Bullnose Forums

NOS Dealer Installed CC FORD F2TZ-9A818-A

Gentlemen,

This NOS cruise control kit showed up fairly close to me and I'm wondering if it would be adapted to fit my 1984 Holley carbed 302 without too much trouble? I know the throttle cable would be meant for EFI, but is this a stand alone kit that would work on a carbed truck, or is it meant to somehow interface with the EFI system? I'd like to buy it if it will work for me. I seem to recall Steve83 saying that the later cruise systems will work on the older trucks.

It is listed as Dealer Installed cruise control kit fitting 1992-1996 F150, p/n FORD F2TZ-9A818-A. The guy says he bought it 12 years ago and no longer has the truck it was intended for.

44898883_10161011296140593_6309345694134042624_n.jpg.73730144067cea3f367644fd0820e524.jpg

44876429_10161011296200593_3771543617366130688_n.jpg.7fe9f4f9db00caebb80bdb07674713fd.jpg

44755801_10161011296265593_4619907174242451456_n.jpg.c659153a244b20d9ae0a7483c01d1421.jpg

44746040_10161011296310593_6537773753110102016_n.jpg.b7ab4831fa4e13f276b7f57db25271aa.jpg

Any comments good or bad?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think it will work as it doesn't have the speedometer cable input like the ones for our trucks. I think that one is set up for the electronic speedometer.

However, you can add the electronic module to your truck and wire from it to the cruise control. I have a one of those modules, and it goes into the transmission/transfer case where the speedo cable goes. Your speedo cable still connects to it, but you also have the digital output.

With that, it might work. But let me do some more sleuthing when I get to the shop. I have the 1996 EVTM and it'll show how that thing is wired and we will know if it needs the EFI.

I don't think it will work as it doesn't have the speedometer cable input like the ones for our trucks. I think that one is set up for the electronic speedometer.

However, you can add the electronic module to your truck and wire from it to the cruise control. I have a one of those modules, and it goes into the transmission/transfer case where the speedo cable goes. Your speedo cable still connects to it, but you also have the digital output.

With that, it might work. But let me do some more sleuthing when I get to the shop. I have the 1996 EVTM and it'll show how that thing is wired and we will know if it needs the EFI.

Gary,

I already have the electronic output module that goes into the trans as I was going to use it for an aftermarket cruise control anyway. I had already confirmed that it will work perfectly for what I wanted to use it for, but this Ford kit came up and it is pretty cheap, so if it were to work, I'd grab it.

Gary,

I already have the electronic output module that goes into the trans as I was going to use it for an aftermarket cruise control anyway. I had already confirmed that it will work perfectly for what I wanted to use it for, but this Ford kit came up and it is pretty cheap, so if it were to work, I'd grab it.

I thought the speed sensor for 92-96 was on the rear diff., if that matters.

Doesn't look like what I have on my 1986, but perhaps you could make it work.

I thought the speed sensor for 92-96 was on the rear diff., if that matters.

Doesn't look like what I have on my 1986, but perhaps you could make it work.

There's another of these things on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1993-1994-1995-1996-FORD-F150-F250-F350-BRONCO-CRUISE-CONTROL-ASSEMBLY-KIT/392070148041?hash=item5b4933afc9:g:cQ0AAOSwv0tVTXXy

And, I added the pages from the 1996 EVTM here: Electrical/Speed Control. It does look like the speed control module takes its input from the Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM), and that gets its input from the rear axle. But I don't know if you can substitute the output for the module plugged into the tranny for the rear axle's input and make it work.

But, the steering wheel controls look to be the same as the Bullnose controls.

Perhaps Bill knows as he's been into this?

Oh wow...I have no interest in paying that kind of money...the kit for sale locally is like $50 bucks, which is why it caught my eye. If I have to spend real money, I'll just buy a Rostra CC kit that I'm familiar with and know works well.

Maybe Steve83 will comment. I seem to recall him talking about these CC retrofits...could be wrong though.

Oh wow...I have no interest in paying that kind of money...the kit for sale locally is like $50 bucks, which is why it caught my eye. If I have to spend real money, I'll just buy a Rostra CC kit that I'm familiar with and know works well.

Maybe Steve83 will comment. I seem to recall him talking about these CC retrofits...could be wrong though.

I only posted that link to show what they are selling for elsewhere.

As for Steve83, he surely knows more than I do, so hopefully he'll chime in. Here's what I found he said with regard to "speed control": http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/My-1984-F150-2wd-Flareside-Project-Blue-Mule-tp4515p19974.html

As for Steve83, he surely knows more than I do, so hopefully he'll chime in. Here's what I found he said with regard to "speed control": http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/My-1984-F150-2wd-Flareside-Project-Blue-Mule-tp4515p19974.html

Oh...I think I found his comments that I was thinking of in the parts interchange thread, and he was referring to swapping a cruise (speed control equipped) steering column (pre-92) with any pre-92 truck...

Not the speed control system itself, just the column...

And it was pre-92 anyway, so....

This is probably a wash.

Oh...I think I found his comments that I was thinking of in the parts interchange thread, and he was referring to swapping a cruise (speed control equipped) steering column (pre-92) with any pre-92 truck...

Not the speed control system itself, just the column...

And it was pre-92 anyway, so....

This is probably a wash.

There's nothing about the cruise system that's dependent on EFI. No matter where the speed signal comes from (cable, rear diff, transmission, or aftermarket sensor), it has to become electronic before it goes to the cruise module, and most modules will accept most signals. So that module isn't dependent on any specific sensor. It doesn't look like it even includes a speed sensor, which further suggests it will accept many signals. The '87-04 8.8" ABS sensor put out 108 pulses per rev, which is what the '92-97 PSOM used to generate a standard 8,000 pulses-per-mile VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) for other modules to use (including both the pre-'93 cruise module, & the '93-04 cruise servo). Older factory vacuum cruise systems used a 6 pulse-per-rev sensor on the speedo cable (except '92), which if you do the math, is very close to 108 pulses on the rear axle. So the systems will work with each other's sensors.

I can't say for sure about that one since it's not factory & I don't have its technical specs, but I assume that it was built to use the same ABS sensor input, so it should work with either sensor (ABS or speedo cable). This shows the factory '92 circuits (unique because it's the vacuum system driven by the PSOM input):

https://supermotors.net/getfile/494370/thumbnail/cruisevacuum92circuit.jpg

There are 2 cable sensors: the inline (pre~'87) which is relatively UNreliable and hard to find in working condition; and the more-common & -reliable '87-91 sensor that goes at the bottom end of the cable. The sensor was actually used on MANY more vehicles & applications (often with its cable output hole blocked off), so it's fairly easy to find used or new.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/71674/thumbnail/vss-2.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/185339/thumbnail/vss.jpg

In short: I'd take the chance for $50. If it doesn't work for you, I expect you can get most of your money back when you sell it, if you don't turn a profit (based on the price Gary found).

In short: I'd take the chance for $50. If it doesn't work for you, I expect you can get most of your money back when you sell it, if you don't turn a profit (based on the price Gary found).

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. I may grab it to see if it can be made to work. I already have the speed sensor that mounts on the trans, so maybe this wouldn't be so difficult to make work.