Bullnose Forums

Any Ford RV/ Motorhome experts on here?

If you get 8 MPG, Iā€™d be happy! :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Between picking it up and the little bit of running around I've done with it, I've now put 180 miles on it, and according to the gauge, I still haven't burned the 26.4 gallons I put in it, so it must be getting at least 7mpg. We'll see. I don't have high hopes in the MPG department, but I'll get it as good as I can.

I emailed Scott at Parkland for advice, and he was quick and to the point:

1. Set base timing at 13 deg with distributor disconnected.

2. Install a 180 deg high flow thermostat.

3. Install a low resistance air filter in the stock air cleaner.

4. Free flowing exhaust, preferably with headers.

5. Buy his 460 top end kit.

Do any or all of those mods in that order. I will definitely be doing items 1 through 3, and not likely ever do 4 and 5. This thing is an RV after all...lol. I don't want to hotrod it, I just want it to work it's very best.

Scotty is quite helpful. I've been very pleased with his help.

If you get 8 MPG, Iā€™d be happy! :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Between picking it up and the little bit of running around I've done with it, I've now put 180 miles on it, and according to the gauge, I still haven't burned the 26.4 gallons I put in it, so it must be getting at least 7mpg. We'll see. I don't have high hopes in the MPG department, but I'll get it as good as I can.

I emailed Scott at Parkland for advice, and he was quick and to the point:

1. Set base timing at 13 deg with distributor disconnected.

2. Install a 180 deg high flow thermostat.

3. Install a low resistance air filter in the stock air cleaner.

4. Free flowing exhaust, preferably with headers.

5. Buy his 460 top end kit.

Do any or all of those mods in that order. I will definitely be doing items 1 through 3, and not likely ever do 4 and 5. This thing is an RV after all...lol. I don't want to hotrod it, I just want it to work it's very best.

Banks makes a lot of money selling headers and exhaust kits for RV's.... for a reason.

CI manifolds hold a lot of heat and restrict flow keeping heat from going on its merry way.

Especially with your foot to the floor for hours and hours.

While it may not be in your future, Scott is right on track with his advice. šŸ‘

Banks makes a lot of money selling headers and exhaust kits for RV's.... for a reason.

Speaking of Banks, what exactly does this kit below do anyway?

https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Power-49216-Ram-Air-Intake-System-p/49216.htm

Um, conveniently oils your intake charge temp sensor? :nabble_anim_confused:

Notice it's SO good at that, that it can't be used ahead of a MAF.

K&N's do flow, but they need to get really dirty before they filter as well as a paper element.

K&N's do flow, but they need to get really dirty before they filter as well as a paper element.

Haha, well I know what the filter does...:nabble_smiley_good:

What is the airbox cover for? Just a visual thing?

Why would one buy this kit over just a filter? Is Banks making their own filters?

Haha, well I know what the filter does...:nabble_smiley_good:

What is the airbox cover for? Just a visual thing?

Why would one buy this kit over just a filter? Is Banks making their own filters?

I think it's oversized to hold the element (that likely has another application)

It's also good advertising to have their name in bold letters front and center on your engine.

As I mentioned above, Scott suggested a less restrictive air filter.

Are there options other than K&N or a K&N style filter for this?>..

A paper element filter is a paper element filter...don't they all flow about the same?

Ā 

A paper element filter is a paper element filter...don't they all flow about the same?

Before you use a K&N filter check this out and then make your decision:

Before you use a K&N filter check this out and then make your decision:

That was quite a good video I must say. Thanks for sharing. I'm not real keen on K&N filters anyway, so I'd not likely ever install one. I can see their benefit on race engines that are getting torn down all the time anyway, but on a low revving street machine, there's not much sense really.

Found this decal in one of the manuals last night. Kind of odd. Don't know where it was supposed to be. I guess to indicate that it was set up as an RV chassis and not something else....but at 31ft, it's not like it would end up being anything else either...

IMG_0481.jpg.607af97081ec84261fb3cca010c84531.jpg