Bullnose Forums

Salan's 1980 Something

salans7

The picture is kind of dark for me, but I like the look!

Thanks guys!

My future posts on this build thread will be limited due to burn out. I have been on forums for over ten years of my life, and I'm just burnt out. That's a huge chunk of time to dedicate to something, and I can't help but wish I had spent more of it working on the trucks I post about. Progress doesn't happen unless you get out and do it, and with three trucks that need attention, it's hard for me to justify hanging around on the internet any longer. I still hope to pop in on the main forum every once in awhile, but I don't think I'll be posting this truck much here unless something big happens.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

My future posts on this build thread will be limited due to burn out. I have been on forums for over ten years of my life, and I'm just burnt out. That's a huge chunk of time to dedicate to something, and I can't help but wish I had spent more of it working on the trucks I post about. Progress doesn't happen unless you get out and do it, and with three trucks that need attention, it's hard for me to justify hanging around on the internet any longer. I still hope to pop in on the main forum every once in awhile, but I don't think I'll be posting this truck much here unless something big happens.

So with the recent addition of my welder, rust repair is now something I can tackle on my own.

Speaking of DIY rust repair, I am currently working on removing a previous owner's rust repairs. Rather than replace the rusty sections with aftermarket patch panels stamped to fit these trucks, they chose to make their own out of sheet steel. They crudely bent them to loosely match the shape of the rocker, and then tack welded it all in place. This simply acted as a cover for the rusted section and was not actually a repair. Because this was a cover, it was not properly sealed and dirt was piled up below it, causing the rocker to rust out further after the repair.

I thought based on what they did that the rockers were in rough shape, but they aren't even bad at all. It's just some http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg rigging that we're pretty used to down here.

I still have to tackle the passenger side this weekend, but it's much of the same. I'm glad to know the rust isn't that bad, but I'm also frustrated that they essentially caused me more work by not repairing this right the first time.

DSCN2573.jpg.68a9dfc497cd098d8cb41995f1f99531.jpg

DSCN2574.jpg.952d855a47648825e258bed75f5a1005.jpg

So with the recent addition of my welder, rust repair is now something I can tackle on my own.

Speaking of DIY rust repair, I am currently working on removing a previous owner's rust repairs. Rather than replace the rusty sections with aftermarket patch panels stamped to fit these trucks, they chose to make their own out of sheet steel. They crudely bent them to loosely match the shape of the rocker, and then tack welded it all in place. This simply acted as a cover for the rusted section and was not actually a repair. Because this was a cover, it was not properly sealed and dirt was piled up below it, causing the rocker to rust out further after the repair.

I thought based on what they did that the rockers were in rough shape, but they aren't even bad at all. It's just some :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: rigging that we're pretty used to down here.

I still have to tackle the passenger side this weekend, but it's much of the same. I'm glad to know the rust isn't that bad, but I'm also frustrated that they essentially caused me more work by not repairing this right the first time.

Cool! It’ll be nice when you’re done.

I thought based on what they did that the rockers were in rough shape, but they aren't even bad at all. It's just some :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: rigging that we're pretty used to down here.

Well thank you for the update Shaun!

Your Florida floors look good from up here in snow country! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Those pinch welds the weather seal slips on always hold water and rot out.

The more mud, sand, muck in there the longer they take to dry out.

Glad you have a welder and can begin to address it! :nabble_smiley_good:

Your Florida floors look good from up here in snow country! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Glad you are going to do it right.

By the way, did you get my email about two weeks ago? We were coming through your area and wondered if you were available.

By the way, did you get my email about two weeks ago? We were coming through your area and wondered if you were available.

Thanks guys! Rust repair held me back on my F150, and I'm glad that isn't the case with this truck. I've been busy practicing weld techniques with the sheet metal scraps I've removed from this truck so that I can do a mostly professional job. Even a semi-professional job would be better than what the previous owner did.

Gary, I completely missed it but have since replied. My apologies.

Thanks guys! Rust repair held me back on my F150, and I'm glad that isn't the case with this truck. I've been busy practicing weld techniques with the sheet metal scraps I've removed from this truck so that I can do a mostly professional job. Even a semi-professional job would be better than what the previous owner did.

Gary, I completely missed it but have since replied. My apologies.

No problem, Shaun. I got your email and replied awa sent you a text. :nabble_smiley_good:

I ran the history report for this truck and it spent it's entire life in the county where I work, so that explains why it's relatively rust free. But it was a work truck, so that explains why it has some rust. But the floors under your feet are immaculate, so it's really not that bad. And everything that's rusted can be bought in aftermarket panels, with exception to the back of the cab which I'll probably try and source from another truck but can always hand form since it's at the bottom edge anyway.

I've always struggled to understand how the rocker repair panels go together on these trucks, but I'm starting to see now. Should be a pretty quick repair, but I'll be making sure I neutralize any surface rust and protect from any further rust.

I ran the history report for this truck and it spent it's entire life in the county where I work, so that explains why it's relatively rust free. But it was a work truck, so that explains why it has some rust. But the floors under your feet are immaculate, so it's really not that bad. And everything that's rusted can be bought in aftermarket panels, with exception to the back of the cab which I'll probably try and source from another truck but can always hand form since it's at the bottom edge anyway.

I've always struggled to understand how the rocker repair panels go together on these trucks, but I'm starting to see now. Should be a pretty quick repair, but I'll be making sure I neutralize any surface rust and protect from any further rust.

Tackled the passenger side today. It was much of the same, but the rust is a little worse on the kick panel lower edge. Gonna have to get creative with that one since I can see it made it further inside the body than I can reach.

I hit all of the rust with a reformer and then coated it all in primer and paint to keep it protected until I get the repair panels in (and practice more with sheet metal).

DSCN2575.jpg.5359e58384aa5b3a4a4ca36184168d73.jpg

DSCN2576.jpg.61423a17e844ca7dcf58d54a30ea2b62.jpg

Below is all of the sheet steel they used to cover the rust. Luckily the welds were poor, so it wasn't hard to get it all off. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

DSCN2577.jpg.35cf19e64b004d7a26a8663987e0cc04.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tackled the passenger side today. It was much of the same, but the rust is a little worse on the kick panel lower edge. Gonna have to get creative with that one since I can see it made it further inside the body than I can reach.

I hit all of the rust with a reformer and then coated it all in primer and paint to keep it protected until I get the repair panels in (and practice more with sheet metal).

Below is all of the sheet steel they used to cover the rust. Luckily the welds were poor, so it wasn't hard to get it all off. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Well, I decided to pull the interior back out of the truck. First reason is due to the rodent that chewed at the foam on my a/c doors (not the Detroit Muscle Kit thankfully) and second is because I need to repair the rust at the firewall base and one spot in the cowl. It's all just easier to do with the interior stripped down. I also want to weld out my dash mounts a little more because they were originally just tacked and bolted in, and I want them to be more secure. Plenty of work ahead of me, and I'm trying not to sleep on it.

DSCN2585.jpg.c328245616203a01e72c2e5a1b46b6b7.jpg

I was doing some work on my red Ranger the other day, and it reminded me of an old photo I took years ago. Same spot, four different trucks. I still have the white Ranger (although it looks way different), but the F150 is long gone. :nabble_smiley_sad:

DSCN2572.jpg.6046f2dce3fbc8ca04fcb61e09cf11fe.jpg

GEDC5067.jpg.7d71efd38057d1cdf60af4dd19db7788.jpg