Bullnose Forums

1985 f150 running issue while driving

So I took a gamble and threw a fuel pump at her local auto value had a Holley pump for 50 bucks. It started a heck of a lot better made it down the road 50 feet and it blew the fuse found that the choke heater must be shorted out because they share the same power source unhooked that and she has power now up to 4000 so fuel was my problem the old airtex pump was 8 years old must have been giving up on me or the choke short was giving it greif gonna hold on to the old pp for a spare. So now on to the ignition of there is a diagram for the ignition and what all the wires go to in the splices it would be much appreciated.

Glad to hear you've figured it out! :nabble_smiley_good:

And that it was just a cheap replacement.

Your ignition curve is controlled by a bunch of sensors, and the lookup table is in the EEC.

Short of a working computer, options are limited.

So once again you're looking at either a DSII conversion, or a one wire Dizzy

Both of these use mechanical + vacuum advance.

***I see a non-feedback YF in your future.

• 5 weeks later...

Your ignition curve is controlled by a bunch of sensors, and the lookup table is in the EEC.

So found part of my problem again the old girl started running like crapp and stalling. Found small leak in gas tank under strap while trying to find the problem dropped the tank and it had a mystery white sludge looking material floating through the gas not sure what it was but pretty sure it was vandalism so ended up using a new tank I had for a 95 but the carbed pick up would not work with it had to gut the efi pump to hooked the pickup to the straw where the efi pump was now having a prime problem with the pump keeps getting louder and truck dies does anyone know how those pums worked

So found part of my problem again the old girl started running like crapp and stalling. Found small leak in gas tank under strap while trying to find the problem dropped the tank and it had a mystery white sludge looking material floating through the gas not sure what it was but pretty sure it was vandalism so ended up using a new tank I had for a 95 but the carbed pick up would not work with it had to gut the efi pump to hooked the pickup to the straw where the efi pump was now having a prime problem with the pump keeps getting louder and truck dies does anyone know how those pums worked

I'm sorry, but I can't make heads or tails of your post. I think I understand that you found "stuff" in the tank so you used another tank you had for a '95. But then the fuel pickup for the 300, which has a carb, would not work with the '95 tank - because the opening in the '95 tank was too large for the 85's sending unit?

So you gutted the sending unit/pump combo that was for the '95, presumably by removing the pump. And about there I get lost. You say you "hooked the pickup to the straw". Do you mean you hooked the fuel hose going to the engine-mounted fuel pump to the tube sticking out of the 95's sending unit?

And then the pump "keeps getting louder and the truck dies". Is that the engine-mounted pump?

I hate to ask all of those questions, but what you typed does not make sense to me and I don't want to start problem solving until I understand what the problem really is.

I'm sorry, but I can't make heads or tails of your post. I think I understand that you found "stuff" in the tank so you used another tank you had for a '95. But then the fuel pickup for the 300, which has a carb, would not work with the '95 tank - because the opening in the '95 tank was too large for the 85's sending unit?

So you gutted the sending unit/pump combo that was for the '95, presumably by removing the pump. And about there I get lost. You say you "hooked the pickup to the straw". Do you mean you hooked the fuel hose going to the engine-mounted fuel pump to the tube sticking out of the 95's sending unit?

And then the pump "keeps getting louder and the truck dies". Is that the engine-mounted pump?

I hate to ask all of those questions, but what you typed does not make sense to me and I don't want to start problem solving until I understand what the problem really is.

I think he means he put the 'sock' on in place of the EFI pump.

But this means he has a four pin connector on top of the tank where he needs a two pin for just the sender, and the resistance OF the sender would be all wrong for '85 .

Maybe there is an air leak and the pump can't get prime?

Running dry will cause it to be loud.

I don't know if his Holley pump is impeller or check valve style.

I think he means he put the 'sock' on in place of the EFI pump.

But this means he has a four pin connector on top of the tank where he needs a two pin for just the sender, and the resistance OF the sender would be all wrong for '85 .

Maybe there is an air leak and the pump can't get prime?

Running dry will cause it to be loud.

I don't know if his Holley pump is impeller or check valve style.

Wouldn't he have an engine-mounted mechanical pump?

And if the sock went in place of the EFI pump, wouldn't it be too high?

As for he sender, I wasn't going to worry 'bout the gauge - yet. Yes, it'll be upside down and backwards.

Wouldn't he have an engine-mounted mechanical pump?

And if the sock went in place of the EFI pump, wouldn't it be too high?

As for he sender, I wasn't going to worry 'bout the gauge - yet. Yes, it'll be upside down and backwards.

I hooked the fuel line to the original pressure line port on top I plugged the return line to keep debris or watter out sealed that part good. Inside I took the pump out and broke the plastic so I could get at the bottom of the pressure line hooked that to the pipe inside the unit that goes down to a sqaur box on top of the sock where the sock meets the bottom the pipe was originally on the side by the pump I assume it's a pick up for the pump when the bowl is dry so it should have good suction but like I said it runs a few minutes and looses prime I have a Holley diaphragm pump that ticks when there dry silent when full

I hooked the fuel line to the original pressure line port on top I plugged the return line to keep debris or watter out sealed that part good. Inside I took the pump out and broke the plastic so I could get at the bottom of the pressure line hooked that to the pipe inside the unit that goes down to a sqaur box on top of the sock where the sock meets the bottom the pipe was originally on the side by the pump I assume it's a pick up for the pump when the bowl is dry so it should have good suction but like I said it runs a few minutes and looses prime I have a Holley diaphragm pump that ticks when there dry silent when full

Well, there's probably the problem - you can't pump for long from a sealed container. And by plugging the return you have a sealed container. The pump pulls some fuel out, which creates a vacuum, and no more fuel comes out.

Pull the gas cap and try running it with the cap off. If that fixes it then you've found the problem.

Well, there's probably the problem - you can't pump for long from a sealed container. And by plugging the return you have a sealed container. The pump pulls some fuel out, which creates a vacuum, and no more fuel comes out.

Pull the gas cap and try running it with the cap off. If that fixes it then you've found the problem.

The vent in the top of the tank is open and working also the cap is off I'm wondering if the opening in the straw is to small it looks bout the same as a 5/16 line or if it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the pump housing. Going to try adding gas this afternoon I put four gallons in from a dry tank. And I wired the sender into the factory harness the four wire is a solid conectors not removable gauge works as it should shows just over e

The vent in the top of the tank is open and working also the cap is off I'm wondering if the opening in the straw is to small it looks bout the same as a 5/16 line or if it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the pump housing. Going to try adding gas this afternoon I put four gallons in from a dry tank. And I wired the sender into the factory harness the four wire is a solid conectors not removable gauge works as it should shows just over e

The gauge shouldn't be able to work unless you swapped senders.

Bullnose to later trucks have completely different scales and read in reverse as well.

Supply should be 3/8", return 5/16.