Bullnose Forums

problems engaging 4x4 neutral and low

In my truck there is a rubber block that acts as a spring to prevent the shifter from moving sideways and being able to drop into the neutral gate.

If the rubber is petrified or the pivot rusted solid you won't be able to move the shifter sideways.

Maybe it just needs some cleaning or lubricant.

Jim - I think the BW1345 and NP208 use linkage that is all fore/aft and comes up through the transmission cover. But your BW1356 has the different linkage which pokes up through the side of the transmission hump Right?

That's why I've decided to put the built 1356 in Big Blue instead of Dad's truck as I don't want to cut the hump in Dad's truck.

Anyway, I don't think delco's truck has a rubber block/pivot in the linkage. But I may be wrong on that.

Jim - I think the BW1345 and NP208 use linkage that is all fore/aft and comes up through the transmission cover. But your BW1356 has the different linkage which pokes up through the side of the transmission hump Right?

That's why I've decided to put the built 1356 in Big Blue instead of Dad's truck as I don't want to cut the hump in Dad's truck.

Anyway, I don't think delco's truck has a rubber block/pivot in the linkage. But I may be wrong on that.

I did qualify my statement by saying "my truck", but yes, I imagine a 1981 truck might have a completely different linkage.

My truck has the range selector on top of the tunnel.

I don't think it was until the OBS, or at least the aeronose trucks that Ford had the second stick coming out the side of the tunnel.

I did qualify my statement by saying "my truck", but yes, I imagine a 1981 truck might have a completely different linkage.

My truck has the range selector on top of the tunnel.

I don't think it was until the OBS, or at least the aeronose trucks that Ford had the second stick coming out the side of the tunnel.

Jim - Yes, you did qualify it. I was actually seeking to understand. And I hate to side-track this discussion, but while we are on it...

I've looked at the illustrations, and it appears that there were four different transfer case shift mechanisms:

• 1980 - 86: All except SROD, and it comes through the transmission cover

• 1980 - 86: SROD only, and it comes through the transmission cover

• 1987: All, and it comes through the transmission cover

• 1988 & on: All, and it comes through the side of the hump

I've added the 1987 and the 1988 & on illustrations to this page: Driveline/Transfer Cases on the Linkage and then Illustration tabs. Would you check to see if you agree? I need to understand this for my plans. And, it might help with our discussion here.

Jim - Yes, you did qualify it. I was actually seeking to understand. And I hate to side-track this discussion, but while we are on it...

I've looked at the illustrations, and it appears that there were four different transfer case shift mechanisms:

• 1980 - 86: All except SROD, and it comes through the transmission cover

• 1980 - 86: SROD only, and it comes through the transmission cover

• 1987: All, and it comes through the transmission cover

• 1988 & on: All, and it comes through the side of the hump

I've added the 1987 and the 1988 & on illustrations to this page: Driveline/Transfer Cases on the Linkage and then Illustration tabs. Would you check to see if you agree? I need to understand this for my plans. And, it might help with our discussion here.

what does SROD mean?