Bullnose Forums

Salan's 1980 Something

salans7

Finally have a rear bumper once again. Just need to clean it up a little more, rust proof the inside, re-caulk the step plate and she'll be good to go.

Hopefully in the next few weeks my RSK will be in and I can start putting the truck back on all four wheels. Then I can start work on drivetrain things! :nabble_smiley_good:

That frame looks so nice.

They rust and break in two here...lol. Many of them by the mid 1990's.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That frame looks so nice.

They rust and break in two here...lol. Many of them by the mid 1990's.

It's really nice crawling under the truck and not having rust fall on my face each time I clang a ratchet against something. Even my F150 with just surface rust was bad about that.

Even here in Florida I've seen some absolutely beautiful trucks in the junkyard that look like they have no business being there. But when you look under them, their origin becomes clear because the frame is trashed and the floorboards are basically gone. It's a sad sight to see.

It's really nice crawling under the truck and not having rust fall on my face each time I clang a ratchet against something. Even my F150 with just surface rust was bad about that.

Even here in Florida I've seen some absolutely beautiful trucks in the junkyard that look like they have no business being there. But when you look under them, their origin becomes clear because the frame is trashed and the floorboards are basically gone. It's a sad sight to see.

I walked by a 2010 F150 at the junkyard a few months ago, and it was rusted badly. Bubbles all over the area above the rear fender arches. Rotten cab corners, and rocker panels. Frame and underside rusted bad too. It was a work truck obviously, so it was used and abused, but to be sitting in the junkyard all rusted out in only 9-10 years is bad.

It likely also had a bad mechanical problem...engine or trans maybe, and with the rust wasn't worth fixing.

Your truck is WEIRD! :nabble_smiley_evil:

So, it has both an '87 frame and '87 door strikers? What else? What was the production date on it?

Found a photo of the cert label, the truck was assembled in April of 86 so it's not even a later build. So it's interesting that it already had an E7TE stamping in the frame.

Your truck is WEIRD! :nabble_smiley_evil:

So, it has both an '87 frame and '87 door strikers? What else? What was the production date on it?

Found a photo of the cert label, the truck was assembled in April of 86 so it's not even a later build. So it's interesting that it already had an E7TE stamping in the frame.

Yes, that makes it even more interesting. :nabble_anim_confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Woo Hoo!

At least you have a detailed tutorial.... :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Ahemmm….

Microanalysis. :nabble_anim_blbl:

The better news is that my frame is straight and the crossmember slips right on so I can skip about 60 of those 80 pages. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I noticed that the upper oval shaped holes in the crossmember line up with already existing holes in my frame. I was worried I would have to measure one hundred times since I don't have the original shackle reference on my 4x2 frame. But it looks like it won't be necessary provided I get the rear shackle hangers in the right spot, and I will thanks to the measurements Gary took of his stock shackle hangers.

81457931_2701783076602007_6609054370384314368_o.thumb.jpg.dbee4e4c389373f37c9f6d3e6b7bdeb1.jpg

Woo Hoo!

At least you have a detailed tutorial.... :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Ahemmm….

Microanalysis. :nabble_anim_blbl:

The better news is that my frame is straight and the crossmember slips right on so I can skip about 60 of those 80 pages. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I noticed that the upper oval shaped holes in the crossmember line up with already existing holes in my frame. I was worried I would have to measure one hundred times since I don't have the original shackle reference on my 4x2 frame. But it looks like it won't be necessary provided I get the rear shackle hangers in the right spot, and I will thanks to the measurements Gary took of his stock shackle hangers.

Yes, microanalysis. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But at least you have gotten something from it - measurements. And if you need more you know I can get them. :nabble_smiley_wink: