Bullnose Forums

1985 f150 running issue while driving

A lot of this "will run up to X-RPM then loses power and wants to stall" sounds like a collapsed or clogged Catalytic converter.

"Runs better with the computer disconnected, or spout unplugged" points to a failed ECM.

Push Start TFT will run with locked timing with the computer not controlling the advance, but will die if it's in the loop.

Because spark is erratic or non existent.

If the PIP is going bad, even that won't work.

Got me on the "coil has five grounds and six power wires" thing though.

Just my two cents from what I can understand.....

I agree with you, Jim. But does he really have all of those problems or just one major problem, like the ECM going bad? We need to somehow diagnose this a bit better before he starts throwing money at it - like a new fuel pump.

I agree with you, Jim. But does he really have all of those problems or just one major problem, like the ECM going bad? We need to somehow diagnose this a bit better before he starts throwing money at it - like a new fuel pump.

I saw you say that in post 5, but I don't know if he has a noid light, or can diagnose a pip signal.

The struggle continues...

A lot of this "will run up to X-RPM then loses power and wants to stall" sounds like a collapsed or clogged Catalytic converter.

"Runs better with the computer disconnected, or spout unplugged" points to a failed ECM.

Push Start TFT will run with locked timing with the computer not controlling the advance, but will die if it's in the loop.

Because spark is erratic or non existent.

If the PIP is going bad, even that won't work.

Got me on the "coil has five grounds and six power wires" thing though.

Just my two cents from what I can understand.....

To unhook the computer I took the 10mm bolt out the center and pulled the whole plug off it. And wire collor is just strait brown

It would show the ground pulsing, yes.

Why don't you just get an HEI style one wire Dizzy?

Cheap & simple. :nabble_smiley_good:

How are the fuel pumps running without a computer?

I've never seen a one wire DISTRIBUTOR for a 300 6 and it has a on the frame aftermarket replacement for the mechanical pump that would be on the block. Runs on ignition hot from an oil pressure switch. The computer only controls the timing and something on the carb

I've never seen a one wire DISTRIBUTOR for a 300 6 and it has a on the frame aftermarket replacement for the mechanical pump that would be on the block. Runs on ignition hot from an oil pressure switch. The computer only controls the timing and something on the carb

All you need is compression, fuel and a consistent spark with advance, right?

https://swperformanceparts.com/HEI028BK/

I'd guess you need two wires if you have a tach.

All you need is compression, fuel and a consistent spark with advance, right?

https://swperformanceparts.com/HEI028BK/

So I took a gamble and threw a fuel pump at her local auto value had a Holley pump for 50 bucks. It started a heck of a lot better made it down the road 50 feet and it blew the fuse found that the choke heater must be shorted out because they share the same power source unhooked that and she has power now up to 4000 so fuel was my problem the old airtex pump was 8 years old must have been giving up on me or the choke short was giving it greif gonna hold on to the old pp for a spare. So now on to the ignition of there is a diagram for the ignition and what all the wires go to in the splices it would be much appreciated.

So I took a gamble and threw a fuel pump at her local auto value had a Holley pump for 50 bucks. It started a heck of a lot better made it down the road 50 feet and it blew the fuse found that the choke heater must be shorted out because they share the same power source unhooked that and she has power now up to 4000 so fuel was my problem the old airtex pump was 8 years old must have been giving up on me or the choke short was giving it greif gonna hold on to the old pp for a spare. So now on to the ignition of there is a diagram for the ignition and what all the wires go to in the splices it would be much appreciated.

Yippee! Progress! :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the wiring diagram, you need to learn how to use the menu to the hidden gems on the website. :nabble_smiley_wink:

If you go to Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM you'll see the contents of the 1985 Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, which has all of the wiring diagrams for the 1985 trucks. If you click on Start & Ignition (Gasoline Engines) you'll find the ignition diagrams, including this one:

1985-etm-page28-enhanced.thumb.jpg.26b2962eca1434e36e96f44241bd79e4.jpg