Bullnose Forums

Vin - Location

ETM

Bill - Not sure what you mean by "use a complete VIN". What did you have in mind?

As for the story, folks seem to think that since they've not seen it in their short lives it didn't happen. Gotta get out a bit more. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You have been just showing pieces of VINs, I have no problem if you want to dissect my full VIN for demonstration purposes. Darth is an import anyway.

• 4 years later...

Right - the ZF5 crossmember bolts into the original holes in the frame but is offset to the rear about an inch.

Perhaps we need a page on crossmembers? With pictures, part numbers, usage, etc?

Hello All,

New member to the group and thankful to have found. Looking forward to being able to both gain and add some value. I have a question about VIN plates. About a yr ago I purchased an 86 project f150, it was a Father son project that was started and not finished, lots of parts etc. Along the way, the cab was replaced, so the VIN plate on the cab was not the original truck they started out with. During the transaction, I knew this and I did get a VIN plate which was considered the VIN plate from the previous cab and matched the title I received. My question is, this VIN plate doesn't look like the other 80-86 plates I've seen. I reached out to the seller whom I don't feel had any deceptive intentions at all, and they did recall the plate being glued on the dash which now in hindsight was odd. All the plates I have seen are riveted on the dash. Curious to what everyone thinks, its clearly a F150 tag of sorts, just not sure where it came from or belongs on the truck . Im attaching a pic of the plate. Any thoughts are appreciated IMG_5350.jpg.658bd8feaf18d23a29e0454e62d0865c.jpg

Hello All,

New member to the group and thankful to have found. Looking forward to being able to both gain and add some value. I have a question about VIN plates. About a yr ago I purchased an 86 project f150, it was a Father son project that was started and not finished, lots of parts etc. Along the way, the cab was replaced, so the VIN plate on the cab was not the original truck they started out with. During the transaction, I knew this and I did get a VIN plate which was considered the VIN plate from the previous cab and matched the title I received. My question is, this VIN plate doesn't look like the other 80-86 plates I've seen. I reached out to the seller whom I don't feel had any deceptive intentions at all, and they did recall the plate being glued on the dash which now in hindsight was odd. All the plates I have seen are riveted on the dash. Curious to what everyone thinks, its clearly a F150 tag of sorts, just not sure where it came from or belongs on the truck . Im attaching a pic of the plate. Any thoughts are appreciated

That really doesn't look right. But you are correct, all the VIN plates I've seen have been riveted on, and with something like a hex-headed rivet.

Hello All,

New member to the group and thankful to have found. Looking forward to being able to both gain and add some value. I have a question about VIN plates. About a yr ago I purchased an 86 project f150, it was a Father son project that was started and not finished, lots of parts etc. Along the way, the cab was replaced, so the VIN plate on the cab was not the original truck they started out with. During the transaction, I knew this and I did get a VIN plate which was considered the VIN plate from the previous cab and matched the title I received. My question is, this VIN plate doesn't look like the other 80-86 plates I've seen. I reached out to the seller whom I don't feel had any deceptive intentions at all, and they did recall the plate being glued on the dash which now in hindsight was odd. All the plates I have seen are riveted on the dash. Curious to what everyone thinks, its clearly a F150 tag of sorts, just not sure where it came from or belongs on the truck . Im attaching a pic of the plate. Any thoughts are appreciated https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n144052/IMG_5350.jpg

Bummer! I missed that this was your first post. Welcome to the forum, but... you missed the email that said to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then post an introduction there before posting anywhere else.

We do that because we have our guidelines there and want you to have had every opportunity to read them as we will hold you to them.

So before discussing the VIN more please go read the guidelines and post an intro in that folder.

