Bullnose Forums

Vin - Location

ETM

Possibly, I've heard of that glove box tag. Actually, I may be able to check on that.Thanks........ Makes sense and would be consistent with this type tag having no mounting holes. Doesn't really help me get a true VIN plate with matching PA title, I was hoping someone said, "oh yeah in 86 the started gluing them on the dash".

Embossed rivets always.

If you know an auto body shop they would have them. 💡

(but you'd still need a proper tag)

I can check my book when I get off around 7am

Its interesting because the tag contains all the correct information, so its either a repo from a 3rd party (odd enough) or an OEM tag/plate, but its not consistent with anything anyone has seen on that period and model truck. If someone were making just a VIN plate for the truck, maybe related to a illegible plate, major repair at some point, or theft etc, why include the other data like a buck tag, just stamp the VIN like they all have from the Factory, its just weird. I'm hoping someone on here is able to shed some light on it. I may have another parts truck if I can't title it. I'm in PA and its like giving up your first born for a title

One item, you know the cab was changed, Ford relocated the riveted VIN tag in 1987, it was moved about 4" left so it could be read from the ground more easily. If a later cab was used (they fit through 1996/7) the VIN would be covered by the dash so even if it had been transferred it still would not be visible.

The tag you have is probably the one that was attached underhood on the drivers end of the firewall. Here is where mine is:

IMGP0917b.thumb.jpg.4f13cccb4e79e23e38449c13326fa8fe.jpg

One item, you know the cab was changed, Ford relocated the riveted VIN tag in 1987, it was moved about 4" left so it could be read from the ground more easily. If a later cab was used (they fit through 1996/7) the VIN would be covered by the dash so even if it had been transferred it still would not be visible.

The tag you have is probably the one that was attached underhood on the drivers end of the firewall. Here is where mine is:

Okay. I think we have a winner! :nabble_smiley_happy:

(Edit for side by side comparison)

20240105_070718.jpg.ec5e68fe362ec293a6aa13d0d9bcb0ec.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg.35ce0911c28e12b5e07a342b1e79af6f.jpg

Possibly, I've heard of that glove box tag. Actually, I may be able to check on that.Thanks........ Makes sense and would be consistent with this type tag having no mounting holes. Doesn't really help me get a true VIN plate with matching PA title, I was hoping someone said, "oh yeah in 86 the started gluing them on the dash".

a few of the trucks that I have had that came to me with manuals anmd papers had these aluminum vin strips also. I never looked into what they were but always assumed it was part of the build/ shipping process. A printing strip makes perfect sense to anyone who ever used a credit card the old-fashioned way.

a few of the trucks that I have had that came to me with manuals anmd papers had these aluminum vin strips also. I never looked into what they were but always assumed it was part of the build/ shipping process. A printing strip makes perfect sense to anyone who ever used a credit card the old-fashioned way.

As I recall our local hospital used the same type of thing to print (emboss) patient information onto documents.

These were normal credit card sized with notches on the bottom to be kept in a Rolodex.

Source: my grandmother worked in the hospital administration until her retirement in the late '70's

Triple carbon was a thing back then... 👴

I don't know if Marti can reproduce these things if you can provide documentation that it's legit

It might be an option.

I've never had to do it

They can do the Door tag, but I don't think they can door the VIN plate for the dash unfortunately.

They can do the Door tag, but I don't think they can door the VIN plate for the dash unfortunately.

I don't think they will do a VIN but they definitely could, because they have all the stamps and tooling from the factory to reproduce buck tags and the service writing tag you already have.

They also have the factory records and documentation to know everything about the cab you have, as well as the title you have.

Too bad the "Vermont Loophole" has been closed....

That used to be about the most expedient and cost effective way to get a legit title for a long abandoned vehicle.

Given that.... do you know a mechanic or towing company?

They can lien and get title to any VIN.

It may take 90 days or so, but they could, and would!, have valid (not scrap or reconstructed) title to a vehicle that "someone" abandoned owing money for fees, storage or repair.

I don't think they will do a VIN but they definitely could, because they have all the stamps and tooling from the factory to reproduce buck tags and the service writing tag you already have.

They also have the factory records and documentation to know everything about the cab you have, as well as the title you have.

Too bad the "Vermont Loophole" has been closed....

That used to be about the most expedient and cost effective way to get a legit title for a long abandoned vehicle.

Given that.... do you know a mechanic or towing company?

They can lien and get title to any VIN.

It may take 90 days or so, but they could, and would!, have valid (not scrap or reconstructed) title to a vehicle that "someone" abandoned owing money for fees, storage or repair.

Hmm, thats interesting. I'll look into that and see if its an option for me. Thanks