Bullnose Forums

E4OD For Dad’s Truck

I would sell one of the GIN3 or TIN3 boxes, they are 351 w/E4OD. One has already been reflashed, that one I want to keep as it is the spare. The one with the seal was purchased when Adam and I both thought there was something wrong with the one he sold me on the initial setup.

You can contact Core Tuning, in fact it would be a good idea so you can purchase the needed hardware and software to be able to tweak things yourself.

Bill - I will contact Core Tuning, but it will be a few days before I can. As for the computer, let me get back with you in a bit on that as well. And thanks for the offer.

Bill - I will contact Core Tuning, but it will be a few days before I can. As for the computer, let me get back with you in a bit on that as well. And thanks for the offer.

I’ve contacted Core Tuning, although it wasn’t Ben so I sent him an email to see about going down to OKC to talk to him. That’s because after perusing their website I’m even more confused and have lots of questions.

And, to prove I don’t understand, let me outline my limited understanding and hope I will be corrected.

Needed Parts:

• EEC-V module: Bill sent me a file that provides the details, but I think I remember that one from a 351W or 302 provides the right firing order. However, Core Tuning asked if I want knock sensors, which some modules support.

• Ignition: Core Tuning asked if I want a dizzy or coil-on-plug ignition. I’m thinking dizzy as a 460’s will drop right in and should plug into the harness.

• Harness: Bill said I’ll need to find a “1996/7 OBS truck with an EEC-V system for the front harness (which gives you the nice PDC I have) in order to get the OBD-II port and 104 pin EEC connector.” But I don’t know what a PDC is. 😳

• Intake: Bill mentioned getting the upper plenum and throttle body off a 460. But how does that interface with a standard intake on the 400?

• Fuel Tank & Pump: Do I use the tanks and pumps from an EFI’d truck? If so, how do I get the fuel gauge to work? Can I put an EFI pump on an 85/86 sending unit?

• Injectors: Tim said the injectors he used on Dan’s engine just pushed down into the machined holes in the adapters, and the fuel rail pushed down over them, with standoffs supporting the ends of the fuel rails. But that doesn’t appear to be how the 460’s injectors are attached - from what I can see in pictures. So, how are the 460’s injectors attached?

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture - I need educated. 😬

I’ve contacted Core Tuning, although it wasn’t Ben so I sent him an email to see about going down to OKC to talk to him. That’s because after perusing their website I’m even more confused and have lots of questions.

And, to prove I don’t understand, let me outline my limited understanding and hope I will be corrected.

Needed Parts:

• EEC-V module: Bill sent me a file that provides the details, but I think I remember that one from a 351W or 302 provides the right firing order. However, Core Tuning asked if I want knock sensors, which some modules support.

• Ignition: Core Tuning asked if I want a dizzy or coil-on-plug ignition. I’m thinking dizzy as a 460’s will drop right in and should plug into the harness.

• Harness: Bill said I’ll need to find a “1996/7 OBS truck with an EEC-V system for the front harness (which gives you the nice PDC I have) in order to get the OBD-II port and 104 pin EEC connector.” But I don’t know what a PDC is. 😳

• Intake: Bill mentioned getting the upper plenum and throttle body off a 460. But how does that interface with a standard intake on the 400?

• Fuel Tank & Pump: Do I use the tanks and pumps from an EFI’d truck? If so, how do I get the fuel gauge to work? Can I put an EFI pump on an 85/86 sending unit?

• Injectors: Tim said the injectors he used on Dan’s engine just pushed down into the machined holes in the adapters, and the fuel rail pushed down over them, with standoffs supporting the ends of the fuel rails. But that doesn’t appear to be how the 460’s injectors are attached - from what I can see in pictures. So, how are the 460’s injectors attached?

I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture - I need educated. 😬

PDC = Power Distribution Center.

Yes, use a distributor, I even have an extra that I will install a new shaft seal in for you.

Fuel tank(s) and pumps, Gary, two options, first item, fuel gauges changed in 1989 when the IVCR was done away with. That said, it is either adapt early senders to the later pump modules or use the 1985.5-1989 system with pre-89 pumps and senders along with the frame mounted filter/separator/reservoir and a frame mounted high pressure pump. Latter is more complicated mechanically, but would allow you to keep your nicely refurbished gauges.

460 Plenum to 400 manifold, Dan Lee used one but changed due to firewall interference (his is in a 1956 F100) Tim may remember what he did on that one.

460 injectors push down into the manifold bores, the rails push down over them and the rails are bolted to the intake.

DSCN1314.jpg.293f308ad87c0c9378d776f89442628f.jpg

PDC = Power Distribution Center.

Yes, use a distributor, I even have an extra that I will install a new shaft seal in for you.

Fuel tank(s) and pumps, Gary, two options, first item, fuel gauges changed in 1989 when the IVCR was done away with. That said, it is either adapt early senders to the later pump modules or use the 1985.5-1989 system with pre-89 pumps and senders along with the frame mounted filter/separator/reservoir and a frame mounted high pressure pump. Latter is more complicated mechanically, but would allow you to keep your nicely refurbished gauges.

460 Plenum to 400 manifold, Dan Lee used one but changed due to firewall interference (his is in a 1956 F100) Tim may remember what he did on that one.

460 injectors push down into the manifold bores, the rails push down over them and the rails are bolted to the intake.

Oh, PDC - got it. 👍

On the senders, keeping the NOS gauges is a must.

As for the injectors, it looks like that will work. And the plenum may as well, although I haven’t figured out how it attaches - does it have a 4bbl flange?

