensors”. I’ll have the one from the ‘90, so do I need the later one? Are the connectors different?

• O2 Sensors: I’ll have those from the ‘90, but if you pulled those from your truck, Jim, maybe I should have them as well.

I’m sure this isn’t a complete list, but it is a start and I can easily come back to edit it.

Ok, I’m going to start the list of parts I want from Jim, but hope y’all will jump in and point out what I’ve missed or don’t need:

• Hydroboost system

• Power Distribution Center

• Harnesses, including the one to the ZF as I don’t have that connector for my ZF

• Waterpump and pulley

• ZF5 crossmember

• Senders: According to Bill, “If you get the intake manifold from Jim's truck, you will have IAC, TPS, ECT, ACT, EVP all on the plenum.” But, since I’ll have the ‘90 with its plenum will I also have those? And, are they the same for the two trucks? Or might the connectors be different for the two harnesses?

• Coil Bracket: Bill also said “f you get the coil bracket you will also have EGR and AIR solenoid valves which you won't be using and the TFI-IV coil, get the ICM and heat sink from the left inner fender.

• Distributor: Bill also said “and the distributor for the CMP and CKP sensors”. I’ll have the one from the ‘90, so do I need the later one? Are the connectors different?

• O2 Sensors: I’ll have those from the ‘90, but if you pulled those from your truck, Jim, maybe I should have them as well.

I’m sure this isn’t a complete list, but it is a start and I can easily come back to edit it.

You want the water pump?

And serpentine pulley, backing plate, fan and clutch????

You want the water pump?

Hmmmm. Bill says I need the pump and pulley as earlier serp 460’s had the pump shaft break. But, is the backing plate different? And are the fan and clutch different? Would I need those?

Hmmmm. Bill says I need the pump and pulley as earlier serp 460’s had the pump shaft break. But, is the backing plate different? And are the fan and clutch different? Would I need those?

But, would I put a used pump on? Why wouldn’t I just buy a new pump as I’m installing the serpentine system?

But, would I put a used pump on? Why wouldn’t I just buy a new pump as I’m installing the serpentine system?

No idea.

You're the one that said you wanted it.

As Bill says 'im up to my ass in alligators' over here.

It's hard to text with greasy gloves on.

I'm getting back under there and finishing the job.

You want the water pump?

The differences in the pumps are: starting in mid 1990 the cooler was added, the lower hose changed to a two piece unit, and the pump inlet changed from 2.0" OD to 1.75" OD. There is a NAPA "bushing" PN 902 that will take the inlet hose up to 2.0". Backing plate is the same C8SZ PN from the 1968 429. I would buy a new water pump like I did for the new engine, AutoZone's Duralast line is lifetime warranty and they are very good about it.