Bullnose Forums

Any Ford RV/ Motorhome experts on here?

.... I might try to get the thing up one some blocks...maybe some 2x8's or something, at least gain another couple inches of clearance...going to need it for the diff cover.

This is what I did for leveling my motorhome. I think they are 2x10s, about 18" long. You can't tell so well from the picture, but there are also 9" long pieces screwed to the bottom of one end of some of them so they sort of interlock. It's worked out pretty well, and it is very stable.

.... The guy I bought it from did tow with it...it's all set up with a heavy duty hitch and trailer brake controller, etc. He had been pulling a tandem axle car trailer with it, and through the Rockies too. I can't imagine...the thing must have been 50ft long all together....

Only 50 feet? That's nothin'! My pickup pulling my parents camper is 54 feet! (Somehow I think of Monty Python's "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch here: "Well we 'ad it tough...")

But seriously, maneuvering in parking lots as well as lane changes with a 20' truck pulling a 35' trailer is a bit of a challenge. And the maneuvering would be even worse if it was a 35' truck pulling a 20' trailer!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n58114/DSC_0367.jpg

The blocks look good. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sorry for the hijack, but this reminded me of a funny experience with my father. I'd gotten a pair of railroad ties and wanted to make ramps out of them. So we got his chain saw, figured out where to cut, and went to town. We got done cutting both ties and realized we'd made two sets of ramps. We looked at each other and rolled on the grass laughing! Not a word was said, and we didn't tell anyone - until now. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... I might try to get the thing up one some blocks...maybe some 2x8's or something, at least gain another couple inches of clearance...going to need it for the diff cover.

This is what I did for leveling my motorhome. I think they are 2x10s, about 18" long. You can't tell so well from the picture, but there are also 9" long pieces screwed to the bottom of one end of some of them so they sort of interlock. It's worked out pretty well, and it is very stable.

.... The guy I bought it from did tow with it...it's all set up with a heavy duty hitch and trailer brake controller, etc. He had been pulling a tandem axle car trailer with it, and through the Rockies too. I can't imagine...the thing must have been 50ft long all together....

Only 50 feet? That's nothin'! My pickup pulling my parents camper is 54 feet! (Somehow I think of Monty Python's "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch here: "Well we 'ad it tough...")

But seriously, maneuvering in parking lots as well as lane changes with a 20' truck pulling a 35' trailer is a bit of a challenge. And the maneuvering would be even worse if it was a 35' truck pulling a 20' trailer!

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n58114/DSC_0367.jpg

7 1/2"?

No landing gear on your RV?

That's exactly what I was planning to do in order to get more working room underneath. 18" with a 9" block on the bottom is a great idea. Mine is a little low in the front as it is. On the level concrete floor at work last weekend, I put a 2x8 under each front wheel, and it was then perfectly level. However, the whole thing is pretty low to the ground overall.

That is long!

I have a picture of this thing saved from the previous owner, and with the RV being 31ft, the trailer and accessories on it must be another 20ft at least (There's a dirtbike on a hitch on the back of the SUV). It would have been a PIG to drive like that...lol.

81245976_10157823266253622_6109754780022734848_n.jpg.ed966bb3c10f71362e5a8ee332a6418f.jpg

It got me thinking though...I could road trip and bring my Bullnose on a dolly, or even better yet bring home more junk while I was away somewhere...ha. The wife would be so impressed.

Interesting comment! My Bronco feels “lazy”, you have to give it a bit of pedal to get it to come out of lockup or to downshift. My 92 F250 didn’t feel that way, but it had 4.10 gearing, the Bronco has 3.55.

If I’m in open spaces, no traffic etc., I drive more aggressively sometimes and don’t notice it as much, it’s fun too!

This thing has 4.10 gears, but I don't really know what it weighs. They asked me at the DMV last week how much it weighed, and I had no idea. I know the GVWR is 11,500 lbs, so I guessed at 4500KG which would be close to 10,000 lbs. It was just a guess, but 4500KG was the tipping point...if I picked a pound above that, my registration was going to be another $100. I might run it over the scale this week just to find out.

But I'm getting used to the E4OD. This thing cruises along nicely, no problem there. It has lots of power. It just seems sometimes like it gets into OD to soon, and I have to kick it down hard to get some more power.

As for the E4OD, I'd for sure change the fluid, which might fix the leak. My experience is that the seal swell additive in ATF fails after a while, and new fluid revives that.

Gary,

While looking at E4OD filter and gasket kits, I came across these two selections...one for a shallow pan, and one for a deep pan. Do you know which vehicles got which?

Most of the brands show a picture of the shallow depth filter as standard, but AC Delco for some reason shows both.

e4od_pan.thumb.jpg.9e5cfa239147f99d969268623d72073e.jpg

As for the E4OD, I'd for sure change the fluid, which might fix the leak. My experience is that the seal swell additive in ATF fails after a while, and new fluid revives that.

Gary,

While looking at E4OD filter and gasket kits, I came across these two selections...one for a shallow pan, and one for a deep pan. Do you know which vehicles got which?

Most of the brands show a picture of the shallow depth filter as standard, but AC Delco for some reason shows both.

Cory - It looks like the difference is in 2wd vs 4wd, which is consistent with what I've seen on the C6.

E4OD_Oil_Filter__Gasket_Kit.thumb.jpg.08a4dae765331f0e6871737424c07ac8.jpg

This thing has 4.10 gears, but I don't really know what it weighs. They asked me at the DMV last week how much it weighed, and I had no idea. I know the GVWR is 11,500 lbs, so I guessed at 4500KG which would be close to 10,000 lbs. It was just a guess, but 4500KG was the tipping point...if I picked a pound above that, my registration was going to be another $100. I might run it over the scale this week just to find out.

But I'm getting used to the E4OD. This thing cruises along nicely, no problem there. It has lots of power. It just seems sometimes like it gets into OD to soon, and I have to kick it down hard to get some more power.

The way my 94 drove different may be one of the reasons why that tranny was so problematic. This E4OD in my Bronco has been great.

The way my 94 drove different may be one of the reasons why that tranny was so problematic. This E4OD in my Bronco has been great.

Push the button and turn the OD off at times?