Hello All,

New member to the group and thankful to have found. Looking forward to being able to both gain and add some value. I have a question about VIN plates. About a yr ago I purchased an 86 project f150, it was a Father son project that was started and not finished, lots of parts etc. Along the way, the cab was replaced, so the VIN plate on the cab was not the original truck they started out with. During the transaction, I knew this and I did get a VIN plate which was considered the VIN plate from the previous cab and matched the title I received. My question is, this VIN plate doesn't look like the other 80-86 plates I've seen. I reached out to the seller whom I don't feel had any deceptive intentions at all, and they did recall the plate being glued on the dash which now in hindsight was odd. All the plates I have seen are riveted on the dash. Curious to what everyone thinks, its clearly a F150 tag of sorts, just not sure where it came from or belongs on the truck . Im attaching a pic of the plate. Any thoughts are appreciated https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n144052/IMG_5350.jpg

Bummer! I missed that this was your first post. Welcome to the forum, but... you missed the email that said to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then post an introduction there before posting anywhere else.

We do that because we have our guidelines there and want you to have had every opportunity to read them as we will hold you to them.

So before discussing the VIN more please go read the guidelines and post an intro in that folder.

Thanks, I did see it and reviewed the guidelines shortly after joining as the email directed, I just missed the part about completing an intro post. I went back and did an introduction. Thank you

Thanks, I did see it and reviewed the guidelines shortly after joining as the email directed, I just missed the part about completing an intro post. I went back and did an introduction. Thank you

We appreciate that.

It puts Gary at ease when he knows everybody has acknowledged the guidelines.

I can't say I've ever seen a tag glued in place.

Here where I live the main DMV office can emboss a replacement VIN and they are adhesive foil, so get destroyed if peeled off.

I'm not sure what the rules are where you reside.

We appreciate that.

It puts Gary at ease when he knows everybody has acknowledged the guidelines.

I can't say I've ever seen a tag glued in place.

Here where I live the main DMV office can emboss a replacement VIN and they are adhesive foil, so get destroyed if peeled off.

I'm not sure what the rules are where you reside.

Its interesting because the tag contains all the correct information, so its either a repo from a 3rd party (odd enough) or an OEM tag/plate, but its not consistent with anything anyone has seen on that period and model truck. If someone were making just a VIN plate for the truck, maybe related to a illegible plate, major repair at some point, or theft etc, why include the other data like a buck tag, just stamp the VIN like they all have from the Factory, its just weird. I'm hoping someone on here is able to shed some light on it. I may have another parts truck if I can't title it. I'm in PA and its like giving up your first born for a title

Its interesting because the tag contains all the correct information, so its either a repo from a 3rd party (odd enough) or an OEM tag/plate, but its not consistent with anything anyone has seen on that period and model truck. If someone were making just a VIN plate for the truck, maybe related to a illegible plate, major repair at some point, or theft etc, why include the other data like a buck tag, just stamp the VIN like they all have from the Factory, its just weird. I'm hoping someone on here is able to shed some light on it. I may have another parts truck if I can't title it. I'm in PA and its like giving up your first born for a title

My first thought was that it looked like a buck tag, but mine are more rectangular. (rad support, firewall, front of bed, and they're all screwed on in one corner.

Maybe it's just because I have a newer body style, but I don't think Ford would change those things.

My first thought was that it looked like a buck tag, but mine are more rectangular. (rad support, firewall, front of bed, and they're all screwed on in one corner.

Maybe it's just because I have a newer body style, but I don't think Ford would change those things.

You know.... I'm going to suggest that that tag came in the owners manual when first delivered.

The dealers would use a carbon printer like an old credit card machine to get all that information onto their service invoices.

You know.... I'm going to suggest that that tag came in the owners manual when first delivered.

The dealers would use a carbon printer like an old credit card machine to get all that information onto their service invoices.

Possibly, I've heard of that glove box tag. Actually, I may be able to check on that.Thanks........ Makes sense and would be consistent with this type tag having no mounting holes. Doesn't really help me get a true VIN plate with matching PA title, I was hoping someone said, "oh yeah in 86 the started gluing them on the dash".