Oh, PDC - got it. 👍

As for the injectors, it looks like that will work. And the plenum may as well, although I haven’t figured out how it attaches - does it have a 4bbl flange?

Close enough they make a EFI to 4 barrel adapter, I don't know, but it might work. Get a plenum gasket for a 460 and look at it, you should be able to make an adapter plate on your Bridgeport, won't need to be more than 1/4" thick, maybe 3/8" max.

Close enough they make a EFI to 4 barrel adapter, I don't know, but it might work. Get a plenum gasket for a 460 and look at it, you should be able to make an adapter plate on your Bridgeport, won't need to be more than 1/4" thick, maybe 3/8" max.

We will see. The ‘90 truck is apparently sold as the guy that had spoken for it says he’s coming tomorrow. So if I’m going on with this new approach I’ll need to find another truck. But, I’m getting cold feet as I’d be launching into the unknown, at least for me, and few others have gone there on a 400.

But, I have a 400 fresh from the dyno, so adding a controller to an E4OD would make things so much easier. I asked Ben, of Core, if an EEC-V can be set up to do that, and he responded that he will call me.

So if it can be, one approach would be to get the truck running that way and add EFI later. In any event, I need to start making progress, and adding new options is sure slowing things down. 😬

We will see. The ‘90 truck is apparently sold as the guy that had spoken for it says he’s coming tomorrow. So if I’m going on with this new approach I’ll need to find another truck. But, I’m getting cold feet as I’d be launching into the unknown, at least for me, and few others have gone there on a 400.

But, I have a 400 fresh from the dyno, so adding a controller to an E4OD would make things so much easier. I asked Ben, of Core, if an EEC-V can be set up to do that, and he responded that he will call me.

So if it can be, one approach would be to get the truck running that way and add EFI later. In any event, I need to start making progress, and adding new options is sure slowing things down. 😬

Scope creep.... on a project of Gary's??? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

where's the ROTFLMAO emoticon?

Gary, as you know, I'm going to look at a 1995 460 to disembowel today.

This thing runs like a top.

Since I only really need the short block you're welcome to any harness, computer, plenum, whatever.

But lmk so i don't end up cutting a harness or sending something you might need to the shredder.

There's nothing bigger than my fist left after that.

The gauges reversed sweep direction and changed resistance range with the bricknose styling change in '87.

The newer gauges work more like a stepper motor than the heated spring style of the Bullnose instruments.

Since the 302 & 351 were available with fuel injection in 1985 I don't think a pump & sender unit for the NOS instruments is going to be an issue.

Price Motorsport makes the CS-460EFI, a flange with a Holley square bore pattern, gaskets for both sides, and eight 14mm brass plugs for the 460 injector holes.

I see no reason why this couldn't be used in reverse.

It needs to be 1/2" thick or more so the bolt heads are below flush from both sides.

For around $125 it's not really worth making your own unless you like spending hours laying out a plate and making chips while you could be doing something else important. (I.e., reinventing the wheel)

http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/body_cs-460efi.html

The gauges reversed sweep direction and changed resistance range with the bricknose styling change in '87.

The newer gauges work more like a stepper motor than the heated spring style of the Bullnose instruments.

Since the 302 & 351 were available with fuel injection in 1985 I don't think a pump & sender unit for the NOS instruments is going to be an issue.

Price Motorsport makes the CS-460EFI, a flange with a Holley square bore pattern, gaskets for both sides, and eight 14mm brass plugs for the 460 injector holes.

I see no reason why this couldn't be used in reverse.

It needs to be 1/2" thick or more so the bolt heads are below flush from both sides.

For around $125 it's not really worth making your own unless you like spending hours laying out a plate and making chips while you could be doing something else important. (I.e., reinventing the wheel)

http://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/body_cs-460efi.html

Jim - I can’t find a rolling-on-the-floor emoticon either. 🤔

But, if it is convenient it might be a big help if you save the harness(es), dizzy, TFI module, injectors and rail, and plenum. (What else? I don’t know, yet, but maybe the shift lever and its harness?) That would certainly be appreciated.

You are right about the fuel gauge and sending unit, but the EFI pumps for a 302 or 351W are a good idea and would solve that problem. 👍

The Price Motorsport adapter looks like it would also do the trick. But, it costs $125, and the manifold adapters into which I’d put the injectors after machining cost $325. And with an intake at maybe $500 we are right at $1000. Add in the cost of the Core Tuning kit and some other bits and bobs and we are approaching $2000. But a Bauman controller for the E4OD costs $800. 😳

Jim - I can’t find a rolling-on-the-floor emoticon either. 🤔

But, if it is convenient it might be a big help if you save the harness(es), dizzy, TFI module, injectors and rail, and plenum. (What else? I don’t know, yet, but maybe the shift lever and its harness?) That would certainly be appreciated.

You are right about the fuel gauge and sending unit, but the EFI pumps for a 302 or 351W are a good idea and would solve that problem. 👍

The Price Motorsport adapter looks like it would also do the trick. But, it costs $125, and the manifold adapters into which I’d put the injectors after machining cost $325. And with an intake at maybe $500 we are right at $1000. Add in the cost of the Core Tuning kit and some other bits and bobs and we are approaching $2000. But a Bauman controller for the E4OD costs $800. 😳

Here's a pic of how the 460 upper bolts to the lower.

IMG_20171021_114627.jpg.9af1b6ba088660e7e1ee30b6a4c5c2cc.jpg

You already have a 4v manifold. You just need to drill and tap for injectors.

The Price adapter will allow you to install the butterflys and tps needed to run the computer.