Bullnose Forums

Salan's 1980 Something

salans7

Wowza!

Nice that you have a neighbor to help!

Yes, that certainly IS nice to have a neighbor that will help! We have good neighbors, but they are busy and seem to rarely be around. So I feel badly about asking for help.

Anyway, you are making progress. But what are you going to do about the rear cab crossmember? How bad is it?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that certainly IS nice to have a neighbor that will help! We have good neighbors, but they are busy and seem to rarely be around. So I feel badly about asking for help.

Anyway, you are making progress. But what are you going to do about the rear cab crossmember? How bad is it?

Is Shaun talking about the frame cross member or the rib across the back of the cab, where he's already made some repairs? :nabble_anim_confused:

Is Shaun talking about the frame cross member or the rib across the back of the cab, where he's already made some repairs? :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks guys! My neighbor is a shade tree mechanic himself and does his own maintenance, and I've helped him with automotive things numerous times. We pay it forward back and forth!

Gary, I'm still in the process of coming up with a plan. You can't really see into that crossmember from inside nor outside, aside from the rubber plugs near each body mount bolt. I can only go by the areas that have rusted through, and the pinholes. I know for sure that I need to do both areas that touch the body mount, as well as a spot on the passenger side. I'll take some quick pictures and post them so you can see.

Jim, it is the cab crossmember that the rear cab mount bolts pass through. The sheet metal that touches the body mounts has some rust issues, hence the need to flip the cab this way. There's a few more small issues along the crossmember that need to be addressed as well.

Along the passenger side near the seat belt mount:

Screenshot_2023-12-11_180937.jpg.c6befa22e42bd7505ebe0dfc7bf997b8.jpg

Passenger side body mount surface:

Screenshot_2023-12-11_181016.jpg.92aede7501cc238515882578bd68431b.jpg

And the worst one, the driver's side body mount surface:

Screenshot_2023-12-11_181101.jpg.4b67acdde5f9cdd21df1f86ab750eff1.jpg

Thanks guys! My neighbor is a shade tree mechanic himself and does his own maintenance, and I've helped him with automotive things numerous times. We pay it forward back and forth!

Gary, I'm still in the process of coming up with a plan. You can't really see into that crossmember from inside nor outside, aside from the rubber plugs near each body mount bolt. I can only go by the areas that have rusted through, and the pinholes. I know for sure that I need to do both areas that touch the body mount, as well as a spot on the passenger side. I'll take some quick pictures and post them so you can see.

Jim, it is the cab crossmember that the rear cab mount bolts pass through. The sheet metal that touches the body mounts has some rust issues, hence the need to flip the cab this way. There's a few more small issues along the crossmember that need to be addressed as well.

Along the passenger side near the seat belt mount:

Passenger side body mount surface:

And the worst one, the driver's side body mount surface:

I had to make a Framesaver for my passenger side but fortunately the cab itself was solid.

You're doing a great job getting that cab back in shape! :nabble_smiley_good:

I had to make a Framesaver for my passenger side but fortunately the cab itself was solid.

I can see some flaking coming from under my cab mounts, so I will be separating those and seeing how bad it is on the frame. Hopefully I won't need frame savers. This wasn't a northern truck, so I can't imagine it could be that bad but I don't know what they had in the cab that got into the cab crossmember and caused all of this damage.

Thanks for the positive encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...

I can see some flaking coming from under my cab mounts, so I will be separating those and seeing how bad it is on the frame. Hopefully I won't need frame savers. This wasn't a northern truck, so I can't imagine it could be that bad but I don't know what they had in the cab that got into the cab crossmember and caused all of this damage.

Thanks for the positive encouragement!

After some daily driver troubles and some inclement weather, I finally tore into my rusty cab crossmember. It's not as bad as I initially thought and should be a pretty quick fix. It did get into the hidden support a little as shown in the below photo, but it is mainly surface pitting and didn't go up into the void.

The passenger side is even better and will only require a small patch to the rotten sheet metal.

413857519_10224112900585378_8845946834243172070_n.thumb.jpg.e63ea56d50b044bfdbe20945861ed522.jpg

After some daily driver troubles and some inclement weather, I finally tore into my rusty cab crossmember. It's not as bad as I initially thought and should be a pretty quick fix. It did get into the hidden support a little as shown in the below photo, but it is mainly surface pitting and didn't go up into the void.

The passenger side is even better and will only require a small patch to the rotten sheet metal.

Progress is Good!!! :nabble_smiley_good:

Be very thankful you don't have New England's salty winters. 😉

You got lucky! That should clean up/repair nicely. :nabble_anim_claps:

Well I didn't get as much done as I wanted to this weekend thanks to lack of motivation, but I finally kicked myself enough to get out there and fix the inner support for the driver's rear cab mount. I cut out the small area that had rusted through and welded in a patch. The other section was only slightly pitted, so I ground it out and then filled it with weld rather than doing another patch.

I do need some tips though. The overlay patch I will be doing won't be welded to the support (unless I decide to plug weld it). Should I just coat the inner support with weld-thru primer and then weld in the overlay patch, or is there some other type of coating I should spray the inner support with? I'm not sure what the factory coated this support with, but it definitely isn't bare metal.

Screenshot_2023-12-25_185559.jpg.1ca37dbb21f2a651c2ddac6b779532af.jpg