Bullnose Forums

2G to 3G Swap

Bruno2

My son has a 91 F 150 5.8 truck. His old 2G has been doing some erratic charging and not charging. It's time for a swap, but certainly not back to the 2nd Generation alternator. I headed out to the junkyard this morning to harvest some upgrade goodies at a discount (it was a beautiful day for it too).

First of all the Bricknose trucks use a different 3G alt than the Bull's and thank the Lord because the otions are much more plentiful for this yr of trucks. My targets were vehicles with the 7" mounting ear spacing. They include :93-99 non- DOHC Taurus, 94-95 V8 Mustang, 94-00 V6 Mustang, 94-97 V6 T-Bird/Cougar, 95-98 Windstar and 91-94 V6 Lincoln Continental. My personal preference were the V6 Mustangs. They were plenty and when I say the alt took 5 minutes to remove I mean it may have taken less. I pulled 3 and kept 2. $22.99 ea. was certainly cheap enough to have another on standby. I pulled the charging cables from these vehicles as well. However, I though they lacked a little luster and were not very robust looking. I also needed some mega fuse options for the swap so I kept pilfering.

When thinking about fuses and heavy gauge cable, gigantic luxury vehicles with a lot of options comes to mind. I started looking under the hood of the Expeditions. Now their alternators are not options for swaps, but their cables on the other hand are primo! A 98 was my patient. He had a big 4 ga cable and all of the alt plugs were the same. Also, he had a big mega fuse and fuse holder inline with the cable. The only thing I didnt like about the cable harness was that the fuse holders snapped onto a bracket that needed to come along as well.

3g1.thumb.jpg.5a7e279cb844c70e343d5528d7912dfd.jpg

This is a pic of the 98 Expedition harness. This is almost a plug and play with the 2G to 3G swap. The only wire that needs to be spliced is the green one.

3g3.thumb.jpg.e500984d49a836a336f32d43f296b228.jpg

This is the clip that the fuse holder uses to attach itself to the bracketry.

/>3g6.thumb.jpg.c17b28352bdc3e83d279eadaae003601.jpg

This is another pic of the cable. What would be a yellow wire is red on this harness. This is the regulator wire that is either supposed to be attached back to the positive stud or attached to the alt side of the mega fuse. It is already attached to the alt side of the fuse in this harness via it's handy dandy 20 amp minifuse.

3g2.thumb.jpg.ac5d2f5acc544943c61f21e92dd545b9.jpg

This is a pic of the bracketry. I am going to modify it to mount close enough (hopefully) to the starter relay so that nothing else has to be done.

3g8.thumb.jpg.c08ad0604c78448b06eab2e047541410.jpg

This is the transplant about to be installed

I am planning on doing the swap next weekend. According to what I have been reading the mounting brackets for the alternator need to be modified with some grind in order to get the clearance for the 3G to sit in it. I plan to post pics of the install when I do it. This should be an easy mod/upgrade for the truck.

...the mounting brackets for the alternator need to be modified with some grind in order to get the clearance for the 3G to sit in it.
It's shown in this photo album, but SMN was down when I posted this:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/3536/54000-4

It's probably back up now.

Steve - It is up at the moment, but I'm not sure I found the right pic. This one says there is interference with the large case, but Brandon is going with the small case 3G. Is this the wrong one?

http://supermotors.net/getfile/565795/fullsize/alt01interfere.jpg

Steve - It is up at the moment, but I'm not sure I found the right pic. This one says there is interference with the large case, but Brandon is going with the small case 3G. Is this the wrong one?

Interesting, the 302/351 may have the interference, but the 460 does not, probably because the 460 still uses an adjustable alternator to tension the right side polygroove belt.

Gary,

Brandon is using a 130A alternator (large case) with the 7" C-C mounting.

Small case (95A) are 135(?)mm in diameter, while large case (130A) are 148mm in diameter.

The Windsor engines with a serpentine belt have a cast bracket with 7" centers.

Some of the webbing needs to be relieved in order for the larger case to fit.

RJM, and even GGM have the pics illustrating the difference.

130a-3g-2_1.jpg.b554d436df20910942852a2f21d1f479.jpg

Though this is a side mount alternator you can clearly see how the 130A version is much closer to the mounting points.

Perhaps Brandon can take some pics for you as he does the job?

A round nosed carbide burr in a die grinder makes quick work of this.