Bullnose Forums

Any Ford RV/ Motorhome experts on here?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... Look on the hog head for number cast in.

Yeah, Dana axles have the model number cast into the housing. It's usually pretty big and pretty tall characters, so heavy gunk can obscure it, but they can be read easily with minor cleanup.

I think Dana 70. The snippet below is from our Documentation/Driveline/Axles page. And which that doesn't include stripped chassis truck, the MPC says the Dana 80 was rated at 11M.

application-chart-2_orig.thumb.jpg.9915e409d52581af1d51d5525bae6202.jpg

Try a rubbing before you bother to pull the bolt out.

7810 pounds...

Let me look if 60's go that high.

Cory, here’s some pictures of my 92 spec book. See if they help.

IMG_0592.thumb.jpg.a86e1be22f25f7394ae5097d1b963887.jpg

IMG_0594.thumb.jpg.55beab0368f89f09395f6f8d104b4779.jpg

IMG_0595.thumb.jpg.5af05076f8ba298ac976f6a50ca06163.jpg

And I actually got the pictures correct with an app!

Edit: I couldn’t find axle code 62.

Cory, here’s some pictures of my 92 spec book. See if they help.

And I actually got the pictures correct with an app!

Edit: I couldn’t find axle code 62.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm taking the RV to a truck shop today for it's first MVI. Part of the problem is that this thing came from out west where they don't have any vehicle inspections, and now that it is here, it has to pass an MVI every two years, and that means everything gets checked, from the brakes, to glass, lights right down to the licence plate light, exhaust, body, etc. They currently do not do emissions testing here, but they're big on safety. This thing is 27 years old and it has never been checked.:nabble_smiley_whistling:. However, it does have only 74,000 original miles on it.

The reason I was curious about the brakes on the DRW Dana 70 is that if it needs brake work, obviously they will quote me to do it. Otherwise, they slap a Rejection sticker on the windshield, and I'll have X-amount of time to do it myself...10 days or 2 weeks, or something like that. If the brakes are easy enough to do on this pig, I'll do them myself. If not, I'll let them do it while they have it on the hoist. Either way, I just needed some education on the topic so I knew enough to say whether I could do them myself or not.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm taking the RV to a truck shop today for it's first MVI. Part of the problem is that this thing came from out west where they don't have any vehicle inspections, and now that it is here, it has to pass an MVI every two years, and that means everything gets checked, from the brakes, to glass, lights right down to the licence plate light, exhaust, body, etc. They currently do not do emissions testing here, but they're big on safety. This thing is 27 years old and it has never been checked.:nabble_smiley_whistling:. However, it does have only 74,000 original miles on it.

The reason I was curious about the brakes on the DRW Dana 70 is that if it needs brake work, obviously they will quote me to do it. Otherwise, they slap a Rejection sticker on the windshield, and I'll have X-amount of time to do it myself...10 days or 2 weeks, or something like that. If the brakes are easy enough to do on this pig, I'll do them myself. If not, I'll let them do it while they have it on the hoist. Either way, I just needed some education on the topic so I knew enough to say whether I could do them myself or not.

They have a lift for a 31' motorhome at your inspection station?

Back when we had that type of inspection here it Connecticut, the MVD had a walk through pit.

Back when we had that type of inspection here it Connecticut, the MVD had a walk through pit.

That's a good question. Most heavy shops have hoists at least big enough to put tandem axle semi tractors on them...so the weight wouldn't be an issue with this thing, but the length might be. This thing feels like it's long as school bus...lol.

IMG_0626.jpg.67c91509d3734c067b75708c38c7c8cc.jpg

That's a good question. Most heavy shops have hoists at least big enough to put tandem axle semi tractors on them...so the weight wouldn't be an issue with this thing, but the length might be. This thing feels like it's long as school bus...lol.

It IS As long as a school bus!

There's F53 parts on U-techcenter, if you ever need an exhaust or crossmember, or something like that.

There's F53 parts on U-techcenter, if you ever need an exhaust or crossmember, or something like that.

I really want to replace the shocks, front swaybar bushings, and steering stabilizer. I think it would make a world of difference in how the old girl handles. In a straight line she's fine, but it feels like it's going to roll over in the corners...lol. It needs an alignment also. The shop I took it to does not do alignments unfortunately, and the shop they recommended won't do it .They are refusing to service RV's for time being due to Covid-19 issues (Since they don't know where they've been).

It might get a Rembrant with a piece of string alignment at home;).

I really want to replace the shocks, front swaybar bushings, and steering stabilizer. I think it would make a world of difference in how the old girl handles. In a straight line she's fine, but it feels like it's going to roll over in the corners...lol. It needs an alignment also. The shop I took it to does not do alignments unfortunately, and the shop they recommended won't do it .They are refusing to service RV's for time being due to Covid-19 issues (Since they don't know where they've been).

It might get a Rembrant with a piece of string alignment at home;).

Tons of steering, suspension and driveline components on there.

Mostly OEM.

I don't have specific part numbers to look for but maybe Dane can help you with that.