Bullnose Forums

Salan's 1980 Something

salans7

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I believe so as well! I'm running 35's on my little Ranger and I like the look.

Well I haven't done anything major in quite some time on this truck, other than removing the 255/302/351W engine perches from the frame a few weeks ago.

Tonight I decided to start tearing down the 460 so I can see what I'm working with. To sum it up, I like what I see. Most everything looks like what I would expect a 170,000 mile (estimated) engine to look like. I'm down to the block and everything inside it, and have thus far only found one big issue and that's a scratch in the #1 cylinder bore. Something got in there at some point and was only in there long enough to scratch the cylinder wall and nick the piston. I will have to talk to the machine shop regarding the scratch to see what kind of hone or overbore I'll be looking at to remedy it. This weekend I'll pull the cam and the crankshaft and hope that I find no damage on the crankshaft.

DSCN2246.jpg.4dd40b9694ddb60ca033abe21941408b.jpg

Screenshot_20201106-233933_Gallery.thumb.jpg.cb428efaafbcc9f8659ad796e2d6f0a7.jpg

Screenshot_20201106-233945_Gallery.thumb.jpg.317671af70d8e0df365387d50369bd53.jpg

Well I haven't done anything major in quite some time on this truck, other than removing the 255/302/351W engine perches from the frame a few weeks ago.

Tonight I decided to start tearing down the 460 so I can see what I'm working with. To sum it up, I like what I see. Most everything looks like what I would expect a 170,000 mile (estimated) engine to look like. I'm down to the block and everything inside it, and have thus far only found one big issue and that's a scratch in the #1 cylinder bore. Something got in there at some point and was only in there long enough to scratch the cylinder wall and nick the piston. I will have to talk to the machine shop regarding the scratch to see what kind of hone or overbore I'll be looking at to remedy it. This weekend I'll pull the cam and the crankshaft and hope that I find no damage on the crankshaft.

That’s nice! Good engine!

Shaun - Is that the extent of the scratch? Is it all above the travel of the top ring? If so, it needs to be smoothed so there are no sharp edges to cause detonation, but otherwise there shouldn't be a problem.

But you are still going to bore it, right? Honing alone won't make the cylinders round, and they are almost sure to have taper.

Shaun - Is that the extent of the scratch? Is it all above the travel of the top ring? If so, it needs to be smoothed so there are no sharp edges to cause detonation, but otherwise there shouldn't be a problem.

But you are still going to bore it, right? Honing alone won't make the cylinders round, and they are almost sure to have taper.

Gary, it can't cause detonation if it's below the height of the piston.

I *think* these trucks are 0.040 in the hole with the D9 block.

But you can see the clean bore where the compression ring rides, and unfortunately the nick is below that.

But you can see the clean bore where the compression ring rides, and unfortunately the nick is below that.

Good points, Jim. I missed that. :nabble_smiley_blush:

^Yep, scratch is below the upper ring's travel.

I'm hoping a .010 overbore will take care of it, but won't know for sure until it's at the machine shop. Definitely gonna have it bored even if there wasn't a crack because it may be tapered. I don't have the proper tools to measure that, so will have to leave it to the machine shop.

My overall plans for the thing are relatively minor, my first intent to is to de-smog it with a new cam, new heads, upgraded valvetrain, re-curved distributor, etc. I may throw some performance parts in to make it a little spicy, but I'm not trying to build an 800hp mud truck either. I figure if the engine is running around 220 HP stock (give or take), I would be happy with around 400 HP max. I don't want to start messing with the oiling system or modifying this to make that fit.