Bullnose Forums

What's the stock/best carburetor for an 1984 F250 460 4x4

Our 84 F250 w/460 motor currently has an edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carburetor on it.

Does anyone know what the stock carburetor set up was for that year? I'm hoping to get this truck back to (as much as possible) stock condition to make it somewhat reliable. Is there a better set up for power and reliability?

I'm assuming it was a holly, but don't know much about them.

The 4180 had a number of changes to meet emissions and federal 'anti-tamper' regulations.

Metering plates instead of jets, capped idle adjuster screws, float bowls vented to a charcoal canister, etc....

It also had annular boosters which is a nice feature that helps with atomization.

I'm running a 650 AVS at the moment and have both 650 and 750 Holley 4160's on the shelf.

They all run well with my fairly stock engine and a Performer intake.

With the tighter runners of a stock intake and the retarded cam timing from the factory you are probably better off with a 600 or 650 carb.

Change the stock 8* retarded timing set for 'straight up' and you will notice the difference.

The 4180 had a number of changes to meet emissions and federal 'anti-tamper' regulations.

Metering plates instead of jets, capped idle adjuster screws, float bowls vented to a charcoal canister, etc....

It also had annular boosters which is a nice feature that helps with atomization.

I'm running a 650 AVS at the moment and have both 650 and 750 Holley 4160's on the shelf.

They all run well with my fairly stock engine and a Performer intake.

With the tighter runners of a stock intake and the retarded cam timing from the factory you are probably better off with a 600 or 650 carb.

Change the stock 8* retarded timing set for 'straight up' and you will notice the difference.

I "third" the vote for the 1406. I have an '85 460 w/a Performer cam, intake, and long-tube headers. I've been running and Eddy 750 CFM, but recently built a 1406 for my brother's 350 Chevy and wanted to test it. So I installed it on my 460 and was pleased with how well it ran. I really think it got better MPG, or maybe "less bad", and had only slightly less top end. As I told him, if he hadn't wanted the carb I would have left it on.