Bullnose Forum

Door Hinges

I hadn't seen my link, which does go to a 404 error 'cause there is no Documentation/Exterior/Door page. It apparently got merged into Documentation/Body/Door Hinges Checks & Weatherstrips? :nabble_anim_confused:

But I was talking about Steve's writeup here: http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?6884-Door-Alignment

Yes, I did see that write-up.

TBH, I'm not interested in completely disassembling my truck because the bushings are worn out.

I'll use a floor jack and a piece of 4x4 to support the door while I mess with hinges by trial and error.

Do you honestly think a body shop replacing a oilcanned door is going to pull the fender (and therefore the headlamp, grille, radiator support and hood... which all attach TO the fender) to get the door aligned?

..... I didn't think so.

Yes, I did see that write-up.

TBH, I'm not interested in completely disassembling my truck because the bushings are worn out.

I'll use a floor jack and a piece of 4x4 to support the door while I mess with hinges by trial and error.

Do you honestly think a body shop replacing a oilcanned door is going to pull the fender (and therefore the headlamp, grille, radiator support and hood... which all attach TO the fender) to get the door aligned?

..... I didn't think so.

That is, IF I have a door bottom to rest my door on the 4x4 with.

This will be another saga in Li'l Red's big adventures. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

• 6 months later...

That is, IF I have a door bottom to rest my door on the 4x4 with.

This will be another saga in Li'l Red's big adventures. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I know this older thread but...

Just got my truck. Doors close smoothly. Opening not as smooth. Ands whatever limits the travel is non existent. There is a little star wheel in there. Should be some sort of pin that riedes against to give it "stops" right? What do I need to look for in there? I really need to have some time to look at truck.

Dang work and less than beautiful weather is slowing me down...

Randy

I know this older thread but...

Just got my truck. Doors close smoothly. Opening not as smooth. Ands whatever limits the travel is non existent. There is a little star wheel in there. Should be some sort of pin that riedes against to give it "stops" right? What do I need to look for in there? I really need to have some time to look at truck.

Dang work and less than beautiful weather is slowing me down...

Randy

There is a little metal spring tab that breaks off.

Dormant sells a replacement.

There is a little metal spring tab that breaks off.

Dormant sells a replacement.

From what I see, mine has the S shaped wire/rod that rides against the star wheel - like the Ford passenger cars of the era. Not the flat spring piece. I need to see if hte passenger door is same and what's in it.

So many things that need to be done. Not even sure where to start. Fortunately, most of them are cosmetic and convenience items.

From what I see, mine has the S shaped wire/rod that rides against the star wheel - like the Ford passenger cars of the era. Not the flat spring piece. I need to see if hte passenger door is same and what's in it.

So many things that need to be done. Not even sure where to start. Fortunately, most of them are cosmetic and convenience items.

What year is your truck Randy?

What year is your truck Randy?

81. See photos. Drivers side looks like upside down version of pass side which does have the S part.

Also note striker...WTH??? I think that is a duct tape wrap. And the weatherstripping is completely ineffectual. Another project.

IMG_20210317_152011821.thumb.jpg.d151eac59f009fdc016723c830de13d5.jpg

IMG_20210317_151945876.thumb.jpg.aab4dde12a6c8be66e47cecc40660052.jpg

IMG_20210317_152044267.thumb.jpg.f8c31b9a56a7648c0fdef79bae676f7d.jpg

81. See photos. Drivers side looks like upside down version of pass side which does have the S part.

Also note striker...WTH??? I think that is a duct tape wrap. And the weatherstripping is completely ineffectual. Another project.

You don't have a signature with truck info and this thread didn't start about an '81. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

You call replace the strikers with later style ones that have replaceable plastic bushings

But if your door is sagging that bad and the holdopens are shot, I'd probably just replace the whole hinge.